Custom radios?

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Being my first rooted phone I've been flashing a ton of different ROMs (trying a new one each week) but some (such as Mahdi rom) need the "stock kitkat" radio. After doing some research I have some questions.

1. Can the stock radio be backed up? (I read it's not included in the nandroid back up)

2. Will a different radio still work with my data/carrier plan or will it break mobile data?

3. Can flashing a different radio do hardware damage? (I saw a post saying "try it but don't cry to me if you fry your radio :p")

I plan to read more about them because right now I've honestly got no clue to what they do or how they do it (asides that they have to do with wireless communication... I think)

Thanks for any help, the threads I've read haven't explained much asides it'll fix the rotation bug and is needed for some time ROMs

Posted via Android Central App EDIT:when i say radio I mean modem

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes you have to be very careful when flashing a radio. It is the easiest way to brick a device by flashing a radio that wasn't designed for you specific device/region and/or carrier.

As for backing up the stock radio, I know you usually have to do a system dump to pull the radio. The specifics can vary from device to device.

ol chap

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Wow, Thanks a ton for the information! Radios will be something I don't touch until my contract ends and I get a new phone, Then the G2 will become my experiment device but until then reading up on it can't hurt (I hope)

Once again thanks, pretty sure you just saved me, Was gonna mess with it tonight but for now I'll stick to custom ROMs

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, Thanks a ton for the information! Radios will be something I don't touch until my contract ends and I get a new phone, Then the G2 will become my experiment device but until then reading up on it can't hurt (I hope)

Once again thanks, pretty sure you just saved me, Was gonna mess with it tonight but for now I'll stick to custom ROMs

Posted via Android Central App
No problem. Don't get me wrong, you can safely flash a new radio to your device, I've done it plenty of times. Just make sure you obtain the correct radio for your device and matches your carrier.

TBH though I have found very little difference in trying out different official radios that are pulled and made available to flash. I believe it's more of a placebo effect than anything else.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes that sounds right. Some radios can be flashed via TWRP/CWM and others require you to flash them with your device booted into its bootloader using a computer and FASTBOOT.

Code:
fastboot flash radio radiofilename.img