Those exposed contacts? Not a good idea

iborguk

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
OK LG said not our problem. You are allergic.
They stated that the metals in use are copper and stainless steel, no heavy metals which should cause an allergy. I said could it be a voltage discharge then and they said no.
Basically it was go away.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Correct, pure water doesn't conduct electricity. It needs something with active ions like salt to conduct.

I wasn't exactly talking about pure water when I posted that and I'm pretty confident that the watch's IP67 rating does not only apply to distilled water.

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't exactly talking about pure water when I posted that and I'm pretty confident that the watch's IP67 rating does not only apply to distilled water.

You're right, of course it doesn't only apply to pure water but I'm sure it assumes a minimum resistance level. I doubt it would survive being submerged in mercury for example.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Where did you buy the watch? I had a good experience returning a peeling Nexus 5 bumper case via the Play Store's costumer service (they sent me a new one, actually). I would cut out LG altogether and try the seller if you're within the return period. If it was Google, I'd even try if you're outside of it.

Thankfully, I'm not seeing corrosion on my G Watch. The middle pogo pin looks a tiny bit scratched, but that's likely from normal wear with the charging dock. I do wipe the pins with lens cleaning wipes regularly.

It sucks that's happened to you. I have definitely worn the watch when my wrist was sweaty and nothing like that has happened to me. I don't believe I have any sort of allergy to metals either. Get that thing RMA'ed.

Jlav78

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for 3 days and had no signs of corrosion or pain-It's a colder country here so less sweat. It seems likely it's that. To be safe I put a spare dbrand skin I had left over from my N4 (they sent me two because my original didn't get delivered in the Christmas Rush) just beside the pins to keep it lifted up. If it starts corroding I might put it over and try to get a NATO strap. Fairly cheap on ebay :)

I'm usually oddly lucky with these things, never get any of the 'common bugs' always reported

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
LG has released a software update to address this issue. It cuts power to the contacts when the watch is removed from the charger. The current software number ends in V, the new in Y.

Ribs85

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
LG has released a software update to address this issue. It cuts power to the contacts when the watch is removed from the charger. The current software number end in V, the new in Y

Wow. Don't think anyone saw that coming!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
LG has released a software update to address this issue. It cuts power to the contacts when the watch is removed from the charger. The current software number ends in V, the new in Y.

Wow, how did that flaw ever make it through QA in the first place?!?

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Disappointing that LG told iborguk it wasn't a problem when he approached them. LG = lying good, perhaps.

This was post #22 in this thread, I'll quote it here to save anyone interested from scrolling back.

OK LG said not our problem. You are allergic.
They stated that the metals in use are copper and stainless steel, no heavy metals which should cause an allergy. I said could it be a voltage discharge then and they said no.
Basically it was go away.

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
This comment was posted by Jack on the Android Police story reporting the update:
Just spoke to LG live chat and got the following statement out of them

LG TV, Monitors, AV and IT Support
Recently it has come to our attention that a small number of G Watch devices have been reported to have developed discoloration and residue buildup on the terminal pins located on the back. While completely safe and unlikely to affect charging, LG will be rolling out a maintenance release over the next few days that will disable the current when the G Watch is not in the charging dock. The maintenance release will be rolled out automatically over-the-air to all G Watch owners. We thank G Watch users for their patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

This could be what's in the update

iborguk

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok so just reset my watch and got the KMV78Y firmware which is supposed to fix the issue after doing a check for system update following that reset. Let's see how it goes. I also called LG today and was promised a call back before 20:00 today ... That will be in 9 mins then. Not holding my breath.....

iborguk

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok so just reset my watch and got the KMV78Y firmware which is supposed to fix the issue after doing a check for system update following that reset. Let's see how it goes. I also called LG today and was promised a call back before 20:00 today ... That will be in 9 mins then. Not holding my breath.....

OK in fairness they did call. I have demanded a replacement watch and an explanation as to why I was told it couldn't possibly be a discharge issue, after they had spoken to the factory......

Last edited:

Tyrbiter

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I received the KMV78Y update this morning, and finally got round to checking the contact voltages after applying it.

The centre contact is now at 0V as it should be, the one next to the ground contact (reset switch end) is showing 1.755V and I can feel a tingle with my tongue across those contacts. That doesn't seem right to me. Originally both these contacts measured 1.7-1.8V, so the centre one is definitely powered off now.

I will be interested to hear what you get from them about a replacement, the 2 contacts on mine, especially the centre one, are pitted and missing not just the gold plating but also noticeable amounts of the base metal.

Last edited: