Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Damn you Apple!

    Went to Best Buy last night fully intending on buying the 8.3. Since I was buying my wife an iPad Air, I decided to pick up the Mini Retina. Big mistake.

    I use my tablet primarily for web browsing, gaming, watching movies and Facebook, Twitter etc. With that in mind, I loaded a few different web pages, 2 different games and 2 HD movies trailers.

    I did the identical functions on the Mini Retina and the 8.3. The Mini was noticeably smoother in web browsing, smoother in gaming and the trailers looked better. As many reviews have pointed out, the LG is a bit dim and dark colors tend not to be distinguishable. This was apparent in the trailers.

    So I walked out an Air and a Mini Retina. I'll keep rocking with my N5, S4 and One but Apple still rules the roost IMO on tablets although they are ridiculously over-priced.
    Ry likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I am just the opposite. I will probably never buy anything but an iPhone for my phone but, for tablets, I want Android and have no interest in the iPads.

    Just bought a g pad today and it should arrive by Christmas. Currently use a Kindle Fire 1 with CM11.
  3. #3  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I've been so tempted to get the iPad mini this go round.I haven't owned an apple device since an iPod mini back in 2004 but I've been tablet hopping this month and not satisfied with any of them. We shall see.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    the LG is a bit dim
    I have to say I really cannot understand why people say the LG G Pad's display is dim?
    I've had this tablet for almost a month, and I usually keep the screen at about 40% (or less) brightness when inside in artificial light, and at about 60 to 70% when outside in daylight. It IS BRIGHT! And if you go anywhere close to 100% you may go blind. So I really do not get the complaints. Either everyone else is blind, or I have hawkeyes...
    stujoe, ffejjj and mrsmumbles like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I personally won't touch anything iPhone or iPad.

    Posted via Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
  6. #6  
    xchange's Avatar

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    For just another $50 the mini retina simply out performs the gpad in every way. Of course if you can't abide iOS that won't matter. Now if we're talking a $230 n7 and $400 mini price difference, choosing the mini becomes more difficult.
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.
  7. #7  
    rjl2's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I really wanted a tablet in the 8" range and was looking for a replacement for my Nexus 7 (2012). I was seriously considering the LG when I received the iPad mini retina as a gift.

    It is the first Apple product I have ever owned and I have to admit it is very nice. Like the OP, I mostly use my tablet for web, movies and email (no gaming for me). So far, the mini has been great. The screen is awesome, it is very fast, and with the Google apps I use loaded on it works fine for my needs.

    I'm sticking with Android for my phone, but I think the iPad mini is a keeper, though as noted the price of entry is quite steep.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
  8. #8  
    dwd3885's Avatar

    Posts
    515 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I would get an iPad, but price too much more than a great android tablet, and the fact that I buy an app on android it'll work on my phone and tab is huge. Don't have to purchase on iOS and Android. That sealed it for me.

    Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
  9. #9  
    dwd3885's Avatar

    Posts
    515 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    For just another $50 the mini retina simply out performs the gpad in every way. Of course if you can't abide iOS that won't matter. Now if we're talking a $230 n7 and $400 mini price difference, choosing the mini becomes more difficult.
    I'm not sure how it would "outperform the g pad in every way."

    Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    I'm not sure how it would "outperform the g pad in every way."

    Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
    It doesn't

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    clemson77on likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    You really should look at the Nexus 7. A nice alternative to my wife's mini.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    xchange's Avatar

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    I'm not sure how it would "outperform the g pad in every way."

    Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    It doesn't

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    • I It's faster than the gpad: The A7 64 bit CPU and PowerVR G6430 GPU are faster than both of what's inside the G Pad. And it shows. The Mini 2 destroys the G pad on benchmarks.
    • has far more tablet optimized apps and a far better game selection
    • a better resolution (2048 x 1536 at 324ppi pixel density vs. 1920x1200 with lower 273ppi pixel density. The Gpad currently has the lowest density of all between these two tablets, the Fire HDX, and the N7), 450 nits of brightness for the iPad Mini 2 against the G Pad's 345 nits
    • iPad's TV connectivity is simply easier than pretty much any Android device, however LG decided to make it worse by going with the Slimport Adapter method rather than the more widely adopted and available MHL standard. (I'm assuming because they wanted to cheap out by not paying MHL licensing fee. Slimport is open license, but the lower quality than MHL is obvious)
    • Mini 2 has twice the headphone voltage output, while the G Pad only offers slightly higher speaker voltage output.
    • Mini 2 is rated 9-11 hours of battery life while G pad is rated at 7-9.
    • More expensive construction quality


    [understatement]To name a few... [/understatement]


    Price tag is only $50 difference, which makes the G pad the tough one to choose in my books. I'd much rather buy a N7 with the bigger price difference to make it worthwhile. The most I'd pay for a G Pad would be $300 tops. If you can get one of those sales or less, then the list above becomes more irrelevant. As it also does if you simply can't abide iOS, but I already mentioned that point earlier. Personally I'll never pay more than $300 for any tablet at all because I switch them once/year and consider them disposable. I invest more $ in laptops instead since I keep those longer.
    Last edited by xchange; 12-31-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    The g pad is under $300 again. Go buy one
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    The g pad is under $300 again. Go buy one
    Agreed. I just can't see the value in the iPad mini. I think Apple screwed up with that one. Too me, if you are going to spend close to $400 on the mini, then better off spending a little more and getting the iPad Air. You can get the Air for $479 at Walmart and I have seen some specials for $459. Thus to me that is a better spend than $400 on the mini. In any case, as mentioned, the G Pad is currently available at $279. I would bet this will continue to be discounted over the coming months and eventually settle in at at $250 - $280 price point permanently. This way they have a little swing over the GPE version. And at the lower price point, a much better buy to me than the mini.
  15. #15  
    xchange's Avatar

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I agree as well, there's not enough difference between the mini and air to go with the mini unless fitting in a jacket or cargo pocket is a big preference.
    And at the 270 price you mentioned the g pad becomes better as a choice than their original 350 although I'm biased towards the N7 with a higher ppi at that range
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I would not have paid 350 for the g Pad just as I would not pay $400 for a mini. But, at around 275 vs the current competition, the price for the g Pad is just about right. 400 is way too much for a mini compared to the competition (Air and Android)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    I agree as well, there's not enough difference between the mini and air to go with the mini unless fitting in a jacket or cargo pocket is a big preference.
    And at the 270 price you mentioned the g pad becomes better as a choice than their original 350 although I'm biased towards the N7 with a higher ppi at that range
    Thats $199 now plus google play credit lol
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by stujoe View Post
    I am just the opposite. I will probably never buy anything but an iPhone for my phone but, for tablets, I want Android and have no interest in the iPads.

    Just bought a g pad today and it should arrive by Christmas. Currently use a Kindle Fire 1 with CM11.
    Why? What's your reasoning? I am the same but only because the nexus is perfect for what I use my tablet for reading and browsing more the former than the latter. Why do you prefer android tablets. If the iPad mini was narrower I would go for it though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Pro
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I have the G Pad and my wife has an iPad 4 and there's no way in Hades I'd trade. It's not the hardware (although I actually prefer the screen ratio and width of mine to a mini), it's the walled garden of iOS. Also, when we go on trips, we only need to take mine because she has her own user account on my tablet. Try that on an iPad.
    gdmin likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    Why? What's your reasoning? I am the same but only because the nexus is perfect for what I use my tablet for reading and browsing more the former than the latter. Why do you prefer android tablets. If the iPad mini was narrower I would go for it though.
    My tablet is purely for entertainment and fun. I like to be able to customize it and add widgets and wallpapers or a new launcher or even root and rom it. Android fits that. My phone just needs to work. It can be boring and utilitarian as long as it is rock solid and completely useful and reliable when I really need it. iOS fits that. I will say that, if I needed a tablet at work, I'd buy an Air.
    dc9super80 likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by stujoe View Post
    My tablet is purely for entertainment and fun. I like to be able to customize it and add widgets and wallpapers or a new launcher or even root and rom it. Android fits that. My phone just needs to work. It can be boring and utilitarian as long as it is rock solid and completely useful and reliable when I really need it. iOS fits that. I will say that, if I needed a tablet at work, I'd buy an Air.
    Makes perfect sense.

    Maybe I should consider a bigger android tablet later on. My nexus is great for reading but I do plan to pick up an e-reader. Then a 8 or 10 inch android tablet might be perfect for messing around.

    I do agree with you about the phone, I don't mess with that. My iPhone is very dependable and I haven't had to change or configure much since my 3GS thanks to iCloud.

    ing from my awesome iPhone 5 or very comfy Nexus 7
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by dc9super80 View Post
    Makes perfect sense.

    Maybe I should consider a bigger android tablet later on. My nexus is great for reading but I do plan to pick up an e-reader. Then a 8 or 10 inch android tablet might be perfect for messing around.
    I am coming from a seven inch tablet and the 8.3 is a lot easier on my eyes. Of course I am also coming from a first gen kindle fire so the resolution of the LG is much better too. It might not be as noticeable going from a Nexus to an eight plus inch tablet unless you got to a ten or so inch. But 10 is getting too big for my uses. The LG is still light and small enough for me to one hand even when reading in bed at night.

    I am really loving this LG all around but, again, if I was going from a Nexus Seven inch instead of an old fire, it might not be much different.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ffejjj and dc9super80 like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    I have both a nexus 7 and TWO gpads and the difference is immense. When the nexus was the only game in town it was great. Now i hardly use it. The gpad real estate -- 8.3 vs. 7 -- makes all the difference. Plus the lg skin is great. I have 2 because i jumped in on the quiet newegg deal of $175 for the gpad and got the first for $299 from bb. My wife has the 8 inch samsung tablet, got the staples $229 deal, which is also pretty impressive despite lower specs.
    ffejjj likes this.
  24. #24  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Soooooo how is the iPad mini working out for those that got it instead. I got the lg g pad this week but I am still on the fence. Battery life so far has been meh and there is a bit of lag but no other decent android tablets in this size ( until the new Samsung is released )

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Damn you Apple!

    Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    Soooooo how is the iPad mini working out for those that got it instead. I got the lg g pad this week but I am still on the fence. Battery life so far has been meh and there is a bit of lag but no other decent android tablets in this size ( until the new Samsung is released )

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    No regrets with the Mini. No lag, amazing display, perfect size, wide variety of cases, tablet optimized App store. Best of all words, N5 for phone, iPad for tablet.
    Thanked by:
    codeda 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
  2. WTS/WTT: Sprint Apple iPhone 5
    By beathookup in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 02:35 AM
  4. Can you help us?
    By SMSroutemaster in forum Beta Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 05:00 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

B