Initial impressions

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Picked up my G2 on AT&T this morning. So far, mind blown. This really is an amazing phone and may be the sleeper hit of the year.

I haven't even unpacked the charger yet, and over the last 11 hours of use out of the box I'm at 50% battery with 3 hours of screen on time with auto brightness set.

So far, I'm beyond impressed.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my G2 on AT&T this morning. So far, mind blown. This really is an amazing phone and may be the sleeper hit of the year.

I haven't even unpacked the charger yet, and over the last 11 hours of use out of the box I'm at 50% battery with 3 hours of screen on time with auto brightness set.

So far, I'm beyond impressed.

I'm thinking of making the jump to this device when it hits Sprint. I'm especially impressed to see such good battery life out of the box.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of making the jump to this device when it hits Sprint. I'm especially impressed to see such good battery life out of the box.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

I forgot to note that I was at the mall all day after hitting the AT&T store, so I was on LTE the majority of that time. I've only been on WiFi the past couple of hours.

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my g2 yesterday, and coming from the gnex, this is quite an experience.

1. First thing I noticed, DAT SCREEN. This display is truly awesome. I was hesitant coming from my gnex that this ips panel would look washed or not vivid enough as the gnex amoled is so saturated. Well I can happily report that this screen is vivid, colors pop, and the black levels are pretty close (close enough for me) to the amoled screens. It gets very very bright, and importantly to me, DIM! I hated reading my Kindle app in bed with my gnex even with the black screen and white text being too bright. Finally, the damn screen covers most of the phone and it makes the phone very attractive. My wife who has been an unwavering iPhone user since the 3gs actually said she was jealous of the g2's aesthetics.

2. Second thing I have noticed, DAT PROCESSOR. This thing hasn't stuttered or lagged once since I've been using it (which isn't very long). Very satisfied with the speed.

3. Battery. Am still really figuring out what this will be like. I'm an "ultra user". I do emails, calls, ordering parts, snapping pics and texts all day. My gnex would be dead @ 12pm after taking it off the charger @ 6 am. I've been off charger since 7am and battery is @ 79% and it now 9:20am. Jury is still out, but I think this battery is better so far. I bet I could get much more time if I could limit my screen on time...

4. Camera. Hmm this one I'm a little bit confused about. I cannot get this thing to take a clear shot if there is ANY movement whatsoever. I took a stunning clear shot of a shoe (weird I know) but it was up close and perfectly still. Kids don't stay still. I still have to experiment, and we should all help each other in this regard. (I'll post my shoe shot later)

5. Call quality. I have only made one phone call and I have to say I was impressed and disappointed. Weird right? The actual caller sounded better than the gnex, but as I was driving home I kept noticing this "digital screeching" sound. The phone call was a one hour call, and it didn't do it constantly but if it was a business call it would annoy me to the point of being distracted. Am going to try making a call at home while stationary to see if this affects anything.

6. Bonuses. Knock on. Holy crap. Best feature ever. Seriously awesome I barely use the back buttons. I've heard of people having issues with it, but mine works every time. Wife thought this was a huge plus and so do I. Higher output to my headphones/fm transmitter. This thing cranks the line volume out in spades baby. I love that.

7. Issues. That camera issue I spoke about, but have a feeling that's more on me and not the phone. The call issue is annoying but I can't really call it yet due to the small sample size of call time. A weird brightness change when scrolling through websites. It's been spoken of on the forums and I definitely notice it on my unit at lower brightness settings. Auto brightness is off, but the issue persists. It does not bother me much at all.

8. UI. Coming from stock, I am bummed at the bloat ware, and have this sinking feeling that this crap is draining my battery prematurely. Otherwise it's just fine and as I get to know it more the experience will improve as it is pretty good already.

9. Conclusion. I am in love. Even if I can't tidy up the call quality and camera issues I'm still keeping it. It's that nice. I am optimistic about correcting them, and am enjoying this device very much so far. I haven't gone into any apps functionality yet so my apologies for not going into the software.

Thanks for taking the time to read my initial impressions!

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Got my g2 yesterday, and coming from the gnex, this is quite an experience.

1. First thing I noticed, DAT SCREEN. This display is truly awesome. I was hesitant coming from my gnex that this ips panel would look washed or not vivid enough as the gnex amoled is so saturated. Well I can happily report that this screen is vivid, colors pop, and the black levels are pretty close (close enough for me) to the amoled screens. It gets very very bright, and importantly to me, DIM! I hated reading my Kindle app in bed with my gnex even with the black screen and white text being too bright. Finally, the damn screen covers most of the phone and it makes the phone very attractive. My wife who has been an unwavering iPhone user since the 3gs actually said she was jealous of the g2's aesthetics.

2. Second thing I have noticed, DAT PROCESSOR. This thing hasn't stuttered or lagged once since I've been using it (which isn't very long). Very satisfied with the speed.

3. Battery. Am still really figuring out what this will be like. I'm an "ultra user". I do emails, calls, ordering parts, snapping pics and texts all day. My gnex would be dead @ 12pm after taking it off the charger @ 6 am. I've been off charger since 7am and battery is @ 79% and it now 9:20am. Jury is still out, but I think this battery is better so far. I bet I could get much more time if I could limit my screen on time...

4. Camera. Hmm this one I'm a little bit confused about. I cannot get this thing to take a clear shot if there is ANY movement whatsoever. I took a stunning clear shot of a shoe (weird I know) but it was up close and perfectly still. Kids don't stay still. I still have to experiment, and we should all help each other in this regard. (I'll post my shoe shot later)

5. Call quality. I have only made one phone call and I have to say I was impressed and disappointed. Weird right? The actual caller sounded better than the gnex, but as I was driving home I kept noticing this "digital screeching" sound. The phone call was a one hour call, and it didn't do it constantly but if it was a business call it would annoy me to the point of being distracted. Am going to try making a call at home while stationary to see if this affects anything.

6. Bonuses. Knock on. Holy crap. Best feature ever. Seriously awesome I barely use the back buttons. I've heard of people having issues with it, but mine works every time. Wife thought this was a huge plus and so do I. Higher output to my headphones/fm transmitter. This thing cranks the line volume out in spades baby. I love that.

7. Issues. That camera issue I spoke about, but have a feeling that's more on me and not the phone. The call issue is annoying but I can't really call it yet due to the small sample size of call time. A weird brightness change when scrolling through websites. It's been spoken of on the forums and I definitely notice it on my unit at lower brightness settings. Auto brightness is off, but the issue persists. It does not bother me much at all.

8. UI. Coming from stock, I am bummed at the bloat ware, and have this sinking feeling that this crap is draining my battery prematurely. Otherwise it's just fine and as I get to know it more the experience will improve as it is pretty good already.

9. Conclusion. I am in love. Even if I can't tidy up the call quality and camera issues I'm still keeping it. It's that nice. I am optimistic about correcting them, and am enjoying this device very much so far. I haven't gone into any apps functionality yet so my apologies for not going into the software.

Thanks for taking the time to read my initial impressions!

So now that its after noon, how's the battery doing? The battery is the one thing that makes me consider trading it in for the Droid Maxx.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm here.. Thought I heard someone say shoes!?! Those are too cute too... Sorry girls gotta love the shoes...

Very nice picture your G2 took BTW!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Techgeek, nice review and having had an S4, totally agree. How is the charging rate on the wireless LG base? I'm assuming it's not as quick as if you connect it directly to the G2 charger?

None of the wireless chargers are as fast as a direct connection but the LG chargers are faster than the Nokia versions. I never have to charge until I go to bed so it is fast enough to provide a full charge by morning. I did find that the new TYLT wireless chargers have a higher amperage and should wirelessly charge as fast as a cable. They are more expensive but worth it to me. I just ordered 2 from Verizon and will provide feedback after I can test them out. All of my wireless chargers work with the LG case attached as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Techgeek, nice review and having had an S4, totally agree. How is the charging rate on the wireless LG base? I'm assuming it's not as quick as if you connect it directly to the G2 charger?

None of the wireless chargers are as fast as a direct connection but the LG chargers are faster than the Nokia versions. I never have to charge until I go to bed so it is fast enough to provide a full charge by morning. I did find that the new TYLT wireless chargers have a higher amperage and should wirelessly charge as fast as a cable. They are more expensive but worth it to me. I just ordered 2 from Verizon and will provide feedback after I can test them out. All of my wireless chargers work with the LG case attached as well.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
So now that its after noon, how's the battery doing? The battery is the one thing that makes me consider trading it in for the Droid Maxx.

The LG has a 3000mAH battery and the Maxx is a 3500mAH battery. The LG is a 1080p display compared to the Maxx 720p. Faster processor as well. The Maxx should last longer. I find that the G2 lasts just as long as my Note 2 that has a 3100mAH battery. I tried the Maxx as well. It lasted about 35 minutes longer with the same use. Not an issue because the G2 lasts me a full day and I always charge at night anyway. I would rather pay $100 less and get the better display, camera and faster processor over the Maxx.