External MicroSD card for apps?

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to the Android world, being a diehard iOS user since 2007, and Windows Mobile before that. I've dabbled with Android devices here and there, but because of its relative inconsistency across devices, brands, carriers, etc., I've strayed away until T-Mobile offered a decent device like this for free (after rebate).

Now, I thought the whole thing about the latest Android OS was that you can move apps to the MicroSD card, but there is no option in Settings, and the apps don't seem to work. I don't plan on jailbreaking or rooting my device either, though I don't think there's an option yet anyway.

Anyone have a surefire way to do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! Not all devices allow moving apps to SD. If the device does allow it, you'd find it in Settings>Apps, and then selecting a given app. If you don't see a Move to SD button anywhere, then the device doesn't support it.

Moving an app to SD only moves a portion of the app anyway, so it doesn't really clear up much Internal Storage. The main benefit of the SD card has always been for storage of media, like music, video, and photos.

For devices that don't have the ability to move an app to SD, it is possible to add it by rooting the device and using an app like Link2SD or App Mgr III.

Ton Lo

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to the Android world, being a diehard iOS user since 2007, and Windows Mobile before that. I've dabbled with Android devices here and there, but because of its relative inconsistency across devices, brands, carriers, etc., I've strayed away until T-Mobile offered a decent device like this for free (after rebate).

Now, I thought the whole thing about the latest Android OS was that you can move apps to the MicroSD card, but there is no option in Settings, and the apps don't seem to work. I don't plan on jailbreaking or rooting my device either, though I don't think there's an option yet anyway.

Anyone have a surefire way to do this?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674