1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tablet confusion

Given the amount of tablets on the market, I can't believe I'm struggling to find one. I'm hoping the forum collective can help me figure it out!!

My phone of choice is a Nexus 5. The best phone I've ever owned (had the N4 before that, and iPhones previous to that).

Tablet wise I had an iPad 2 and then a 64gb iPad Mini (gen 1). I've lost my Mini to the wife and kids and now need another tablet for work at under the 250 price point.

Despite my love of Android I always felt Apple was the way to go with tablets given the absurd fragmentation and version control issues I witness with Android tablets that results in a lottery as to whether an app will work correctly. This would be a no brainer and I'd go straight in for another gen 1 iPad Mini (the gen 2 Mini and Air pricing is insane) but there's an issue - iOS7. On the Mini it created 2 big problems for me on what at that point was the best tablet I had ever owned; it slowed the device down massively and worst of all the change in font size and type on the non retina display makes reading email or documents on it a disaster. But that said, given the stable ecosystem and pricing, I have to consider a 32gb version as a contender.

I should however be looking at Android as that would be my preference. There is another issue - I want something between 8 and 10 inches. That rules out the Nexus 7 which is an amazing tablet with totally the wrong size screen size. Here's hoping the 8 inch rumours are true. So I've been considering the LG G Pad (which I could root to stock 4.4 if I really felt I needed to) or the 8 inch version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. At the moment I'm favouring the G Pad as the size looks great and I really feel LG are going in the right direction.

I know I'm asking an Android biased audience, but I'd be keen to hear what the concenscious is for Mini gen 1 versus LG G Pad versus Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Tablet confusion

Quote Originally Posted by SiBlackwell View Post
    Given the amount of tablets on the market, I can't believe I'm struggling to find one. I'm hoping the forum collective can help me figure it out!!

My phone of choice is a Nexus 5. The best phone I've ever owned (had the N4 before that, and iPhones previous to that).

Tablet wise I had an iPad 2 and then a 64gb iPad Mini (gen 1). I've lost my Mini to the wife and kids and now need another tablet for work at under the 250 price point.

Despite my love of Android I always felt Apple was the way to go with tablets given the absurd fragmentation and version control issues I witness with Android tablets that results in a lottery as to whether an app will work correctly. This would be a no brainer and I'd go straight in for another gen 1 iPad Mini (the gen 2 Mini and Air pricing is insane) but there's an issue - iOS7. On the Mini it created 2 big problems for me on what at that point was the best tablet I had ever owned; it slowed the device down massively and worst of all the change in font size and type on the non retina display makes reading email or documents on it a disaster. But that said, given the stable ecosystem and pricing, I have to consider a 32gb version as a contender.

I should however be looking at Android as that would be my preference. There is another issue - I want something between 8 and 10 inches. That rules out the Nexus 7 which is an amazing tablet with totally the wrong size screen size. Here's hoping the 8 inch rumours are true. So I've been considering the LG G Pad (which I could root to stock 4.4 if I really felt I needed to) or the 8 inch version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. At the moment I'm favouring the G Pad as the size looks great and I really feel LG are going in the right direction.

I know I'm asking an Android biased audience, but I'd be keen to hear what the concenscious is for Mini gen 1 versus LG G Pad versus Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Of your choices, I would say the G Pad. I have seen a fair number of threads involving construction flaws/problems with the Tab 3. Now, I do realize a place like this is where rarely anyone posts 'I have no problems with <random device>. Just wanted to say I like it.' So, you may get a good one.

I have another to suggest, and I don't believe it is out yet. The 8.4 Tablet.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your thoughts. That Samsung does look nice. You just know they'll be charging $$$$ for it though.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for your thoughts. That Samsung does look nice. You just know they'll be charging $$$$ for it though.

Very true. Do you have a price limit?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I need to come in at sub 250. I've seen the G Pad for as little as 205, but from online retailers with delivery timelines that lead you to believe you might end up with a grey import that comes with some Japanese plug. To play it safe with a retailer where I know I will get UK spec stock I would be looking at about 229.

Global Posts
    13,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I need to come in at sub 250. I've seen the G Pad for as little as 205, but from online retailers with delivery timelines that lead you to believe you might end up with a grey import that comes with some Japanese plug. To play it safe with a retailer where I know I will get UK spec stock I would be looking at about 229.
    Give the G Pad a shot.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

For me, it came down to one of the Samsung eights or the LG. I just liked the LG better for the interface. I have an iPhone but have never been interested in an iPad. I like the customization of android for tablets. If I used a tablet for work I might feel different but I find android a lot more fun and that is what I use a tablet for.

Try Electrical 1 2 3 They do a "Free" Next day courier Price is 195.95 --- I paid 229 last week!!!!!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Went with the G Pad. Just ordered from Co Op who reduced the price this morning to 199 with free next day delivery.

Think I made the right choice. Just go to find a decent smart cover style case. The ones on Amazon look a bit bulky.

Thanks for everyone's advice. As always, great community on here.

The samsung galaxy 3 8.0 is slow. Otherwise its nice. The lg g pad stock is great -- i have two. The VERY best samsung is the Note 8.0. On a par with the LG but with the benefit of the S Pen. Both run 4.2.2.

The tab 3 8.0 isn't that slow.