1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G Pad 8.3: How hard is this to root?

Considering buying this over the GP edition because of the sale on New egg, plus it comes in white there. I'm a fairly experienced Android user, but it's only been with Nexus devices. So, how hard is this to root? And does rooting disable features like knock on?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: How hard is this to root?

Not very hard to root at all. Check this guide I wrote some time ago. There's a one-click tool available for this device.

Not hard and does not disable knock on.

Just read the direction a few times to get it right in one shot

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Just rooted mine. For some reason I had to run the root.bat file twice, but all is well now.

The reason I don't root is not that I'm afraid of actually doing it, its because I have no idea what to do once its done

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Default Re: LG G Pad 8.3: How hard is this to root?

I wanted mine rooted for 2 reasons. First, because it's mine and I have the right to do as I please with my property. Second, I needed it rooted to use my PS3 controller, via Bluetooth, to play Riptide GP2 and Dead Trigger 2.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the info everyone. Here's another question: does installing a custom launcher (like Nova, Google Now, etc.) disable the knock on? The knock-on feature and haptic feedback are two attractive things about this device over the N7, so I want to know how much customization I could do with it without disabling those features.

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Here's another question: does installing a custom launcher (like Nova, Google Now, etc.) disable the knock on? The knock-on feature and haptic feedback are two attractive things about this device over the N7, so I want to know how much customization I could do with it without disabling those features.
    Knock on works with GNL haven't tried Nova yet

As far as I know Knock On feature will only work when you knock/double tap on LG Home Launcher, but it can still work when you double tap on notification bar if you are using custom launcher. I tried all custom launchers from play store and still no work unless I double tap on notification bar.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm using the nova launcher. Double tapping will wake the G pad up just like with the stock launcher. But you must double tap the notification bar to put it to sleep.

I used knock on reliably with nova for a couple of weeks. I now have a case whose cover triggers the magnetic sensor to wake and sleep the tab.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk