I've got the LG G Watch R, you've got questions. Let's do this.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not thrilled with the band, it seems OK but it just feels ordinary. I'm hoping to pick up the pebble steel band tomorrow and hope that works, I think that'll look nice.

As for the rest of when I opened the box my initial reaction was "that thing is huge, I'm not going to like it" - I'm not a big guy, well, I'm tall but not bulky and I don't have thick or muscular arms. When I put it on though it didn't seem as big as it looks on its own, it seems like a nice size.

Like someone else said, it doesn't feel like an expensive watch but it doesn't feel like a Casio either. I do think a metal band will help though (or a nicer leather band). I think the weight is objective, with the leather band it feels light so I think some people will like it just for that. I don't mind a little weight when I wear a watch.

As for the watch face itself, the second had does sweep on the primary screen, when the screen goes into 'dim' mode (I'm not sure what else its called) then no, theres no second hand. I'm split on the realism of the watch face.. In a passing glance I don't think people will realize its a smartwatch but anyone who gives it a close look will absolutely be able to tell its a digital face.

Setup was easy with my LG G3, took about 2 minutes. I haven't had any disconnects yet. Even though there are quite a few watch faces some aren't anything I'd consider. I like the traditional look. I hope that they open it up to customization in the future as there are bits and pieces of each I'd like. Someone asked about getting bored with the watch faces, and yes, I can see that happening, but at the same time if I spent $300+ on a regular watch I'm not changing that watch face either.

I cant speak to battery life yet, I didn't get it until late in the day. and I don't know about the stepcounter or fitness functions yet, I haven't played with those yet. Mine is a Korean model and I can't read the instruction manual to figure out all the functions yet. :)

I'll check back in as I use it more and try and help answer some questions as well. I don't have a 360, I don't like that design at all.. I did have a Samsung Gear Fit for 3 days but it wasn't for me, so I'm not sure how great I'll be at comparisons but I'll give whatever answers I can!

lgwr

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks for your report, hls811
another question: what is the 4. hand in the new watchface GMT (added with update 4.4W2) for?
cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/nexus2cee_wm_DSC05513.jpg

thanks

dmaduram

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
4 questions about the LG G Watch R. I've been eyeing this for a while, and am a fan of the rugged look compared to the Moto 360.

1. How is the vibration on the LG G Watch R? I wasn't impressed by the vibrating alarm on the Moto 360 -- it was much less noticeable in comparison to the Pebble.

2. How bright is the ambient mode?

3. How is voice recognition on the LG G Watch R? I've heard that some of the Android Wear watches have two microphones, and am curious if the voice recognition for the L G Watch R is acceptable.

4. Also curious about the 'Fitness' face on the LG G Watch R. I'm curious what are on the two dials.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alex,

Thank you for this. I guess my questions are:
  1. As has been asked already but I don't think answered - if there is no connection with a phone what functions will remain on the watch - will it just act as a standard watch or any other functions - like holding a certain amount of reminders in local memory (24 hours worth for example) - maybe too early to tell and possibly this could be something for an app to take care of.
  2. Most of the watch faces I have seen do make it look like a screen rather than a watch face - I guess it is a lot down to the design but could it pass for a standard watch or does it glow just a little too much for that?
  3. Does it seem to pair well with the phone - quickly and easily. And what is the approximate range that will keep the two connected?

Thanks Alex.
1. Apps that run on the watch itself (as opposed to being slaved to the phone through a notification) will continue to do so. Beyond that, not sure. It's really not designed to be used without a phone like, for example, the Gear S.
2. In daylight, sure. In the dark, not so much. It's too bright to pass for a regular watch.
3. About the same as the G Watch R, possibly a little wider range. For best results you won't want to be more than a couple rooms over from it though.

Are you able to access the heart rate monitor on the LG GWaR with other apps (MapMyRun, Runtastic, etc) like a regular BT HRM?

Thanks,

Eric "GuitarEC"
Not right now, but the upcoming Google Fit app may change that.

Can you, or will it be possible in the future, to store music on it?
Again, maybe with a future update. Not right now.

The Google fit apk is floating around online. OP, could you grab it and see if it captures health information from the watch? It isn't for me

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
I tried the Fit APK with the OG G Watch and the LP preview, no dice. Doesn't seem to capture stuff from the watch. I'm running 4.4.W1 on it though. It's possible more recent firmware may enable this.

Thanks for this thread, Alex!
3 questions:
  • does the seconds hand sweep or tick (e.g. like a mechanical or like a quarz watch)
  • can you tell us anything about the glass protecting the screen? is there anything to be found on the box, e.g. a gorilla glass sticker or similar?
  • does the 20 in the picture you posted indicate the date/day of month or the current hour?

