LG G Pad 8.3 - Loving it so far

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a refurbished LG G Pad 8.3 tablet from Groupon for $179.99...I ran the setup and Android OS upgrade to 4.4.2 (and Knock-Code) and am loving it so far. I disabled lots of LG apps that I don't have a use for; I also ordered a 64GB microSDXC memory card (waiting to be shipped) so I can store any photos/videos before deciding to upload them to any cloud storage.

The tablet is very fast, responsive, and fits easy on my hand...I have an old Motorola Xoom WiFi tablet which is nice but it's starting to slow down.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought an LTE version and was pleasantly surprised by how nice of a tablet it is. I have had several android devices but stayed away from LG but I was impressed enough that I picked up a G3 too.

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the same impression at first until very recently.

not sure where I'm supposed to post this since I can't make a thread of my own until I reply to 10 threads [language removed by Moderator]. so if anyone can help, I would be obliged. this is my first android. I went from loving it, to HATING IT! thinking of just sticking to using kindle books on it.

-my G Pad gets laggy now. i have 5 gigs of space left. and every now and then it would freeze for a second or two. i lend it to a friend and she asked me why its slow sometimes and freezes?

-some keys like " at the top of the LG default keyboards where all the , . ( ) - ! ~ chars are are not registering when i tap them. i nearly broke my tablet just now. I AM SO FRUSTRATED I WANNA BREAK IT WITH A HAMMER!!!

[language removed by Moderator] is up with Android not even having copy/paste/select/select all option? i use Opera and i gotta hold down in a space like this one where it SELECTS THE ENTIRE FREE SPACE UP UNTIL THE LAST SENTENCE[----------------------------------------------------------] < ALL OF THIS WOULD BE SELECTED IF I WANTED TO PASTE A LINK HERE. arghh.. so retarded. is this Android or Opera?

-when my alarm goes off morning, sometimes tablet just gets stuck at the logon screen. it just stays on until i manually turn it off. when it would turn itself off after 15 secs or how long i set it in the settings

-rotation option is not very responsive, and much worse then iOS imo. and I hate apple and their stupid [language removed by Mooderator] ITUNES! HATE IT!!! but iOS is easier to use, which brings me to the next point.

-unable to copy/paste pics from websites. say i go to a craigslist and copy the entire ad with a car with pics. when I go paste it to my email to email it to self, it would NOT copy over pics, but only text.[language removed by Moderator] !!?!?!?!? I could do this in iOS. why not Android.

am i doing somethings wrong with the lag and other issues i am having? i have Avast anti-virus on this thing. so it can't be a virus right? i cleared cache from browsers (chrome,opera, don't even bother using the default internet one). how do i make this thing fast like it was when i first bought it? i am so frustrated i feel like just sticking with a cheap laptop and throwing this thing in the ocean, but not before i destroy it with the biggest hammer i could find.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the same impression at first until very recently.

not sure where I'm supposed to post this since I can't make a thread of my own until I reply to 10 threads [language]. so if anyone can help, I would be obliged. this is my first android. I went from loving it, to HATING IT! thinking of just sticking to using kindle books on it.

-my G Pad gets laggy now. i have 5 gigs of space left. and every now and then it would freeze for a second or two. i lend it to a friend and she asked me why its slow sometimes and freezes?

-some keys like " at the top of the LG default keyboards where all the , . ( ) - ! ~ chars are are not registering when i tap them. i nearly broke my tablet just now. I AM SO FRUSTRATED I WANNA BREAK IT WITH A HAMMER!!!

-[language] is up with Android not even having copy/paste/select/select all option? i use Opera and i gotta hold down in a space like this one where it SELECTS THE ENTIRE FREE SPACE UP UNTIL THE LAST SENTENCE[----------------------------------------------------------] < ALL OF THIS WOULD BE SELECTED IF I WANTED TO PASTE A LINK HERE. arghh.. so retarded. is this Android or Opera?

-when my alarm goes off morning, sometimes tablet just gets stuck at the logon screen. it just stays on until i manually turn it off. when it would turn itself off after 15 secs or how long i set it in the settings

-rotation option is not very responsive, and much worse then iOS imo. and I hate apple and their stupid [language] ITUNES! HATE IT!!! but iOS is easier to use, which brings me to the next point.

-unable to copy/paste pics from websites. say i go to a craigslist and copy the entire ad with a car with pics. when I go paste it to my email to email it to self, it would NOT copy over pics, but only text.[language]!!?!?!?!? I could do this in iOS. why not Android.

am i doing somethings wrong with the lag and other issues i am having? i have Avast anti-virus on this thing. so it can't be a virus right? i cleared cache from browsers (chrome,opera, don't even bother using the default internet one). how do i make this thing fast like it was when i first bought it? i am so frustrated i feel like just sticking with a cheap laptop and throwing this thing in the ocean, but not before i destroy it with the biggest hammer i could find.

