Got the LG from a UK store couple of days early ,First impression's.

Daniel Giblin

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I've had the watch a couple of days. I'm just a normal Joe public and not an industry expert so I thought you would like to know my real life experience so far.

Initially I wasn't that impressed as I had the software sideloaded pre release and it was buggy and basically just synced with Google now and not very well.
Since the official software release yesterday and a couple of new apps things look very impressive.

Design - not as bulky as I thought and I haven't had any funny looks ..yet..ha ha.

Speech recognition - is pretty good , not really comfortable doing this in public though I've got to be honest.

Little nuisances- If you wear it in the shower it keeps activating when the water hits the watch. I also wore it at the theatre last night and every time I moved my hand it was brightly illuminating ,and I had to keep knocking it off. Although it notified me to a couple of missed calls ,so rough with the smooth. 😋

Generally , battery life is one day but I've only had it a couple of days so hopefully this will improve. Contrary to rumour , it can be seen fine in sunlight , we have had some bright ,hot days in London this week and it was acceptable on level 2 brightness and I could have increased it further.

In my amateur opinion , I would pick one up , it will only get more useful as it develops. The people hanging on for the moto G cause of form factor ,I would say to give this a go it looks pretty nice and in the end of the day its what the watch does that makes these worth the purchase.

My first post so hope that's OK ,just thought I would give those waiting something to read.

Cheers
Dan

Posted via Android Central App

SmartwatchFan

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your nice product review. That makes me even more eager to get mine :)
I like the design of the LG G Watch nearly a bit more then the Moto360 design even though I like the size and the deepth of the screen on the Moto360. That is definitely one thing that LG could improve on. For example filling out the surface with the screen and bringing it further to the surface which gives screens a awesome design as I think.

You wrote that you had to "knock it off" during the theatre, but how do you turn it on once you turned it off? There is no button or such a thing to turn it on right? Did you wait until you got a pin connector into your hands?

Another thing, is it possible to turn vibrations off and at the same time being able to still get notifications?

Btw, how did you get yours so early :D?

Greetings SmartwatchFan

Daniel Giblin

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Yeah when I said 'knock it off' i meant cover the face to dim. Unfortunately I had to repeatedly do this cause as you point out their is no way to turn on without the charger.

I cant find a way to continue notifications without the vibrate ,but maybe this is something to improve with software updates. Being able to edit a message before sending it would also be a good feature for the future.

Strangely a website in the UK had them for sale at the beginning of the week, tbh it wasn't much use before the apps started coming out yesterday so no real advantage but I'm pretty happy with it this far, I think you will be too and I'm sure the little issues will be resolved through software updates with a bit of luck.

Cheers
Dan

shadowy

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the turn wrist to wake is working very well for you? It rarely works for me without a violent exaggerated twist so I'm starting to think I may have a faulty accelerometer.

amanchor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dan!

Thanks for the review.

I've read the Android Wear has the "Always On" technology, so I'm confused about your theatre trip. Was the watch face illuminated the entire time in the theater, but once you moved your wrist, it got brighter?

Daniel Giblin

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Shadowy I think it need to tilt on an angle to come on , I find it a bit hit and miss but if you twist your wrist it seems to always come on , hope that's helpfull.

Daniel Giblin

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can have it permantly on but there is an option to change this so when you cover the face it dims , I choose this to save battery . So far today I have 72% from switch on about 8am so it's the best I have got battery wise so far.

shadowy

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dan. Doesn't seem to make any difference how I twist and tilt, still doesn't wake. I think it's going back.

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
In the WEAR app it has a setting to turn off the "always on"... have u tried this? Does it turn off the always on "dimmed" state???