Thanks!
1. Depends on the watch face. Some tick. Most sweep.
2. It feels like pretty sturdy glass with an oleophobic coating. Beyond that, I can't say much.
3. Day of the month

After day two of normal use the battery life is definitely sufficient. I put it on the charger last night before bed after wearing it all day and it was at 47%. I'm still really enjoying it and already looking at getting a new band for it. The current band is great, I'm just thinking of styling up some. I'm hoping I can find an actual wide cuff band that fits it.
I'm getting battery life at least as good as the original G Watch. A day's use, easily. I think I was at 40-ish percent after about a full day's use yesterday.

4 questions about the LG G Watch R. I've been eyeing this for a while, and am a fan of the rugged look compared to the Moto 360.

1. How is the vibration on the LG G Watch R? I wasn't impressed by the vibrating alarm on the Moto 360 -- it was much less noticeable in comparison to the Pebble.

2. How bright is the ambient mode?

3. How is voice recognition on the LG G Watch R? I've heard that some of the Android Wear watches have two microphones, and am curious if the voice recognition for the L G Watch R is acceptable.

4. Also curious about the 'Fitness' face on the LG G Watch R. I'm curious what are on the two dials.

Thanks!
1. Noticeable, but less so than the OG G Watch.
2. Pretty bright. Almost too bright when you're wearing it at night. In daylight, it's just about bright enough that you can see what's going on.
3. Same as other AW watches. OK, but I've had to repeat myself a few times.
4. One is steps, the other isn't labelled.

millerboy14

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Apps that run on the watch itself (as opposed to being slaved to the phone through a notification) will continue to do so. Beyond that, not sure. It's really not designed to be used without a phone like, for example, the Gear S.
2. In daylight, sure. In the dark, not so much. It's too bright to pass for a regular watch.
3. About the same as the G Watch R, possibly a little wider range. For best results you won't want to be more than a couple rooms over from it though.

Not right now, but the upcoming Google Fit app may change that.

Again, maybe with a future update. Not right now.

I tried the Fit APK with the OG G Watch and the LP preview, no dice. Doesn't seem to capture stuff from the watch. I'm running 4.4.W1 on it though. It's possible more recent firmware may enable this.

1. Depends on the watch face. Some tick. Most sweep.
2. It feels like pretty sturdy glass with an oleophobic coating. Beyond that, I can't say much.
3. Day of the month

I'm getting battery life at least as good as the original G Watch. A day's use, easily. I think I was at 40-ish percent after about a full day's use yesterday.

1. Noticeable, but less so than the OG G Watch.
2. Pretty bright. Almost too bright when you're wearing it at night. In daylight, it's just about bright enough that you can see what's going on.
3. Same as other AW watches. OK, but I've had to repeat myself a few times.
4. One is steps, the other isn't labelled.

Sorry for quoting all of this! But you actually can store music on the watch now. There's no way to remove it, but I have a plaulist on my watch (og g watch) as we speak, and can fire it to a bt device. You need the material design play music app

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

idle0095

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I got a LG G watch R this morning. Here is my XDA thread and a pic. Unboxing coming soon. Also Located in the USA.

Look what just came in the mail. My New G W… | LG G Watch R | XDA Forums

nBZWswM.jpg

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a LG G watch R this morning. Here is my XDA thread and a pic. Unboxing coming soon. Also Located in the USA.

Look what just came in the mail. My New G W… | LG G Watch R | XDA Forums

http://i.imgur.com/nBZWswM.jpg

This image is further proof of why they should not have put those markings on the bezel, with that watchface it's completely redundant. I understand why they needed the big bezel but they should have left it blank imo. Just as big a fail as the 360 flat tire...

WheelT

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
How does the LG G Watch R scale apps?

Since the G Watch R has a significantly smaller screen, does this watch scale the size of apps so that it runs apps laid out the same as for the Moto 360, but scaled down? Android makes it difficult to size the layout on apps, as they are dependent of density independent pixels, or the scaled font meta data. I make an app called FlickCalc (and FlickKey which unfortunately is not yet allowed on wear), and I am trying to figure out if it needs a different layout from the round Moto 360 layout. I sure would like to know if it is going to display right on this watch, as there is no emulator available for this watch.

leaponover

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Re: How does the LG G Watch R scale apps?

I've only ran into a couple apps that don't scale properly and they don't scale well on the Moto360 either. BTW the screen is not significantly smaller than the moto360. It's just a tiny bit smaller, not significant by any means.

leaponover

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Not really there are plenty of watch faces with no markings at all made for the G Watch R including ones that come with it. He's just using a watch face with redundant markings, but not every watch face would make them redundant. It's just a different style and depends on how you use it. I think leaving them blank would have been ultra silly.

leaponover

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm not thrilled with the band, it seems OK but it just feels ordinary. I'm hoping to pick up the pebble steel band tomorrow and hope that works, I think that'll look nice.

As for the rest of when I opened the box my initial reaction was "that thing is huge, I'm not going to like it" - I'm not a big guy, well, I'm tall but not bulky and I don't have thick or muscular arms. When I put it on though it didn't seem as big as it looks on its own, it seems like a nice size.

Like someone else said, it doesn't feel like an expensive watch but it doesn't feel like a Casio either. I do think a metal band will help though (or a nicer leather band). I think the weight is objective, with the leather band it feels light so I think some people will like it just for that. I don't mind a little weight when I wear a watch.

As for the watch face itself, the second had does sweep on the primary screen, when the screen goes into 'dim' mode (I'm not sure what else its called) then no, theres no second hand. I'm split on the realism of the watch face.. In a passing glance I don't think people will realize its a smartwatch but anyone who gives it a close look will absolutely be able to tell its a digital face.

Setup was easy with my LG G3, took about 2 minutes. I haven't had any disconnects yet. Even though there are quite a few watch faces some aren't anything I'd consider. I like the traditional look. I hope that they open it up to customization in the future as there are bits and pieces of each I'd like. Someone asked about getting bored with the watch faces, and yes, I can see that happening, but at the same time if I spent $300+ on a regular watch I'm not changing that watch face either.

I cant speak to battery life yet, I didn't get it until late in the day. and I don't know about the stepcounter or fitness functions yet, I haven't played with those yet. Mine is a Korean model and I can't read the instruction manual to figure out all the functions yet. :)

I'll check back in as I use it more and try and help answer some questions as well. I don't have a 360, I don't like that design at all.. I did have a Samsung Gear Fit for 3 days but it wasn't for me, so I'm not sure how great I'll be at comparisons but I'll give whatever answers I can!

Can you let me know how the metal band looks. I don't think I would pick up the pebble one because it's silver isn't it? I would probably opt for a gunmetal one. I'm also thinking about picking up a wide cuff style band. I think it might take away from the girth of the watch even though I don't find it that big. People haven't really been noticing it on my wrist. I'm just curios how the metal band will look. Let me know if it's a hair pincher too, that's my biggest fear.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Can you let me know how the metal band looks. I don't think I would pick up the pebble one because it's silver isn't it? I would probably opt for a gunmetal one. I'm also thinking about picking up a wide cuff style band. I think it might take away from the girth of the watch even though I don't find it that big. People haven't really been noticing it on my wrist. I'm just curios how the metal band will look. Let me know if it's a hair pincher too, that's my biggest fear.

I picked up the Pebble steel band but can't use it - the top/bottom links where the pin goes isn't straight (or curved) - it has 2 cutouts to match the watch face. I'm going to order something online - I'm on the fence about keeping the watch so once I figure that out I'll pick something up.

Thorsten de Ruiter

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Two questions for the users,

1. The watch does it feel or look durable, will it be one tot use for at least 2 years?

2. Pherhaps I've overlooked this question, but in some reviews it's mentioned the display is plastic and not Gorilla glass.. How does this feel in use, and is it eassally scratched?

Thanks for all of your great posts and answers in this forum by the way! Thanks in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Two questions for the users,

1. The watch does it feel or look durable, will it be one tot use for at least 2 years?

2. Pherhaps I've overlooked this question, but in some reviews it's mentioned the display is plastic and not Gorilla glass.. How does this feel in use, and is it eassally scratched?

Thanks for all of your great posts and answers in this forum by the way! Thanks in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

It feels very durable. Not quite like a high-end steel watch but definitely better than I expected.

If they didn't tell you the display was plastic I doubt you'd ever notice. It fells and swipes just as easy and any other device I've used. I didn't have it long enough to know if it would scratch but with the bezel being raised you'd have to hit it just right to even get anything to touch the screen. Anything that hit hard enough to break it if it were glass would probably do some damage to the plastic display as well. In regular use I couldn't tell the difference or that it wasn't glass.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Alex, did you get a chance to take some photos from different angles next to the Pebble?
Thanx

Posted via Android Central App

Jeff Segan

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I received the watch yesterday. I like the look and feel of it. My only question is when I voice call u have to transfer to the phone when the party picks up. The instructions were in Korean any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ampers

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I got mine yesterday.

A friend says his older one warned him if he left his phone somewhere as soon as he moved away from it.

How did it do that?