How do I get rid of McAfee

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting notifications on my G Pad that there is an update for McAfee. I don't want to update it, I want it off my tablet! Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Anybody know how to uninstall it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did it come with McAfee? If so, you probably can't uninstall it. Unless you root your device, the best you could do is Disable it in the Settings>Apps menu. If you have problems with that, go to Settings>Security>Device Administrators, and see if McAfee is listed there and checked--if so, uncheck it, then try to Disable or uninstall it.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
You need to open it and go into settings, there should be an uninstall option there. Their excuse for shading it out in apps is that it stops other apps disabling it.
On a slightly different subject, I know it will be completely obvious but how do you add screens?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Another recommendation to root your device if you have not already. Then you can use an app like Titanium backup to freeze it, as well as remove it if you don't want it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Would this really come with that kind of software installed?

More and more devices come with preinstalled security apps. Lookout comes to mind, although I think that one's pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if McAfee came preinstalled on other phones. I know that Verizon's branded security app uses McAfee, but so far, they aren't preinstalling it on their devices. Yet.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't come pre-installed but as an app they recommend installing, so you get notifications occasionally.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

timdodd

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd actually forgotten about McAfee as I dealt with it the moment I saw signs of it on my G Pad. I can't remember whether or not I had to uninstall it or just tell it to **** off at the first notification, but there is no sign of it on my machine other than as a downloadable option. Obviously I won't be clicking on those links.

2014-01-17-09-28-55.png

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I forgot about this thread until I just now got another notification. It seems as if McAfee isn't actually installed, I'm just constantly getting notifications to download it. I turned of the notifications for the update center, but I would have preferred to just stop getting those stupid McAfee notifications as I'd still like to know when there are updates available.

dorblayzer

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd actually forgotten about McAfee as I dealt with it the moment I saw signs of it on my G Pad. I can't remember whether or not I had to uninstall it or just tell it to **** off at the first notification, but there is no sign of it on my machine other than as a downloadable option. Obviously I won't be clicking on those links.

View attachment 101177

hi,
how did you added the percentage next to the battery icon?
you use a custom ROM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair