Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2 L update

I read a article about how the LG G2 was getting a update next year, LG G2 to Receive LG G3 User Interface: Android L Update Next Year and I've heard some stuff about never accepting OTAs on a rooted phone and I've heard stories of phones being bricked due to accepting OTAs.

So when this update comes out what do I do?

Accept the update as normal?

Deny the update? (but what if I'm interested in the update and want it?)

Disable root and accept it? (but I've heard stories of TWRP related OTA issues)

This is my first rooted phone and I've got a year and a half left on the contract so if I brick it I'm way out of luck any help is greatly appreciated.

D-800 stock ROM
    Xposed framework
    TWRP 2.7.0

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: LG G2 L update

Don't accept the OTA with root (pretty sure it fails anyway). Flash the stock ROM for your device so that you get the stock recovery back and then accept the OTA if you really want it. Otherwise you can wait for updated ROMs

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Okay, thanks a ton!

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by ol chap View Post
    Okay, thanks a ton!

No problem

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I read a article about how the LG G2 was getting a update next year, LG G2 to Receive LG G3 User Interface: Android L Update Next Year and I've heard some stuff about never accepting OTAs on a rooted phone and I've heard stories of phones being bricked due to accepting OTAs.

So when this update comes out what do I do?

Accept the update as normal?

Deny the update? (but what if I'm interested in the update and want it?)

Disable root and accept it? (but I've heard stories of TWRP related OTA issues)

This is my first rooted phone and I've got a year and a half left on the contract so if I brick it I'm way out of luck any help is greatly appreciated.

D-800 stock ROM
    Xposed framework
    TWRP 2.7.0

Be very careful with TWRP, when wiping dalvik, etc. I totally wiped my D800, and had to get it replaced.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Agreed, I saw your topic about that and freaked out while trying to flash AOKP last night. I saw some videos saying wipe system but comments saying it bricked their phone and on the twrp website it says no advanced wipe is needed, so I went with twrps way and I had no ROM and bootlooped around the LG screen and the LG screen with security error underneath it overall a very interesting experience (especially being a root noob) just glad to have my G2 running again.

So just so I don't do that again do you know what exactly I'm supposed to wipe when flashing a ROM?

I think it's system, dalvik cache, and cache then flash the ROM, reboot into the ROM and then flash Gapps and then wipe cache and dalvik again.

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Agreed, I saw your topic about that and freaked out while trying to flash AOKP last night. I saw some videos saying wipe system but comments saying it bricked their phone and on the twrp website it says no advanced wipe is needed, so I went with twrps way and I had no ROM and bootlooped around the LG screen and the LG screen with security error underneath it overall a very interesting experience (especially being a root noob) just glad to have my G2 running again.

So just so I don't do that again do you know what exactly I'm supposed to wipe when flashing a ROM?

I think it's system, dalvik cache, and cache then flash the ROM, reboot into the ROM and then flash Gapps and then wipe cache and dalvik again.

Stay away from "advanced wipe", it's a killer. The way that you have it set up is correct.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Stay away from "advanced wipe", it's a killer. The way that you have it set up is correct.
    Thanks, although "system and data" is only available under advanced wipe :P well did it once and I still have my G2 so why would it be any different the second? (famous last words)

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thanks, although "system and data" is only available under advanced wipe :P well did it once and I still have my G2 so why would it be any different the second? (famous last words)

I have wiped both system and data in TWRP. I wouldn't even know how to delete the OS in TWRP. Just selecting cache, dalvik cache and data should be fine though.

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I have wiped both system and data in TWRP. I wouldn't even know how to delete the OS in TWRP. Just selecting cache, dalvik cache and data should be fine though.
    Well, i guess my wiping out the whole OS was just a lucky accident.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Maybe. Seems to happen pretty often here on AC, but I've never figured out how they managed to do that lol

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Maybe. Seems to happen pretty often here on AC, but I've never figured out how they managed to do that lol

Easy to do, when you're moving to fast, and you can't flipping wait to wipe, and get that new updated rom into your phone. That experience ruined my desire for rooting, and by the way, the "replacement" phone that i was given has been screwing up, big time. AT&T is sending me another one. I can't wait to see what the specs are for the Nexus6.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Although I'm a huge noob I'm thinking maybe you cleared internal by accident and that would clear the recovery and all kinds of stuff

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Although I'm a huge noob I'm thinking maybe you cleared internal by accident and that would clear the recovery and all kinds of stuff

That's what happened. Now, don't get me wrong, i like TWRP and they are great devs, but if there had been a warning pop-up telling me what would happen if i proceeded, we wouldn't be having this chat. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, though. There's an old expression...One bitten, twice shy. I'm very reluctant now to root my phone, and even if i did, i can't download a recovery(for back to stock), because i don't have a flipping P.C. I'm also not sure if a recovery would take off the word "rooted" from the download mode of the phone. I'm on the AT&T Next Plan, and they will not take back one of their phones, if they find that it has or had been rooted. This is where i'm at right now.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Indeed, I love how easy to use it is and how it's touch supported but some warnings or pop ups never hurt anyone as far as I know.

Isn't that the plan where you get a new phone every year? How is it?

Global Posts
    3,849 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Indeed, I love how easy to use it is and how it's touch supported but some warnings or pop ups never hurt anyone as far as I know.

Isn't that the plan where you get a new phone every year? How is it?

Just started it in May, but no complaints so far. I can trade in my phone after one year, and get a new model, or i can keep the phone for 18 months, and then it's mine to keep or sell. As i said earlier, when bringing in the phone for trade(after one year), it had better be "stock", or you'll have to keep it for another 6 months(until you own it) before you can get another phone.