Considering $50 G Watch to Compliment my 360, but...

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I own a 360, and like it's round style. I can currently pick up an LG G watch refurb for $50 on ebay, and am tempted by such a low price. I read a review of the G watch on Engadget, and I was struck by a pro and con. The pro was "Easier to read in sunlight than competition", but the con was "Horrible battery life". "Horrible" is a pretty daunting word. The 360 battery life improved with firmware updates; is this also true of the G watch? Any 360 owners that can attest one way or the other if the G watch is easier to read in sunlight?

For those interested in the $50 deal: LG G Watch Black W100 Android Wear Smartwatch FRB | eBay

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a G watch as well as a 360 and my experience is the exact opposite. Battery life is fantastic at about 33 hours with ambient display on. Visibility in sunlight is horrible. I think your reviewer mixed these items up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a G watch as well as a 360 and my experience is the exact opposite. Battery life is fantastic at about 33 hours with ambient display on. Visibility in sunlight is horrible. I think your reviewer mixed these items up.

Thanks for your insight. Is the G worse than the 360 in sunlight?

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
No comparison. My 360's visibility in sunlight is pretty good. Battery life at about 22 hours is acceptable.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
No comparison. My 360's visibility in sunlight is pretty good. Battery life at about 22 hours is acceptable.

Thanks again. It sounds like we have similar experiences on battery with the 360 -- I can tip over 24 hours, but obviously, that's not practical in most cases, and it goes to the charger, when I do. I may bite the bullet on the G. The sunlight readability would have been a nice perk, but honestly, I'm inside way (way) more than outside.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy my G Watch, still comes in handy & has great battery life.
In sunlight I do have to crank up the brightness though its not a huge deal...

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I own a 360, and like it's round style. I can currently pick up an LG G watch refurb for $50 on ebay, and am tempted by such a low price. I read a review of the G watch on Engadget, and I was struck by a pro and con. The pro was "Easier to read in sunlight than competition", but the con was "Horrible battery life". "Horrible" is a pretty daunting word. The 360 battery life improved with firmware updates; is this also true of the G watch? Any 360 owners that can attest one way or the other if the G watch is easier to read in sunlight?

For those interested in the $50 deal: LG G Watch Black W100 Android Wear Smartwatch FRB | eBay

BE WARNED IF YOU BUY LG G WATCH!
I too had the 360 (bought it at first launch) and got the G watch cuz I got a good deal on it and didn't want to ruin my 360 at work. I found that battery life was awesome! I can go two days easily with the screen on all the time. you will love the fact that u can glance at the watch and see the time without shaking or twisting ur wrist like a maniac. I liked the battery life and always on screen so much that I sold my 360 and got a G watch R instead. you have been warned.

Posted via AC app on my X 14

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
BE WARNED IF YOU BUY LG G WATCH!
I too had the 360 (bought it at first launch) and got the G watch cuz I got a good deal on it and didn't want to ruin my 360 at work. I found that battery life was awesome! I can go two days easily with the screen on all the time. you will love the fact that u can glance at the watch and see the time without shaking or twisting ur wrist like a maniac. I liked the battery life and always on screen so much that I sold my 360 and got a G watch R instead. you have been warned.

Posted via AC app on my X 14
But I got your warning AFTER I already bought the G watch! What now!? <sigh> I guess, like you, I'll just have to wear it and actually be able to tell the time with a simple glance down at my wrist instead of the fun gymnastics sometimes required by my (still loved) 360.

Seriously, that is good news to hear. The watch deal is now sold out, but I did get one while there was still stock yesterday. I mean, honestly, I would have had to hear something extremely negative to pass up an Android smart watch for $50. I even ordered a cheap $10 black metal band from Amazon (which will arrive first). I really like my 360 with the Pebble Steel black band, and even though I got it because it was round, I'm thinking the cards might be a little easier to read in a square watch face. I'll find out.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a G watch and had a 360. I prefer to have the screen always on and the 360 can barely make it a full work day where the G can go a full day easily. I keep everything on as well. I use the G as my everyday watch and the 360 for other occasions. I think they are a great compliment to each other especially if you can get a deal on them.

With that being said, I sold the 360 and bought a watch R.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a G watch and had a 360. I prefer to have the screen always on and the 360 can barely make it a full work day where the G can go a full day easily. I keep everything on as well. I use the G as my everyday watch and the 360 for other occasions. I think they are a great compliment to each other especially if you can get a deal on them.

With that being said, I sold the 360 and bought a watch R.
Interesting. I'm certainly looking forward to having an always on, all day experience, and can use the 360 for other occasions. Has your battery experience with the LG-R been similar to the plain "G"? Does it have the same readability shortcomings as its sibling? I have to assume you prefer it over the 360, since you sold the latter for the former.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'm certainly looking forward to having an always on, all day experience, and can use the 360 for other occasions. Has your battery experience with the LG-R been similar to the plain "G"? Does it have the same readability shortcomings as its sibling? I have to assume you prefer it over the 360, since you sold the latter for the former.
I didn't notice the shortcomings with the display as I kept the brightness on 1 or 2 on both watches. Working in an office all day I don't need it too bright. I never thought to compare the screens but the R seems to be crisper, I'll compare them later when I put it on the charger.

The battery on the R is similar to the G and can go a full day plus especially if ambient mode is off.

I always preferred the way the R looked over the 360 but I got i a good deal on it so I couldn't resist. The one thing with the R is that the bezel makes it a little more difficult to swipe vs the bezel less 360.

I am looking forward to the 2nd Gen 360, I hope it's not overpriced like the Urbane.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Did you ever get your G Watch?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever get your G Watch?
Let us know how you like it.

Posted via the Android Central App
After wearing the LG for over a week, I have a good feel for it compared to the Moto 360. I still prefer the 360 from a purely esthetic perspective, but I don't there are too many dissenters on that point. The LG had 5.1.1 on it immediately upon receipt and upgrade check, so I was able to experience the 5.1.1 changes with LG before I forced it onto my 360 a couple of days ago; that was a nice, temporary, advantage. The LG seems more readable for me; I guess due to it's square form factor. Here, the 360 scores in appearance, but loses points on functionality. The LG is a beast for battery life. In my last 24 hour test (all day usage, and night stand storage off the charger, I had 13% remaining on the moto, and 33% remaining on the LG. The real kicker here is that the LG is always on. It goes into a low function mode (turning off animations, and reducing the color pallet to B&W), but a very readable face (unlike ambient), and on tilt, it goes into full mode will all animations and colors.

Neither are worth a spit in daylight, but I wasn't expecting that. If I want a color smart watch with multi-day battery and daylight readability, I'm going to have to jump to Pebble, but after the AC review of the new Pebble Time, I find myself lukewarm, and very much on the fence for that platform.

I wear the LG to work on non-tie days, and the moto when I dress up a little more.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
After wearing the LG for over a week, I have a good feel for it compared to the Moto 360. I still prefer the 360 from a purely esthetic perspective, but I don't there are too many dissenters on that point. The LG had 5.1.1 on it immediately upon receipt and upgrade check, so I was able to experience the 5.1.1 changes with LG before I forced it onto my 360 a couple of days ago; that was a nice, temporary, advantage. The LG seems more readable for me; I guess due to it's square form factor. Here, the 360 scores in appearance, but loses points on functionality. The LG is a beast for battery life. In my last 24 hour test (all day usage, and night stand storage off the charger, I had 13% remaining on the moto, and 33% remaining on the LG. The real kicker here is that the LG is always on. It goes into a low function mode (turning off animations, and reducing the color pallet to B&W), but a very readable face (unlike ambient), and on tilt, it goes into full mode will all animations and colors.

Neither are worth a spit in daylight, but I wasn't expecting that. If I want a color smart watch with multi-day battery and daylight readability, I'm going to have to jump to Pebble, but after the AC review of the new Pebble Time, I find myself lukewarm, and very much on the fence for that platform.

I wear the LG to work on non-tie days, and the moto when I dress up a little more.
Thanks for your feedback. I picked up my G Watch for $50 and for that price I think it's an excellent buy. I do not even wear my other real watches and switch between the G and GWR. The G is my daily workhorse.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback. I picked up my G Watch for $50 and for that price I think it's an excellent buy. I do not even wear my other real watches and switch between the G and GWR. The G is my daily workhorse.
Sounds like you and I are on the same page, with my G being my typical daily, and my 360 being my fashion statement, lol.