I only read the beginning of your post (haven't had my coffee yet). Perhaps all you need to do to restore your G Pad to greatness is to wipe the cache partition. Here's how: http://www.mobiany.com/how-to-wipe-the-cache-partition-on-lg-g-pad-8-3.html

from the VI+ ������

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
wiping the cache partition=restoring to factory reset? I wanna keep all my apps and their saved data on them, though. otherwise, all my [language removed by Moderator] will be gone...

isn't there something else I could do?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
wiping the cache partition=restoring to factory reset? I wanna keep all my apps and their saved data on them, though. otherwise, all my [language] will be gone...

isn't there something else I could do?
No, wiping the cache partition does not molest or interfere with your data in any way. Your data is safe.

from the 3

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
okay, I'll try it tonight when I get home. I was just watching that video in the first reply link to me and the guy was doing a tutorial on how to reset to factory settings... thanks.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
You need to buy a microSD card to store your photos and videos taken with the camera...and don't clog the tablet with all kinds of apps. Then from time to time clear the system cache (Settings > Storage > Clear cache) and restart the device.

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
No, wiping the cache partition does not molest or interfere with your data in any way. Your data is safe.

from the 3

also, does clearing the "Cached data" in Settings > Storage perform the same task as wiping cache partition? isn't wiping the cache partition basically doing the same? on my G Pad, I could just clear cached data for all apps... would that be doing the same as what's been suggested with wiping cache partition?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
also, does clearing the "Cached data" in Settings > Storage perform the same task as wiping cache partition? isn't wiping the cache partition basically doing the same? on my G Pad, I could just clear cached data for all apps... would that be doing the same as what's been suggested with wiping cache partition?

That's an excellent question but one I don't know the answer to yet.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Haalcyon brought my attention to this thread: When you clear the cache through settings>storage, you are clearing application cache, but as far as I know, it doesn't clear any cache from the /system. Rebooting into recovery clears that /system cache by essentially reformatting the cache partition.

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I only read the beginning of your post (haven't had my coffee yet). Perhaps all you need to do to restore your G Pad to greatness is to wipe the cache partition. Here's how: [/url]

from the VI+ ??????

btw, these instructions don't work. I tried it 3x already. it talks about 'until your phone vibrates' but this isn't a phone. maybe the dude was talking about a diff device...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Well ... yes and no.

If you have TWRP, you can check the system cache size by doing a backup. (Don't actually do it, just get to the page you'd do it from, and you'll see the amount of data that would have been saved.) Then reboot into normal Android and do a cache clear from settings/storage. Then reboot to TWRP and check the system cache. It appears to wipe all app cache and the system cache as well. At this time (when you're in TWRP), wiping system cache doesn't do anything - it stays the same size, so it was already wiped from settings.storage.

I don't know whether the system cache is cleared by fast formatting the partition (that would probably be the fastest way) because I haven't read through the source, but how it's done is really irrelevant to anyone not writing a custom recovery. Resetting all nodes to unused would probably work just as well and be just as fast - less data to write, more work figuring out where to write, probably a wash.

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well ... yes and no.

If you have TWRP, you can check the system cache size by doing a backup. (Don't actually do it, just get to the page you'd do it from, and you'll see the amount of data that would have been saved.) Then reboot into normal Android and do a cache clear from settings/storage. Then reboot to TWRP and check the system cache. It appears to wipe all app cache and the system cache as well. At this time (when you're in TWRP), wiping system cache doesn't do anything - it stays the same size, so it was already wiped from settings.storage.

I don't know whether the system cache is cleared by fast formatting the partition (that would probably be the fastest way) because I haven't read through the source, but how it's done is really irrelevant to anyone not writing a custom recovery. Resetting all nodes to unused would probably work just as well and be just as fast - less data to write, more work figuring out where to write, probably a wash.

what's a TWRP, and how do I get there?

also, I cleared the Cached data in Settings > Storage, but it went from 500 something MB, to 417MB. I thought it was gonna clear the whole thing? not sure what to think of it...

could never get into the mode where I clear the system partition or whatever...

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
what's the purpose of rooting my device if i don't do any sort of advanced modifications? i don't wanna screw anything up. i had a co-worker that messed up his galaxy s5 after rooting it, rendering it useless.

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought an LTE version and was pleasantly surprised by how nice of a tablet it is. I have had several android devices but stayed away from LG but I was impressed enough that I picked up a G3 too.

I was pleasantly surprised how nice my new "free" G3 was on Verizon so I picked up a G pad 8.3 LTE refurb for $49 from VZW. Amazingly similar devices with great performance. I'm having no trouble leaving my DNA and N7.
:cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara