Is the LG G pad 8.3 still a worthy tab?

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Have the opportunity to purchase one at a good price

Currently have a G3 (adore this device) and just sold my galaxy tab 10.1 2014 edition. The galaxy was extremely sluggish and it drove crazy

How are you all finding this tab. Are you all on kitkat.

Thanks for your time

Posted via the Android Central App

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the Lg G pad 8.4 still a worthy tab?

i'm on 4.4.2 and still love mine. Got it on launch day. Can't beat it for the money IMO, the Samsung GTabPro 8.4 is nice but overpriced still.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the Lg G pad 8.4 still a worthy tab?

I picked up a used g pad 8.3 for $100 and it is excellent for the price i paid

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just curious - What made y'all choose this over something like, say a Nexus 7 or the NVIDIA Shield?

I am in the market for a 8ish" screen tablet with Verizon LTE and preferably a stylus. For me: The Nexus is just getting old and the NVIDIA Shield LTE will be only for GSM. The G Pad 8.3 has caught my attention because a) its on Verizon; and b) because of the quick notes feature. However, I have heard lots of mentions of it being bogged down with crapware.

Do you think it will get Android L?

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Just curious - What made y'all choose this over something like, say a Nexus 7 or the NVIDIA Shield?

I am in the market for a 8ish" screen tablet with Verizon LTE and preferably a stylus. For me: The Nexus is just getting old and the NVIDIA Shield LTE will be only for GSM. The G Pad 8.3 has caught my attention because a) its on Verizon; and b) because of the quick notes feature. However, I have heard lots of mentions of it being bogged down with crapware.

Do you think it will get Android L?
i got the g pad 8.3 over nexus 7 due to screen size and it felt better in the hand. i can still one-hand hold the device but the screen real estate is still "just right".

the g pad got the kit kat update fairly quickly as compared to other devices and as far as "crapware" is concerned, the lg skin actually adds functionality to the tablet. otherwise, you can turnoff many of the apps you don't need and it will not run in the background. tablet runs fairly quickly for my usage (email, casual browsing, youtube/netflix/chromecast, e-pub/pdf reading)

one feature i use almost every day is Qremote. it is a godsend when using the tablet+chromecast. no need to fiddle with an additional tv controller!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I already had an original Nexus 7 8gb but wanted something alittle larger, better CPU/GPU, SD card slot, IR blaster, and a full HD display with a smaller bezel. Without being too much more than the Nexus 7 2013. When I found the G-pad on Newegg for $250 it had all the wanted features I was looking for at a good price.

Now that I have rooted and am using custom firmware this thing flies. The stock LG UI is not bad or laggy it is just alittle heavy and wasteful. I used the stock firmware for several months and it wasn't till the Chromecast glitches that I started seeking custom firmware. After getting the custom firmware in place. I have noticed a huge increase in standby battery life to the tune of 10+ hours using less than 2%. And a major reduction in temperature while gaming which was completely unexpected. Only loss in functionality is when using the knock OFF feature I have to tap the top status bar but the knock ON feature works the same as stock.

ememeh

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I already had an original Nexus 7 8gb but wanted something alittle larger, better CPU/GPU, SD card slot, IR blaster, and a full HD display with a smaller bezel. Without being too much more than the Nexus 7 2013. When I found the G-pad on Newegg for $250 it had all the wanted features I was looking for at a good price.

Now that I have rooted and am using custom firmware this thing flies. The stock LG UI is not bad or laggy it is just alittle heavy and wasteful. I used the stock firmware for several months and it wasn't till the Chromecast glitches that I started seeking custom firmware. After getting the custom firmware in place. I have noticed a huge increase in standby battery life to the tune of 10+ hours using less than 2%. And a major reduction in temperature while gaming which was completely unexpected. Only loss in functionality is when using the knock OFF feature I have to tap the top status bar but the knock ON feature works the same as stock.
Which ROM did you go with, may I ask?

DLS77

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am a TOTAL novice, so please excuse this question if it's something I should know. Can a Verizon branded LG G Pad 8.3 be used on ATT? VZ is running a promotion for a free LG tab because i have Fios with them; however, my mobile carrier is ATT. I know I can just use WiFi, but I think I want to have it on a network for consistent access.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

boxer2

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I am a TOTAL novice, so please excuse this question if it's something I should know. Can a Verizon branded LG G Pad 8.3 be used on ATT? VZ is running a promotion for a free LG tab because i have Fios with them; however, my mobile carrier is ATT. I know I can just use WiFi, but I think I want to have it on a network for consistent access.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The answer is probably not. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and ATT is a GSM carrier so the radio inside the unit is not compatible with ATT. I guess it could have GSM capability but I doubt it. To get the "free" Gpad don't you have to have a two year commitment with Verizon?