1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

Default Text messaging on g-slate

I was thinking about going from the tab to the g-slate but tmo is telling me that there is no native text messaging like the tab? That can't be right can it?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

when you order online it gives you the free unlimited text messaging. (i didn't order. i was playing around)
    I wonder if its wrong on the website.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

When you take a picture and hit share there is no messaging option. I think its a Honeycomb thing. I'm pretty disappointed.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Correct, there is currently no native application for texting. Personally i took the google voice apk and installed. It now defaults to that app for messaging. Works well.

Sent from my LG-V909 using Tapatalk

I have Google Voice on my G Slate (grabbed the app from a Xoom site) and it works fine (you need to get a Google Voice number) but I wanted to send/receive my texts from my G2 phone number so I also grabbed the app Sync SMS for tablets over at the xdadevelopers and it is working great so far.
    Last edited by Bete Noire; 05-01-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bete Noire View Post
    I have Google Voice on my G Slate (grabbed the app from a Xoom site) and it works fine (you need to get a Google Voice number) but I wanted to send/receive my texts from my G2 phone number so I also grabbed the app Sync SMS for tablets over at the xdadevelopers and it is working great so far.
    do u have the link for the google voice apk

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

The slide it application is a great substitute for swype... That wasa big thing thati missed at first, even though there isn't texting on the Slate because it was kind of a pain to type anything of length one letter at a time.

Try SyncSMS, its the best texting app I've found.

Sent from my LG-V909 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

The SyncSMS/Dropbox solution is the best I've found so far. I tried going with Google Voice but didn't like it as much.

Default Re: Text messaging on g-slate

So... I added my GSlate number to my GV. No love. So I took my sim card out and put it in a tmobile phone and imagine my surprise when GV tells me this is a PRE-PAID phone number! ARRRRRRGH! Apparently GV does not work with pre paids. XDA forums has an APX that I tried and it looks REAL good except.... I still need to get GV to recognize this number as a contract number not a prepaid number.... ARRRRGH!

went to a tmobile store and they tell me its a postpiad/contract number.... whatever the issue using the apk referred to above, GV is working like a champ. there is still a noticable delay but its working.

Gvoice hasnt given me any issues and I dont even have a sim in it at all.... Go look for the tablet modified version for xoom that someone on XDA posted. It lets you set it up easily.

interesting... the Optimus Pad, in the UK, did come with a text messaging app. Not one I'd seen on Android before. Of course, it's not associated with a mobile provider anyway, but I was certainly able to put in a SIM and use it to send texts.
    JNM

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

I would love to be able to at least text from the number at to my G-Slate data line. For now I am trying to use Google Voice and/or Google Talk instead.

As for keyboards to allow you to type more easily on the tablet you MUST try SwiftKey Tablet X. This has transformed the G-Slate typing experience into something significantly better than any other tablet keyboard can offer.