Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

So i paid $259 for my G Pad and almost sold it the other day to buy a GPe, now we have no need, now that CM11 has ironed out the wrinkles with the Audio, Wifi and SD Card, its amazing, no need to sell up and go buy the GPe, you can get Kitkat running on your G Pad right now, i threw the GE Launcher on it and its just like my Nexus 5 was but in 8.3 inch tablet form, its blazing fast, has no system lag like the LG rom has, if you was thinking of getting one of these but wanted the stock Google version then save some cash and buy the regular version, its super easy to root, simple enough to add recovery (TWRP) and super simple to flash, dont forget to make a nandroid before you flash CM11 just in case you dont like it and want to go back to stock, and another good thing about this tablet is that if you mange to bork it while flashing its really simple to factory restore with the guide on xda

Anyways here is Kit Kat 4.4.2 with Gel on the G Pad

My 9 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one-2013-12-13-08.35.23.jpg
    My 9 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one-2013-12-13-08.35.43.jpg
    My 9 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one-2013-12-13-08.35.54.jpg

I`ll try get a video up later showing you around CM11 of this device for people that have not used it

Here is CM11 and Gapps

Here is TWRP

Here is Root

And this is how to restore to factory if needed

Seems this is one of those almost unbrickable devices, i say almost as im sure at least one person somewhere will figure out how to brick their own
    Last edited by angry english; 12-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    BriVGerwaso 
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    13,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: My $259 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one

Cool. Glad you are up to date. Thanks for sharing the news about CM.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: My $259 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I may give it a go this evening.

EDIT: As tempted as I am I might just wait for CM11 to roll stable. My gp is working just fine and I'm not aware of the lag Angry noted.

I do wonder though. Will you be able to update OTA to CM11 stable or will you have to reflash?
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 12-13-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Live long and prosper.

angry english likes this.

This is awesome. I myself will wait for a mfg. Release, but will revert to this if none appears by end of Q1

FYI - the twrp link brings me to the same page as the ROM link...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Changed it, how strange, wasn't even the same link

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    BriVG 
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

CM isn't "stock" Android.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I never said it was, but neither is the version on the nexus if we are going to be that picky, aosp is stock

groundfighter likes this.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

Agreed, even CM on its best day (build) isnt as stable as stock. I have been flashing CM for years and want something that just works now.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
    Agreed, even CM on its best day (build) isnt as stable as stock. I have been flashing CM for years and want something that just works now.
    I have CM on two of my phones now for over 3 weeks and haven't experienced any crashes or reboots on either device. No lag or lockups. No strange behavior that I'm aware of. What else would constitute stability...or lack thereof?

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have the new nightly on my G Pad now and no issues neither, pretty sure this will be a stable release soon, when cm releases a stable release its usually called that for a reason

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

KInda wish I had jumped on the Newegg deal for $179 but there was virtually no development for it. In hindsight I should have purchased a couple at that price to sell or gift. Having an N7 made it hard to justify another tablet with specs so close. It would have been nice to see how the G2 and GPad worked together with their stock LG firmwares though.
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus

Where are you finding this tablet for 259?

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

That ship has sailed. New Egg or BB offered them at that price recently. Now they're back up to $329.99.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Aredubu View Post
    That ship has sailed. New Egg or BB offered them at that price recently. Now they're back up to $329.99.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
    Just checked Best Buy, they're showing it for 299.99

Mine is on it's way from Newegg, was a Deal of the day for $279.99 then another $28 off if you signed up for their masterpass setup
    so with $4 for 3 day shipping to get it here for xmas was $255 delivered

Quote Originally Posted by allbroncos View Post
    Just checked Best Buy, they're showing it for 299.99

It was $299 last night but it's back up to $349 today.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
    It was $299 last night but it's back up to $349 today.
    Still 299 on newegg at least. For now anyway

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    Still 299 on newegg at least. For now anyway

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Cool thanks.

Newegg doesn't allow returns without a restocking fee though right? (for non-defective items). Best Buy is pretty good about it so I generally buy from them. I'm guessing the price will go down again soon.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
    True
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I have zero tolerance for things that don't work exceedingly well. Especially, when there are good alternatives. If CM didn't work perfectly it wouldn't be allowed on any device I use. ...and its on not one but two of my phones. Trust me, CM 10.2 works EXACTLY as prescribed. At least for me anyways.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

You've had it for 3 weeks, whereas CellGuy has used it for 2 years. I've also used CM and numerous other ROMs for years and decided to stop using them simply because official firmware is simply better, is backed up by far larger teams of professional engineers, but most importantly the evolution of Android OS has surpassed ROMs which were more of a necessity of sorts back in the versions prior to ICS but are now more of a tinkering/hobby niche. Although I'm not debating that from your 3 weeks experience and high standards you haven't experienced any problems but CellGuy was pretty accurate. CM (and other ROMs) do indeed have issues of their own and always have. CM's own official buglist is substantial enough to make that pretty clear. I'm not saying they're terrible or unusable. And some devices will have less problems on a particular ROM than others, YMMV as far as that's concerned.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I guess CM has just matured to a state where its good enough for me. Lighter than most OEM ROMs but more feature-packed than stock Android. As long as it continues to be flawless on my devices I'm satisfied. If it ever lets me down it'll be gone quick, fast, and in a hurry.
    Live long and prosper.

Why in the wide world of sports would you want ti make an already excellent gpad with great extras into a somewhat bigger n7? Plus theres nothing great about kikat. I have it on my 2013 n7 and my reaction? Meh!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Why in the wide world of sports would you want ti make an already excellent gpad with great extras into a somewhat bigger n7? Plus theres nothing great about kikat. I have it on my 2013 n7 and my reaction? Meh!
    Well the system lag with the LG skin sucks, people say it isn't there but it is, this is my 2nd G pad and the lag is the same, kitkat runs a lot smoother than 4.2.2, as does 4.3, slide aside is useless, I have QPair still, I can still knock on, with CM11 I have zero lag, its very responsive, and as for saying why would you want a bigger nexus 7..... That's like saying what is the point in owning a nexus 10, the G Pad offers much more real estate with its screen size without being a big cumbersome 10 inch tablet, what extras do you have on your LG skinned G Pad that are so good that I don't have on CM with my G Pad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast