Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen scratching issue?

Is any one having any problems with the screen scratching? I went by my local att store today and the screen had 9 BIG scratches on the front already and it had only been on display for 3 hours and physically in the store for 24 hours.

I saw a review at another site where the reviewer had dropped it on the first day 6 inches and had already scuffed his screen up also. Isn't this Gorilla glasses 2?

So has anyone had any issues with this? It would be a shame if such a great phone had such a basic fundamental issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Screen scratching issue?

I'm not trying to state the obvious. ...but if you use a $3 screen protector wouldn't that mute the issue. Does the G2 come with Gorilla Glass 3? Even if so, a $3 screen protector, or Zagg Invisible Shield may not be a bad investment. Screens are not scratch proof, no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

moosc likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Agreed. However I prefer the feel of actual glass. I'm not reckless, my phone is 2 1/2 years old and has not a scratch on it. My concern was if this was going on already or if that AT&T store liked running their phones through sand blasters lol.

I haven't heard of any issues yet but obviously it would have some bearing on if I purchased this phone.

Either way I am stuck waiting on sprint's slow butts. At LEAST another month before I can get my hands on one. Sigh

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

This is a premium device. In my opinion, all premium phones should have some sort of scratch resistance built in to the displays. If this phone does not have Gorilla Glass 3 it should have something else just as effective. If not, why not? That would make me question the build quality of the phone in a major way. However, Spigen will likely make one of thier glass screen protectors for the G2 as well. The Glas.T and Glas.Tr I believe they're called...that too.

Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    rbiowa 

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if people checking out the device on display tried to see how durable the screen is...its a rough life being a demo unit. The G2 has Gorilla Glass 2 btw.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by whtchdr View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if people checking out the device on display tried to see how durable the screen is...its a rough life being a demo unit. The G2 has Gorilla Glass 2 btw.

I wonder why it has GG2 and not GG3. Has it been in development for THAT long? Whoa.

Live long and prosper.

Supposed to be GG3.....

philly likes this.

Its been advertised to have gorilla glass 3.. where are you getting this info about gg2?
    Last edited by philly; 09-13-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by whtchdr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    Its been advertised to have gorilla glass 3.. where are you getting this info about gg2?

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps Whtchdr can answer that.

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Perhaps Whtchdr can answer that.

I just found info on cornings site that the LG G2 does indeed use gorilla glass 2. this is horse****. during the reveal almost every news outlet noted it used gorilla glass 3.. I highly doubt they just made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremeyouth1 View Post
    Is any one having any problems with the screen scratching? I went by my local att store today and the screen had 9 BIG scratches on the front already and it had only been on display for 3 hours and physically in the store for 24 hours.

I saw a review at another site where the reviewer had dropped it on the first day 6 inches and had already scuffed his screen up also. Isn't this Gorilla glasses 2?

So has anyone had any issues with this? It would be a shame if such a great phone had such a basic fundamental issue.

Sounds like a pretty obvious case of vandalism. A phone on display doesn't all of a sudden get 9 big scratches. Some jerk came in there with the intention of gouging the glass. I'm sure nothing would have survived a jerk like that.

from a guy on google plus

Just to clear up some speculation in regards to Gorilla Glass 3 vs. 2 using science and official specification documentation.

The difference in brittleness (correlated by Young's Modulus) between Gorilla Glass 2 and 3 is 71.5 and 69.3 GPa respectively. This is a 3% difference, and barely any difference. Just as a comparison: glass is usually around 50-90 GPa, mother of pearl is on average 70 GPa. (lower=more elastic, higher=more brittle)

The axial stress (aka Poisson's Ratio) is almost exactly the same, 0.21 to 0.22, which can easily be down to systematic and rounding errors.

The fracture toughness (how hard it is for a crack to elongate/propogate) actually decreased from 0.68 to 0.66 MPa m^0.5, so if you have a crack in your screen, it will spread 3% easier.

And finally, the hardness of the glass did not change. It is just as easy to scratch a Gorilla Glass 2 panel as it is to scratch a Gorilla Glass 3 panel.

tl;dr - There are very little differences between Gorilla Glass 2 and 3. It should not be a deciding factor when you are deciding which phone to buy.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

There is no way the glass scratched from casual use. That's vandalism what was done to the phone.

Gorilla glass 2 and 3 are almost identical. Why users on here are panicking over that, is quite comical. Nobody complained about gorilla glass 1 nor did they ever about gorilla glass 2. I'm not sure why people atomically assume the previous edition must be crap. There is probably a very sound reason as to why LG chose it. This is a very thin phone and given how close the scree is to the edge, that extra thickness in the glass is a good thing. Also, considering gorilla glass 3 is more fragile, this would make for a worse issue for this phone if it does suffer damage. Of course Corning is going to pitch gorilla glass 3 as being much more scratch resistant, their a business, they want to give manufactures a reason as to why they should use their new and more expensive glass. If you looked at the real data though, you'd see very little has changed.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Perhaps Corning is lying on their website but they clearly say GG3 is tougher than GG2 @

Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 with
    Native Damage Resistance™

Corning is continually looking for ways to improve Gorilla Glass and achieve new levels of tough. Gorilla® Glass 3 is not only chemically strengthened — its atomic configuration is formulated so that the glass is more durable. Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 with Native Damage Resistance™ (NDR) is fundamentally tougher and more damage resistant even before chemical strengthening.

How tough? Gorilla® Glass 3 with NDR enables improved damage resistance and toughness compared to former glass compositions and is up to three times more damage resistant than Gorilla Glass 2. This type of Native Damage Resistance is a unique feature of Gorilla® Glass 3. Something Corning is able to provide due to a proprietary glass composition that is better able to resist the deep scratches that cause glass to break.
    Live long and prosper.

philly likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Not panicking. Just curious so I can pick the best phone for me. Still looks like the G2

philly likes this.

I just wanted to say that I picked up the G2 from Rogers here in Canada I was also using the LG case smart window whatever it's called and in less than 24 hours I had a large noticeable scuff in the middle of the screen

I returned the phone the next day and stuck with the S4

Very happy now but the LG sure is a great phone

I don't know how everyone is getting scratches. I'm horrible with getting random scratches on phones and I was able to go from release day to yesterday without a scratch. Yesterday I put on a glass screen protector and this morning I already noticed a small nick on the screen protector.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
    Banned

What the **** do you people do with your phone? I have had my phone for about 7mo. No scuffs no scratches no drops nothing. If its not in my hand its in my pocket. If its not in my pocket then its laying next to me. Also no screen protector. I have my left pocket dedicated to phone ONLY. Yall need to step your phone game up. SERIOUSLY. I don't give a **** if the phone has gg1 2 3 or plexiglass. Its a $600 phone so I treat it as such.

Thanked by:
    Ken7 
    lucverhoeven likes this.

I don't get it either. My G2 sits in my pocket or on my table and is totally scratch free. I handle it carefully as I do all my phones and have yet to scratch any glass.

Now if you want to talk about the backs of the GS3 or GS4, those will scratch if you look at them the wrong way.

I have had the G2 (Verizon) since the end of September 2013. After a week or two, I noticed the back getting scuffs from placing in my messenger bag and setting it down on my desk. So I got the body guardz skin protection. I didn't apply the screen protection b/c I don't like using them. They take away from the clarity of the screen. However, then I noticed that there were also scuff marks on the screen when I went to clean it. They wouldn't wipe away. That pissed me off. I baby my phone. I never use cases and I have not dropped it once. So recently I put on the screen protector to keep it from getting scuffs and scratches. I have had Samsung, Apple, and Motorola smart phones and never had a screen protector on any of them. I treat my G2 the same as all of my other phones. However, this G2 easily scuffed on the back and the front. This is a deal breaker. Plus, the G2 has other shortcomings that are really annoying. Therefore, I'm looking to replace my G2 asap.
    The screen is great initially out of the box. But in real world usage, it scuffs/scratches easily, which will mean you'll need a screen protector, and that takes away from the screen being so gorgeous.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I had the LG G2 for a week and didn't have any scratches at all, and mind you I'm not the most gentle user.
    But still, I went to a store and bought a screen protector for 5$ including having the store person paste the screen protector, and voila! I don't even notice the creen protector, the screen touch feels just the same, only I have one extra layer of protection... very small investment, wouldn't hurt you!
    You bought a 500$ phone, don't get cheap on the small stuff lol!
    Thanked by:
    moosc 
    moosc likes this.

No scratches on the screen buy I do have cracks along the bottom where the LG emblem is at at the top corners I never dropped it

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lou61166 View Post
    No scratches on the screen buy I do have cracks along the bottom where the LG emblem is at at the top corners I never dropped it

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Well you have the Verizon variant, and I think it sort of speaks for itself...

I have a Verizon device and no issues.. scratches are a sign of how well you treat your phone or not. However if you do not want a scratched screen, put a protector on it. Period. There are plenty out there that do not take away from the screens clarity..also I believe the gorilla glass has a coating on it which is where the scratches come from and not the glass itself....

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

First thing I did when I picked up a G2 for myself and one for the wife was get the salesperson to install screen protectors on both. Ordered an Otterbox Defender for when I am at work, as I am a field supervisor in the telecom industry so I am taking no chances. (yes the phone is freeking huge in the Otterbox but it is safe) Spigen Slim Armor for the wife's phone and one for mine for the weekends when it will be in a pocket. Like said in an earlier post these are $600.00+ units and a little protection is a good thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast