Initial impressions

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
This is probably the first thing I did after playing with the phone for about 10 mins. Most bloatware apps are disabled now which is like if they weren't even there.

I love this phone, I am coming from a GNex and it could immediately see the difference. I used it non-stop (watched videos, netflix, surfed the net, facebook, etc) for about 6/7 hours and battery life was at 10%. It's been on the wireless charger for a good 3/4 hours and it's barely at 85%, I'll try wired charging next time. I love the phone.

I hope there is a root method soon, but it's very worth it even unrooted.

There is root... Mine is att, but I think I read on xda same method has worked for Verizon version..

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have had mine for about 24 hours. I liked it so much I returned my HTC One. I just couldn't deal with the poor battery life and standby time on the One. The music sound is just as good on the G2 as the One. The speaker is not quite as loud but equal to the Droid Maxx. The display is not as bright as the One but excellent and better than the S4. It provides many of the useable features that the S4 has and not the gimmicks. Call quality is as good as the Droid Maxx and better than the S4, but slightly worse than the One. The wireless charging works perfectly with the Nokia and LG chargers. I have the Nokia DT-910 upright cradle and the Droid Maxx didn't work with that but the G2 works perfectly. I also purchased the LG window folio case that works similarly to the Samsung quick view cases for the S4. Battery life is excellent and almost equal to my Note 2. I can easily make it through an entire day with heavy usage. Signal strength is equal to my Droid Maxx and One and better than Samsung devices. The Bluetooth is pretty quirky as it took me several attempts to connect to many of my devices that would instantly connect with all of these other phones. Should be fixable in a software update. Contacts is robust but the Calendar is not as good as what Samsung delivers. I loaded Nova Launcher and everything works fine. Speakerphone is not top notch but better than the S4. Knock to turn on is awesome and I have not had any problems with it. The plastic case is a let down, even the LG folio case I purchased has the same glossy, slick back. I don't care if manufacturers use plastic but at least give us a matte, grippy back instead of the glossy, slick crap.

I am waiting on the custom car dock from Verizon. It doesn't appear to be powered but will auto start the car mode. I replaced LG's version with Car Home Ultra paired with Dragon Mobile Assistant for full hands-free operation while in the car. I actually like Verizon's buttons better than AT&T's. They appear to be metal and have a more tactile feedback. I will be testing the camera in the next few days. I will still be buying the Note 3 when it comes out but will keep this as a backup. Great phone if you want more features than the Droid Maxx with almost the same battery life and don't care for the Note series. Incipio will be releasing some nice matte feather cases in the coming weeks for those that don't like the folio case.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine for about 24 hours. I liked it so much I returned my HTC One. I just couldn't deal with the poor battery life and standby time on the One. The music sound is just as good on the G2 as the One. The speaker is not quite as loud but equal to the Droid Maxx. The display is not as bright as the One but excellent and better than the S4. It provides many of the useable features that the S4 has and not the gimmicks. Call quality is as good as the Droid Maxx and better than the S4, but slightly worse than the One. The wireless charging works perfectly with the Nokia and LG chargers. I have the Nokia DT-910 upright cradle and the Droid Maxx didn't work with that but the G2 works perfectly. I also purchased the LG window folio case that works similarly to the Samsung quick view cases for the S4. Battery life is excellent and almost equal to my Note 2. I can easily make it through an entire day with heavy usage. Signal strength is equal to my Droid Maxx and One and better than Samsung devices. The Bluetooth is pretty quirky as it took me several attempts to connect to many of my devices that would instantly connect with all of these other phones. Should be fixable in a software update. Contacts is robust but the Calendar is not as good as what Samsung delivers. I loaded Nova Launcher and everything works fine. Speakerphone is not top notch but better than the S4. Knock to turn on is awesome and I have not had any problems with it. The plastic case is a let down, even the LG folio case I purchased has the same glossy, slick back. I don't care if manufacturers use plastic but at least give us a matte, grippy back instead of the glossy, slick crap.

I am waiting on the custom car dock from Verizon. It doesn't appear to be powered but will auto start the car mode. I replaced LG's version with Car Home Ultra paired with Dragon Mobile Assistant for full hands-free operation while in the car. I actually like Verizon's buttons better than AT&T's. They appear to be metal and have a more tactile feedback. I will be testing the camera in the next few days. I will still be buying the Note 3 when it comes out but will keep this as a backup. Great phone if you want more features than the Droid Maxx with almost the same battery life and don't care for the Note series. Incipio will be releasing some nice matte feather cases in the coming weeks for those that don't like the folio case.

Nice comparison. Is the knock on and off working with Nova at all?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Techgeek, nice review and having had an S4, totally agree. How is the charging rate on the wireless LG base? I'm assuming it's not as quick as if you connect it directly to the G2 charger?

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Some questions for those who have a new LG G2 (preferably AT&T).

How is GPS functionality? How quick does it lock on? How well does it stay locked?

Thanks.

hezamakiah

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
A day later my qualms with the VZW G2 are: auto-brightness is garbage and the toggle in quick settings doesn't work at all either (wait, it apparently wants to work now), the camera is magnificent up close, but give some distance and my HTC Thunderbolt looks better. Certain apps don't work well for some reason. I waited for this phone, but I should've waited longer I think.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
What is the default keyboard on that phone. I liked it when I played with the demo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to update my review of the phone. I am actually quite happy with the call quality now. Maybe my first 2 calls were bad. I've been on the phone a lot today (including 2 conference calls) and I can say that the phone is much better than my previous GNex.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
What is the default keyboard on that phone. I liked it when I played with the demo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

In guessing it is just a LG keyboard. I have used last night and all day today and had no problems with it. But I just now switched back to SwiftKey because I have been using it so long and it reads my mind LOL.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll be brief: I FEAKIN' LOVE THIS PHONE! :D

I'm coming from an iPhone 4s - which I despised - and Blackberry before that, so there's a bit of a learning curve with Android, but I'm finding it pretty intuitive for the most part, and I'm finding that the phone itself is amazingly customizable, and I know I've only scratched the surface. There are a couple of very minor quirks, but I'm sure I'll get used to them (like Gmail being completely separate from other email). LOVE Knock On. Actually like the rear buttons/keys. Best of all, in a day of pretty heavy use (for me) I got solid 11 hours before I got below 20% battery; my iPhone couldn't get me through a regular - low use - work day. Oh, and the combination of Quiet Mode and Day Dream gave me something the iPhone never could: a "do not disturb" feature at night that also lets me have a clock on the lock screen that I can actually see without my glasses on the night - plus it automatically dims so it doesn't light up the whole bedroom! Sometimes it's the little things. ;)

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There are a couple of very minor quirks, but I'm sure I'll get used to them (like Gmail being completely separate from other email).

Just picked up mine from AT&T yesterday afternoon. I have my Gmail set up in the native email app along with my POP account from my ISP and an EAS Exchange account through my work. All in one place, not using the Gmail app. Works fine and you can see all your emails in a combined inbox or individually by account if you choose to. And yes, loving the Knock On feature too! This is a fantastic phone!

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up mine from AT&T yesterday afternoon. I have my Gmail set up in the native email app along with my POP account from my ISP and an EAS Exchange account through my work. All in one place, not using the Gmail app. Works fine and you can see all your emails in a combined inbox or individually by account if you choose to.

Yeah, I was thinking about going back and setting it up that way, too. But, I used Gmail for my contacts and google calendar as my primary and, after the hoops I had to jump through to get these to work smoothly on my old BB and then my iPhone, it was sort of nice to have it all work so smoothly and automatically, so I've just let it be for now.

And yes, loving the Knock On feature too! This is a fantastic phone!

I know, right?