Rooted LG G2 D801 (T-Mobile) with TowelRoot now Carbon ROM?

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've just been to the "brick" and back. New to rooting, and thought I screwed the pooch! But I was able to get back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I re-rooted using towelroot (wish I had that for the first time). And, like the first time, I can't reboot into recovery. How would anyone recommend I flash Carbon ROM from here?

Also, is there a list of "bloatware" that can be safely removed from the D801?

Thanks!

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've just been to the "brick" and back. New to rooting, and thought I screwed the pooch! But I was able to get back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I re-rooted using towelroot (wish I had that for the first time). And, like the first time, I can't reboot into recovery. How would anyone recommend I flash Carbon ROM from here?

Also, is there a list of "bloatware" that can be safely removed from the D801?

Thanks!

Download AutoRec to get you into recovery mode. You can find the link within these forums, or xda-developers. :p

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Download AutoRec to get you into recovery mode. You can find the link within these forums, or xda-developers. :p

I found it, thanks! In an effort not to duplicate my "bricking", might you be able to suggest the best way to flash Carbon ROM using AutoRec? I guess I could let you know what happened last time. First of all, I didn't keep good records of how I rooted my LG G2 D801 ... but it was the long drawn out process in order to rename the software update. When I finally got Carbon onto my phone, it seemed to be working fine until the screen went to sleep. When I went to wake it up, all I had was colored lines running vertically up and down my screen. The only way for me to turn off the phone was to do a hard reset. Then when I turned it back on, I was in a boot loop. Needless to say, I had to find a way to reset, and finally did.

Anyway, I put the AutoRec apk onto my phone, but haven't installed it yet. I also have the latest daily update for Carbon ROM in a zip file. I apologize for asking for a checklist ... but my current career has resorted me to this kind of operating!

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help up to this point!

"The Force is strong in this one ... "

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I found it, thanks! In an effort not to duplicate my "bricking", might you be able to suggest the best way to flash Carbon ROM using AutoRec? I guess I could let you know what happened last time. First of all, I didn't keep good records of how I rooted my LG G2 D801 ... but it was the long drawn out process in order to rename the software update. When I finally got Carbon onto my phone, it seemed to be working fine until the screen went to sleep. When I went to wake it up, all I had was colored lines running vertically up and down my screen. The only way for me to turn off the phone was to do a hard reset. Then when I turned it back on, I was in a boot loop. Needless to say, I had to find a way to reset, and finally did.

Anyway, I put the AutoRec apk onto my phone, but haven't installed it yet. I also have the latest daily update for Carbon ROM in a zip file. I apologize for asking for a checklist ... but my current career has resorted me to this kind of operating!

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help up to this point!

"The Force is strong in this one ... "

This is what i would do. Download carbon rom, and put it on your sd card, in "downloads". Open AutoRec, and tap on back-up, after back-up is complete, tap on install. This will take you to the carbon rom that you put on the sd card. Tap on install, and let AutoRec do it's thing. Re-boot after the installation is done, and you're good to go. I do suggest making a system, or nandroid back-up BEFORE you install any new roms. Good luck.:p

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site
This is what i would do. Download carbon rom, and put it on your sd card, in "downloads". Open AutoRec, and tap on back-up, after back-up is complete, tap on install. This will take you to the carbon rom that you put on the sd card. Tap on install, and let AutoRec do it's thing. Re-boot after the installation is done, and you're good to go. I do suggest making a system, or nandroid back-up BEFORE you install any new roms. Good luck.:p

Can AutoRec make the nandroid backup? Thanks again!

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Well here's how it went. I did a complete backup with AutoRec, and moved the file to my laptop. Then I installed the latest version of Carbon ROM. Everything seemed to go well. Rebooted, and the system loaded. But, like before, once the screen was put to sleep, when I went to turn it back on, I got psychedelic lines that made the screen unreadable. I did a couple of hard resets, and even one time the Carbon ROM start-up screen popped up, but I couldn't get out of it. So, I went to do a restore with my backup. It all came back, but the screen issue was still resident. Even when I attempted to do a factory reset, it would load up in recovery. I eventually was able to get back to the stock system. I am rooted once again, but it appears I am doing something wrong when it comes to flashing the ROM. Any ideas? I do know this, I'm going to get rid of a lot of apps!

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well here's how it went. I did a complete backup with AutoRec, and moved the file to my laptop. Then I installed the latest version of Carbon ROM. Everything seemed to go well. Rebooted, and the system loaded. But, like before, once the screen was put to sleep, when I went to turn it back on, I got psychedelic lines that made the screen unreadable. I did a couple of hard resets, and even one time the Carbon ROM start-up screen popped up, but I couldn't get out of it. So, I went to do a restore with my backup. It all came back, but the screen issue was still resident. Even when I attempted to do a factory reset, it would load up in recovery. I eventually was able to get back to the stock system. I am rooted once again, but it appears I am doing something wrong when it comes to flashing the ROM. Any ideas? I do know this, I'm going to get rid of a lot of apps!

There could be something wrong with the phone's digitizer. I've always been with AT&T, and i've NEVER had any of the problems that crop up in these forums. Stock, rooted, and any phone i've had, it's all been good. I'm stumped.:confused:

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site
There could be something wrong with the phone's digitizer. I've always been with AT&T, and i've NEVER had any of the problems that crop up in these forums. Stock, rooted, and any phone i've had, it's all been good. I'm stumped.:confused:

I go after price-point, and I guess that's what I get! It does sound like a problem in digital imaging ... because it sounds like the phone is working otherwise ... behind the TV test pattern on the screen! Thanks anyway!

Joey Esquivel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I flashed Carbon Rom a couple days ago, and it was working great till i randomly turned my phone off, turned it back on a minute later, and there was a vertical line on the far right side. I wiped it, reflashed, and the line was still there. I feel like it was the ROM that did it

Todd Miller5

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I flashed Carbon Rom a couple days ago, and it was working great till i randomly turned my phone off, turned it back on a minute later, and there was a vertical line on the far right side. I wiped it, reflashed, and the line was still there. I feel like it was the ROM that did it

Not to wish pain on others ... but I'm glad to see someone else is having the same issues.

I've been trying all these ROM apps, and am having no luck with them. It seems to me that the best way to do things is the long way with my laptop. Can anyone give me a path to a full-proof way to do a nandroid back-up?

I think I need to go back to the beginning, and do my homework. Start from scratch, do a proper nandroid backup. Do a root ... and flash a ROM. I start playing with ROM toolbox, and next thing I know, I'm in the beginning of a factory restart that keeps me rooted, but reloading everything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay