Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Nova launcher

Has anyone tired nova launcher and how does it look on the g2? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nova launcher

From what I've read on here it makes the knock-on not work. I do definitely miss some of its features.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Since Nova is pretty popular, they may find some way to make it work.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Home screen transitions lag as well.... I'm a longtime user of nova, but the stock launcher is so good, I'm not missing nova at all!
    jaime1822 likes this.

Haven't noticed any lag with nova. Double tap the notification menu to turn the screen off.

Folks over at XDA report that Nova Launcher works with knock-knock and you can even put it to sleep by knocking near the top of the notification bar. Perhaps it was updated very recently?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Anyone have pictures?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I definitely miss all of the gestures I had set up with Nova as well as the scrolling dock.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

No lag in nova for me at all, in fact this thing flies with nova.

Just wish I knew what activity was used for knock knock so we could set a double tap to turn the screen off.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
    No lag in nova for me at all, in fact this thing flies with nova.

Just wish I knew what activity was used for knock knock so we could set a double tap to turn the screen off.

Well, in the meantime, you can download an app from the market that turns screen off and assign it to the double tap gesture.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

I've been a big Nova proponent for years. I was running it on my GNex running various Cyanogen Mod Roms for almost 2 years.
    The LG UI is quite good. I really like it. Not having another app loaded in memory is also a plus. So I am sticking with the LG UI.
    marky_yo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    Folks over at XDA report that Nova Launcher works with knock-knock and you can even put it to sleep by knocking near the top of the notification bar. Perhaps it was updated very recently?
    As I understand it, the double knock feature will turn off the screen only when you tap on an unused portion of the screen or on the notification bar. Because Nova take over all the real estate of the phone (except the notification bar), the G2 thinks any part of the screen is occupied, even if there's no icon in a particular spot when running Nova. So, the only way to double-knock the phone to sleep is to do it on the notification screen. That works just fine for me. I'm not seeing any lag either. So far, so good....
    Thanked by 2:
    GPilot650 and brewkelyn like this.

I spent about a day with the LG UI before installing Nova. While this was the first time I was actually considering sticking with a stock UI, there were some features of Nova that are must-have for me. I love being able to swipe down anywhere on the home screen to bring down the notification window, and with the large screen real estate, it prevents me from straining my thumb to reach the top of the screen. I tried putting the window drop-down button in the navigation bar, but I usually drive with my left hand, and reaching across the screen to hit that button was just about as strenuous as reaching the top of the screen. Also, being able to launch a second app from the bottom bar by swiping up on the primary app icon was very useful to me. Finally, the knock-off feature still works in the notification window, and quite well I might add. I never have any free space on my home screens anyways, so being able to knock-off from any open space would not be useful to me.
    -Until Skynet takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by WilburNJ View Post
    As I understand it, the double knock feature will turn off the screen only when you tap on an unused portion of the screen or on the notification bar. Because Nova take over all the real estate of the phone (except the notification bar), the G2 thinks any part of the screen is occupied, even if there's no icon in a particular spot when running Nova. So, the only way to double-knock the phone to sleep is to do it on the notification screen. That works just fine for me. I'm not seeing any lag either. So far, so good....
    Will double tapping the area at the verizon logo work? That area seemed to recognize taps when I tried it in the store, but maybe it was just a residual effect.
    Last edited by xgman; 09-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.

I downloaded Screen Off and placed it in the Dock tray. Great solution.
    modern likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So the knock on works but some people are having trouble with the knock off?

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by papachange05 View Post
    I spent about a day with the LG UI before installing Nova. While this was the first time I was actually considering sticking with a stock UI, there were some features of Nova that are must-have for me. I love being able to swipe down anywhere on the home screen to bring down the notification window, and with the large screen real estate, it prevents me from straining my thumb to reach the top of the screen. I tried putting the window drop-down button in the navigation bar, but I usually drive with my left hand, and reaching across the screen to hit that button was just about as strenuous as reaching the top of the screen. Also, being able to launch a second app from the bottom bar by swiping up on the primary app icon was very useful to me. Finally, the knock-off feature still works in the notification window, and quite well I might add. I never have any free space on my home screens anyways, so being able to knock-off from any open space would not be useful to me.
    I definitely miss all of the gestures I had assigned with Nova. I miss the scrolling dock as well. I got around the dock issue by just moving everything up onto another screen, but I'd still like to have it. I think knockon is one of the most useful features on the phone, especially with the buttons being on the back and the fact that I can never feel them back there.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Even if it did make Knock-knock not work is knock-knock that important to you. My Sony tablet allows me to wake it up by double-tapping on the screen. I wouldn't give up Nova Prime for that feature. ...but I don't understand everything that knock-knock is supposed to do...would you explain it a little? Yes, I know I can google it but most don't mind explaining their gadgets.

EDIT: I googled it. Its basically the same feature I have but expanded and more important because of the button placement. Hmmm...So a different launcher breaks this functionality? That rather sux.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 09-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Even if it did make Knock-knock not work is knock-knock that important to you. My Sony tablet allows me to wake it up by double-tapping on the screen. I wouldn't give up Nova Prime for that feature. ...but I don't understand everything that knock-knock is supposed to do...would you explain it a little? Yes, I know I can google it but most don't mind explaining their gadgets.

EDIT: I googled it. Its basically the same feature I have but expanded and more important because of the button placement. Hmmm...So a different launcher breaks this functionality? That rather sux.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Although you already figured it out a bit, knock on is huge with the G2 because of the placement of the buttons. Have it I haven't had to touch the buttons on the back of the phone and they are hard enough to find as it is anyway.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

I absolutely love the tap tap feature, but does anyone have trouble sometimes to where you have to tap multiple times to get it to work? I can't find a particular thing I'm doing when it doesn't work. I would love to know how it's working for everyone else.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I wouldn't be surprised if nova updates there app so it works. I am still not understanding if you can or can't on this device with nova. It seems like some people can turn it off and on and some only on but not off.

Quote Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
    I absolutely love the tap tap feature, but does anyone have trouble sometimes to where you have to tap multiple times to get it to work? I can't find a particular thing I'm doing when it doesn't work. I would love to know how it's working for everyone else.

yes I found it a bit fussy with the taps.

Here is what the developer told me:

"I have not had a chance to test directly against a G2 yet.
    It sounds like you can still double tap on the notification bar to sleep or set novas double two gesture to launch the (free on Play Store) Screen off and Lock app."

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Nova works great with knock knock as long as you knock on the notification bar and not on the screen. Double knock the center to wake it up works great and it works every time. Turning it off via knock is more difficult since you have to be very precise with the location, but it's not too bad.

I used it with Nova for almost a week and this morning I reverted to the LG UI, just to see if the knock is easier with the OEM launcher. Well... it is MUCH easier, but like others said, not sure that is a good enough reason to ditch Nova.
    Nova is great and unless I am using the One, the first thing I always do is replace the launcher with Nova and the stock keyboard with SwiftKey.

What I did like about the LG UI is that you can put more than 4 apps in the dock, just like you can with Nova. That alone made the transition to stock UI much easier.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

one solution is to use the lock screen widget. I placed the widget on the home screen and use it turn off. turing on as mentioned you can double tap...I use the lock screen widget on the widget locker so just tap to unlock instead of swiping ... maybe some helpful info....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast