Verizon pushing 1.2GB system update.

Eureka22

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I turned on my G Pad today and after booting I noticed the download animation in the notification bar. I have Google play set to update on wi-fi only and I was on LTE data so it wasn't them. The actual notification said 'Downloading software from Verizon Wireless 0% of 1226.3MB'. WTH? I had no intention of using 25% of my data (4GB) on some mystery update. 3G Watchdog identifies it as 'MobileCare Extensions System Updates'.

I could not find a way to stop it from downloading. I ended up turning the device off.

My questions are first, what the hell is this update? Second, for future reference, is there a way to stop this or similar updates from using cellular data and use wi-fi only?

Thanks for any answers.

Update: I let it download at home on wi-fi and it is legit with links to what it does.
Fixed the signal strength indicator and the all inclusive 'Android security patches'.
That's fine but my second question remains, how do you stop it from using cell data?

Last edited:

Eureka22

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I know it does count against my data limit. It downloaded less than 100MB before I shut it off. I'm in no danger of going over but if I hadn't been actively using it I would never have known until it was too late. I've looked all over settings and except for alerting and shutting off when I reach a certain limit, there appears to be no way to restrict this 'feature'.