Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Towel Root and help request

    Well, I jumped headfirst and installed towelroot, rooted my phone, and then installed :

    SuperSU, G2 Xposed, and Autorec

    I haven't run Auto rec, cause I'm not sure what it really even is for sure...haha

    I could use some help with the next steps. I am not sure I want to install custom Roms, mostly just mods and things to tweek the stock OS.

    I do know that I need to install recovery (is this what Autorec is? but then people say TWRP?) and back up my phone so that if I screw it up or it crashes or bricks I can "go back".

    Am I past that or what are my next steps? Thanks (coming here as opposed to XDA, as XDA is a bit confusing at times and some of those threads seem to assume you know all the lingo)
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    Well, I jumped headfirst and installed towelroot, rooted my phone, and then installed :

    SuperSU, G2 Xposed, and Autorec

    I haven't run Auto rec, cause I'm not sure what it really even is for sure...haha

    I could use some help with the next steps. I am not sure I want to install custom Roms, mostly just mods and things to tweek the stock OS.

    I do know that I need to install recovery (is this what Autorec is? but then people say TWRP?) and back up my phone so that if I screw it up or it crashes or bricks I can "go back".

    Am I past that or what are my next steps? Thanks (coming here as opposed to XDA, as XDA is a bit confusing at times and some of those threads seem to assume you know all the lingo)
    TWRP and CWM are two of the more popular recoveries. You will need one or the other to do most of what you said you would like to do. A backup (also called a Nandroid) is a good idea.

    Can you post the link to the method you used? Sometimes in rooting procedures, flashing a custom recovery is part of the rooting process.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    TWRP and CWM are two of the more popular recoveries. You will need one or the other to do most of what you said you would like to do. A backup (also called a Nandroid) is a good idea.

    Can you post the link to the method you used? Sometimes in rooting procedures, flashing a custom recovery is part of the rooting process.
    How to Root ANY Samsung Galaxy S5 Variant (Even AT&T & Verizon) in 20 Seconds Flat Samsung Galaxy S5

    I followed this guide, with the exception of Step 7.

    Do I have to sideload TWRP or is it in the Play store?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Also, what does Autorec do if it does not do what TWRP does? Guess I'm confused as to what these two things exactly are - how they are the same/different, their specific uses, and the order in which I would use them (the when...).

    Thanks again.
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    Also, what does Autorec do if it does not do what TWRP does? Guess I'm confused as to what these two things exactly are - how they are the same/different, their specific uses, and the order in which I would use them (the when...).

    Thanks again.
    Ok, sorry for any delay. I am too accustomed to PC rooting methods so I had to do a little research in this. It appears that Autorec is an app that installs a custom recovery for you. By the description I saw, in this link: AutoRec - KitKat Recovery Installer - xda-developers
    which is for the G2, you run the app and it installs TWRP, and allows you to reboot into recovery.

    Edit: I clicked post too soon. Here are a couple other guides to look over about custom recoveries:

    [Guide] [Info] Custom recoveries versus Stock. Is there a difference?

    [Guide] How to use your Custom Recovery

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Alright, so I'm probably just going to run the Autorec app once I back up my stuff.

    Would you recommend Titanium Backup? That's one I hear a lot about.
  7. #7  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    Alright, so I'm probably just going to run the Autorec app once I back up my stuff.

    Would you recommend Titanium Backup? That's one I hear a lot about.
    Titanium is a wonderful app, but it will not back up your OS, that is what custom recoveries are for. It backs up your app data and allows for freezing or deletion of apps that users can't remove. I would use this app carefully, and also if you choose to go with a custom ROM, this app may be unnecessary as many custom ROMs are debloated.

    With Google starting to store game data on many games, Titanium is almost becoming obsolete.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Titanium is a wonderful app, but it will not back up your OS, that is what custom recoveries are for. It backs up your app data and allows for freezing or deletion of apps that users can't remove. I would use this app carefully, and also if you choose to go with a custom ROM, this app may be unnecessary as many custom ROMs are debloated.

    With Google starting to store game data on many games, Titanium is almost becoming obsolete.
    Ah, okay. Maybe I'm confused. So I should just run Autorec now?

    Thanks for your help. I understand that recovery is used for when you flash roms, which I may not do, but I was just wanting to be extra careful as I want to install a lot of mods, and maybe have the option to put a rom on.

    I basically like the stock G2, just want some more control over it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    So, I ran AutoRec and got to TWRP and am installing the backup. So far so good...
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    So, I ran AutoRec and got to TWRP and am installing the backup. So far so good...
    Sorry, started work for the day. As long as you have made a backup of your stock ROM, you should be free to do whatever you like. I would keep the data on your device (I don't know if you can take an SD card).

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Thanks a bunch for the replies and help.
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the replies and help.
    No sweat. See you around the forums.

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. #13  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    This method roots the LG G2(D800)? Where does it say that?
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  14. #14  

    Default

    According to the website at will root anything with a kernel built before Jun 3/14....i just ran towelroot on my SamsungGalaxy S4 today and worked like a charm...have full root access(I had supers pre-installed so I could test if the binary would install... It failed... But showed as successful after a reboot) .... Was able to set selinux to permissive.... But I am unable to change my security level from high to normal (settings..more..security..) even after freezing KNOX with titanium backup..... Haven't got that figured out yet....
    Also... When in download mode it says Knox something 0x0 which I assume means it didn't trigger the Knox counter thing.... But says custom now... Not official (not that I care personally but some ppl do)... I am running stock recovery with stock ROM SGH-I337M i337mvlufne1 with sasktel ...Towelroot dot Com... I used version 2..
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Grunt;

    Towelroot and AutoRec roots the G2 and install TWRP 2.7 in about 30 seconds. Rooted mine today, so much easier than rooting the S3 was.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    Grunt;

    Towelroot and AutoRec roots the G2 and install TWRP 2.7 in about 30 seconds. Rooted mine today, so much easier than rooting the S3 was.
    So i can root this phone, and still use the stock OS? I'm still having fun with it as stock. Battery life is much better than the rooted SGSIII. I found Zooper weather widgets in the Play Store, and i'm busy customizing them to my liking.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    So i can root this phone, and still use the stock OS? I'm still having fun with it as stock. Battery life is much better than the rooted SGSIII. I found Zooper weather widgets in the Play Store, and i'm busy customizing them to my liking.
    yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

    No rush to flash roms. Tired of dealing with the issues most have
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

    No rush to flash roms. Tired of dealing with the issues most have
    O.K., thanks for the info. I'll do some more reading about Towelroot and Autorec.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  19. #19  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

    No rush to flash roms. Tired of dealing with the issues most have
    Got a question for you. How did you install Xposed Framework & Gravity Box on the phone? When i try xposed, first it says "for Samsung only", and then it tries to install, but fails or crashes. I've deleted it for now, until i get it right. SU does grant it permission, but nothing happens.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  20. #20  
    bigjj44's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    yep, that's what I did yesterday. Used towelroot and the autorec ti install TWRP. I'm still on stock, did install xposed framework and Gravity Box to do some tweaking. Using Zooper as well.

    No rush to flash roms. Tired of dealing with the issues most have
    Sorry for hitching onto yalls thread...but since i have used towelroot, i cant get into download mode on my GFlex. Can gwt into factory reset but zero luck with download. Volume up and plug in..no luck.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjj44 View Post
    Sorry for hitching onto yalls thread...but since i have used towelroot, i cant get into download mode on my GFlex. Can gwt into factory reset but zero luck with download. Volume up and plug in..no luck.
    Try this video, you will get to the Factory reset screen but then have to hit power 3 times

  22. #22  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Got a question for you. How did you install Xposed Framework & Gravity Box on the phone? When i try xposed, first it says "for Samsung only", and then it tries to install, but fails or crashes. I've deleted it for now, until i get it right. SU does grant it permission, but nothing happens.
    I used the apk from here:

    Xposed - General info, versions & changelog - xda-developers

    Had no issues. I do recall seeing the Samsung deal when installing Gravity Box but had no issues with it
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    I used the apk from here:

    Xposed - General info, versions & changelog - xda-developers

    Had no issues. I do recall seeing the Samsung deal when installing Gravity Box but had no issues with it
    Thanks, that worked. Checked out some roms at xda, but nothing so far. Going to talk to my guy at AT&T today, to find out if i have to keep the phone as "stock", if i swap it out in about a year, on this Next Plan. I believe that AutoRec can bring it back to stock, as long as i made a nandroid "stock" back-up, which i did. Thanks again for the help.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    Thanked by:
    rong21 
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    That's why I really like xposed because I just uncheck the mods I've applied and it's once again "stock"
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Towel Root and help request

    Just rooted my sph-L710 spring Samsung s3. I checked root with root checker and ran supersu. My device status is still official. Before I go any further, will loading Rom manager and running it install CWM for me? Pardon the obvious smell of noob in the thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rooted LgMs323
    By MillerTime80 in forum LG Optimus Series
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  2. List of volte and wideband lte markets
    By dpham00 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
  3. google now and browser
    By pelon0427 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 11:57 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM
  5. S3 firmware update problem !!! Help !!!
    By Vikash Srirangam in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions