A new look at Android Wear

Pako St

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, for the past 3 months I've rocking a LG G Watch without much thought of it. I liked it and use daily mostly to remove notifications, switch to silent mode, music- you know the usual stuff for the gadget.
Thus far, there was no occasion when I would say the watch was a must or that it brings something really useful to table. That was until today with my little accident.
I dropped my Nexus 4 for the first time in 2 years and smashed the screen (photos when the sun comes up). The entire panel is in shards and the digitizer does not register anything. Usually I would just leave the phone as a paperweight until replacement screen comes or just buy a new one. Not this time- with the watch the phone is actually useful (go figure) instead of being the sorry reminder of my clumsiness. Using the phone as, well, a phone- making calls, listening to music or even for some apps- replying to messages is actually possible. When the replacement screen arrives I will have my fully functioning device but until then I will be able to use it just because of my whim to try out Android Wear.
I wouldn't say "Go buy a smartwatch", yet it can be invaluable and amazingly useful in those unpleasant circumstances. My answer to the question "Is the smartwatch really that good/useful?" from now is a definite yes!
Updated with damage photos
And here are the photos with the damaged screen. I've wrapped the display with kitchen foil so that the glass shard won't fall off.
20150914_115141.jpg
20150914_115210.jpg

Attachments

• 20150914_115231.jpg
    20150914_115231.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That reminds me of another post a while ago by someone who had accidentally locked himself out of his house. His phone was in the house, but he was still wearing his Moto 360, so he was able to send a text to a family member (using the watch), asking them to come home and unlock the door!

Pako St

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Those situations are always unpleasant (it would be horrible to be living alone abroad with no way of communication...) Gadgets like Android Wear smartwatches are almost impossible to be appreciated during the daily routine. One can live without switching the song from the wrist or checking the notifications quickly. But for those extraordinary moments when things go bad, they truly shine! Right now I'm between jobs with no backup phone. Buying temporary one will put more than a dent on my pocket with the tight budget. And for the time I replace the screen I am most likely to miss a job offer if I can't answer the calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez