Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Total wipe-out

    Well, i think that i may have done it this time. Wanted to go from Optimus G3v1.1 to 1.2. Went into twrp recovery, but hit the "advanced" button when trying to do a full wipe. Phone is TOTALLY wiped. I can get into recovery and download modes, but can't put anything on the phone. If i can get any recovery on the phone, i can bring everything back through Google. If anyone has a solution, i could sure use it. This may be a trip to the AT&T store.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Have you pulled the micro SDHC and put a *.zip recovery file (your choice) on the root directory of it (using a regular computer) and then put it back in the phone and loaded with TWRP? latest version of TWRP ? Newest TWRP got me out of a soft brick.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by droidtrix11 View Post
    Have you pulled the micro SDHC and put a *.zip recovery file (your choice) on the root directory of it (using a regular computer) and then put it back in the phone and loaded with TWRP? latest version of TWRP ? Newest TWRP got me out of a soft brick.
    Didn't know that there was a micro sdhc card on the LG G2(D800). How do i access it? Thanks.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Sorry I didn't catch which subforum I was on. I tend to assume most new phones have an optional slot for an external (usually inside the back cover) micro sdhc card but I may be wrong about that model. I don't see it listed in the specs in a quick search so it may not have that option for one. That's just one reason every android phone I've owned has that option as it can be a real lifesaver in some situations.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    I doubt this thought will be much help either but do you know you can get a special cable that lets you read a USB flash drive directly when you attach it to the micro usb port or charge port on most android phones? It will show up as an external drive like a micro sdhc card would but I don't know if TWRP would see it. I'll check in a minute on my phone to see if it can see this setup.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    TWRP seems to see it but does not seem able to mount it. I'm no expert here but just tossing out some things I know. AFAIK without an external sdhc you might have to make that trip to AT&T.

    Dug a little deeper and it appears your phone does not have a micro sdhc card slot UNLESS it was the Korean version. The one made for Korea apparently has the slot. Strange move by LG to not include them in all versions imo.
  7. #7  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    TWRP has the ability to use adb sideload or USB OTG, I wipe completely and flash via the methods all the time, either should work for you. The USB OTG cables are cheap, under $5 shipped on Amazon or eBay.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    TWRP has the ability to use adb sideload or USB OTG, I wipe completely and flash via the methods all the time, either should work for you. The USB OTG cables are cheap, under $5 shipped on Amazon or eBay.
    Thanks for your help, and i appreciate it. Unfortunately, i don't know anything about terminal commands, so i took it to someone who does. I'll get the phone back on Thurday, minus some money. It's a learning experience. Now, i'll have to read up about terminal commands. Thanks, again.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  9. #9  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Thanks for your help, and i appreciate it. Unfortunately, i don't know anything about terminal commands, so i took it to someone who does. I'll get the phone back on Thurday, minus some money. It's a learning experience. Now, i'll have to read up about terminal commands. Thanks, again.
    I would highly recommend getting a USB OTG cable and a thumb drive, nothing new to learn at all, just change storage location from device to USB and away you go.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    acejavelin, Very cool - thanks as I missed that you could use TWRP that way with the USB OTG. Good to know!

    grunt0300, adb commands aren't that hard to use. I'm fairly new with them and not so well versed as to give advice so I'll leave it to acejavelin if he wants to give an example of how to use it for this case with TWRP.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    deleted - double post

    thanks again acejavelin. I think you answered my question above. I need to look at it and give it a try. cheers
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    acejavelin, I see the adb sideload command in TWRP but I don't seem to be able to 'mount' the USB OTG. It shows up in 'partitions to mount' but I can't X the check box for the USB-OTG. If I go to terminal commands I can't seem to see or mount it either. I know Linux well enough to mount it from a terminal if it was possible but can't seem to get there with TWRP. I also tried a couple different flash drives for this with the OTG cable. Any suggestions?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    I would highly recommend getting a USB OTG cable and a thumb drive, nothing new to learn at all, just change storage location from device to USB and away you go.
    So in my case, i would put a recovery zip on my desktop. Now, how do i get that zip into the phone?

    O.K. I think i got it. Download the recovery rom onto the flash drive. Unplug flash drive from computer, and plug into female end of OTG cable. Put phone into recovery mode, and plug male end of OTG cable into phone. I guess that it will automatically upload onto root of phone? I hope that's it.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  14. #14  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    So in my case, i would put a recovery zip on my desktop. Now, how do i get that zip into the phone?

    O.K. I think i got it. Download the recovery rom onto the flash drive. Unplug flash drive from computer, and plug into female end of OTG cable. Put phone into recovery mode, and plug male end of OTG cable into phone. I guess that it will automatically upload onto root of phone? I hope that's it.
    Close... You have TWRP installed already, correct? Also, the flash drive must be formated in FAT32 format, if it is under 32GB it should be that way out of the box, if it is larger, you might have to do a little trickery.

    From there boot the phone into recovery (hold POWER and VOL DN until LG logo is displayed, then release and press and hold again until TEAMWIN logo comes up, it might take several tried, the timing is tricky). Then once in TWRP, go to INSTALL and change the source at the top from the Ineernal Storage to USB-OTG, you should then be able to browse to the recovery zip and flash, or browse to a ROM image and flash it.

    If that fails, you may have to restore to stock first and start over... see this thread: [GUIDE]Newbie Guide for Root/Recovery/Stock … | AT&T LG G2 | XDA Forum for more information.

    EDIT: If the USB OTG is still not recognized, you can try adb sideload... install the drivers for the LG and ADB, start the phone and recovery, in TWRP go to Advanced and ADB SIDELOAD, then on your pc enter "adb sideload recovery.zip" or whatever ZIP you want to flash, it should go.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Close... You have TWRP installed already, correct? Also, the flash drive must be formated in FAT32 format, if it is under 32GB it should be that way out of the box, if it is larger, you might have to do a little trickery.

    From there boot the phone into recovery (hold POWER and VOL DN until LG logo is displayed, then release and press and hold again until TEAMWIN logo comes up, it might take several tried, the timing is tricky). Then once in TWRP, go to INSTALL and change the source at the top from the Ineernal Storage to USB-OTG, you should then be able to browse to the recovery zip and flash, or browse to a ROM image and flash it.

    If that fails, you may have to restore to stock first and start over... see this thread: [GUIDE]Newbie Guide for Root/Recovery/Stock … | AT&T LG G2 | XDA Forum for more information.

    EDIT: If the USB OTG is still not recognized, you can try adb sideload... install the drivers for the LG and ADB, start the phone and recovery, in TWRP go to Advanced and ADB SIDELOAD, then on your pc enter "adb sideload recovery.zip" or whatever ZIP you want to flash, it should go.
    Got it, thanks. I've used AutoRec before, so i'm good with it. Besides the usb-otg, i probably need a 4 or 8gb flash drive. Just big enough to get the zip into the phone. From there, i can do the rest. Thanks again for all your help.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  16. #16  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Got it, thanks. I've used AutoRec before, so i'm good with it. Besides the usb-otg, i probably need a 4 or 8gb flash drive. Just big enough to get the zip into the phone. From there, i can do the rest. Thanks again for all your help.
    16GB drives are cheap... I have one for each phone and backup to them regularly, plus I am just a flash-aholic and using this method is really easy to test ROMs.

    If you need anything just let me know, be glad to help if I can.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    I just found the answer to my own question about why I could NOT see the flash drive with the USB-OTG cable on the 3 different phones I tried it on. You need a USB-OTG Y cable so it can get power from an external source otherwise TWRP can't see it even if you see the flash drive when you are fully booted up on your phone in regular OS mode. Apparently TWRP does not load something (probably some driver) needed to power the micro USB port on your phone so it needs external power. Fortunately I had an old USB Y cable made just for the purpose of providing extra power if needed to an external USB drive. So I just added it to my straight through USB-OTG cable and powered it off my desktop USB port. Now TWRP can see the flash drive on the USB-OTG cable.

    I should add that's the way it works on my phones at least (all Samsung) but it's possible it may not be needed on some other phones. But I found this info in a Google search and I think most phones will need the Y type USB-OTG cable.

    BTW there is a tiny little APP called QuickBoot that let's you reboot your phone directly into recovery mode and other modes (both Vol Up and Down) when you are booted up normally you just run the App and it will reboot you to the special modes without having to hold down multiplple buttons on bootup.
  18. #18  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by droidtrix11 View Post
    I just found the answer to my own question about why I could NOT see the flash drive with the USB-OTG cable on the 3 different phones I tried it on. You need a USB-OTG Y cable so it can get power from an external source otherwise TWRP can't see it even if you see the flash drive when you are fully booted up on your phone in regular OS mode. Apparently TWRP does not load something (probably some driver) needed to power the micro USB port on your phone so it needs external power. Fortunately I had an old USB Y cable made just for the purpose of providing extra power if needed to an external USB drive. So I just added it to my straight through USB-OTG cable and powered it off my desktop USB port. Now TWRP can see the flash drive on the USB-OTG cable.
    Odd... must be something about the cable or or perhaps with the D800 variant, I am using this cable with no external power and Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB thumb drives and it works just fine on my Verizon LG G2 (vs980 variant). I do have to use a OTG-USB Y-cable on my Nexus 4 though.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Sounds like it varies depending on what phone you have. The Y style cable is only an extra dollar or two so might be good to go with that one if you don't know or do what I usually do - get both The straight through one I have is only about 4 inches so it's nice to carry with my phone in it's case to have use of the flash drive for extra storage. Thanks again for your help here acejavelin.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by droidtrix11 View Post
    Sounds like it varies depending on what phone you have. The Y style cable is only an extra dollar or two so might be good to go with that one if you don't know or do what I usually do - get both The straight through one I have is only about 4 inches so it's nice to carry with my phone in it's case to have use of the flash drive for extra storage. Thanks again for your help here acejavelin.
    It looks like i need a cable with a male plug(for the computer), a male plug(for the phone), and a female plug(for the flash drive). I saw them on Amazon for about $8.00. Cheap enough. A 32gb flash drive costs about the same.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    did you get it running?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    did you get it running?
    I called the shop, and he said it's not ready yet. I've since learned how to fix it myself. I need a USB-OTG-Y cable, and a flash drive. With those tools, i can put any rom into recovery, and then get it back to normal. This place has a five star rating for repairs, but i guess that he's backlogged with work. I'll have to wait, and that's something i'm not good at.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    I called the shop, and he said it's not ready yet. I've since learned how to fix it myself. I need a USB-OTG-Y cable, and a flash drive. With those tools, i can put any rom into recovery, and then get it back to normal. This place has a five star rating for repairs, but i guess that he's backlogged with work. I'll have to wait, and that's something i'm not good at.
    good to hear. Sorry your pain is our gain. Now I know what to do if I do this. I almost did a couple weeks ago
    Thanked by:
    mumfoau likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    1,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,088 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0.1(stock)

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    good to hear. Sorry your pain is our gain. Now I know what to do if I do this. I almost did a couple weeks ago
    When you're in TWRP recovery, do not, do not, tap on "advanced".
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    Thanked by:
    rong21 
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Total wipe-out

    Just ordered a USB OTG cable finally. Primarily because nandroids are huge and I've got 4 on my phone...
    grunt0300 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 06:50 PM
  2. How can I add pictures to Google Slides?
    By Google4Lifee in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
  3. Had to punch out of the Z1S
    By mookster in forum Sony Xperia Z1s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 06:58 AM
  4. Phone runs out of space way too quickly.
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 08:30 PM
  5. Check out this captivating game!
    By Shade007 in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions