Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sofryj
  • 1 Post By JJ Jones
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No bezels = broken screens

Just got my G2 and am loving it so far. But, was thinking, will the reduced bezels lead to more shattered screens when dropping? Less of a crumple zone so to speak.

I know it's hopefully too early for many drops for anyone so far, just fishing for thoughts.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: No bezels = broken screens

But normally the bezel has glass covering it so I don't see that there would make much difference. In other words, the front face of touch screen phones is all glass regardless of bezel sizes.
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Phonedog dropped there review unit landed face down and scratched the edge pretty good

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Phonedog dropped there review unit landed face down and scratched the edge pretty good

Saw that video.

I guess the easiest solution is not to drop it. LOL
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Or get a case. Heard these phones are slippery
    Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Saw that video.

I guess the easiest solution is not to drop it. LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    But normally the bezel has glass covering it so I don't see that there would make much difference. In other words, the front face of touch screen phones is all glass regardless of bezel sizes.
    What he said, the front on all touch screen phones is all glass so bezel sizes has nothing at all to do with protecting out from breaking.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So the fact that other phones' glass front is "reinforced" with more plastic/non-glass makes no difference? It would seem in the case of the G2 that a more force would be exerted on the glass because there is less other support.

I certainly hope I never have to worry about it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by justlaxin13 View Post
    So the fact that other phones' glass front is "reinforced" with more plastic/non-glass makes no difference? It would seem in the case of the G2 that a more force would be exerted on the glass because there is less other support.

I certainly hope I never have to worry about it haha.

My S3 broke when I dropped it...thankfully its just the bottom of the screen where the buttons are so does not really affect me. At the end of the day if you drop ANY new phone you run the risk of it breaking the screen

To be honest WE NEVER SAW the scratches. He may have ALSO trumped up the damage. PLUS he never disclosed the SURFACE of which the phone dropped on. Every phone gets scuffed but he DIDNT say the phone shattered or the middle of the phone was trashed.

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Or get a case. Heard these phones are slippery
    Yes, quite so from my little bit of playing with it.

I got my G2 1 week ago. It fell less than 18" on linoleum (not hard) and the screen cracked. Its completely unusable now and the new digitizer and screen are very hard to find.

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by kmarris View Post
    I got my G2 1 week ago. It fell less than 18" on linoleum (not hard) and the screen cracked. Its completely unusable now and the new digitizer and screen are very hard to find.
    Same here but from 36" and it hit a low end table about 12" above ground right on its face then several flips before hitting the floor.

But it was in an Incipio DualPro case. I didn't even have to look at it to know it was OK.

Welcome to the forum!
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus

LG G2 is a great phone but the glass extends nearly to the edge of the device and even a small drop resulted in mine cracking and disabling touch on the top 1/3 of the screen. In addition even though the lower screen did respond the phone responded randomly and often became schizophrenic ;-). I shipped back to LG since it's new and should be covered, I'll see how they support their products. IMO the drop was extremely small (14-16") and the phone hit the edge of a ceramic coffee mug to create the crack. I had to take the phone out of the case cause I was putting it in the car dock on the windshield where I can't keep it in the case.

So it's should be LG's fault that you dropped your phone?

The fact of the matter is that any fall from any height has the potential to be damaging to almost every phone. Just depends on the landing.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Truth is, this phone isn't particularly durable. It didn't fare very well in drop tests. But I'm happier with this phone than any other I've had up to this point.
    ffejjj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sofryj View Post
    Truth is, this phone isn't particularly durable. It didn't fare very well in drop tests. But I'm happier with this phone than any other I've had up to this point.
    You want durable, buy one of those mil-spec phones. You buy the G2 for performance.

ffejjj likes this.

Not really worried about it since I use a good case and have never dropped a smartphone on a hard surface.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    Not really worried about it since I use a good case and have never dropped a smartphone on a hard surface.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk
    I hope you found some wood to "knock on" (pun obviously intended) after paying that comment.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app