A long day with my G2. Battery/Pictures and more

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
My Fridays are always long! So a perfect day to try out the new G2.

So far I have had no problem what so ever with the phone. Spent Thursday night setting it up the way I wanted it (apps, wallpaper, settings, etc...).

The single strength is way better then my GNex, there was only a couple places my GNex wouldn't stay on 4G and they happened to be at home and at work. Go figure right! So last night at home my phone was on 4G I would say 90% of the time. Tonight at work the same thing, stayed on 4G pretty much the whole time. More on that later.

The speaker. I'm sure this is no HTC One, but I wouldn't know because I have never owned one and have only looked at them in the store (didn't like it because of hand feel and small screen on a large phone). I can compare it to my GNex, and one again blows it out of the water. I have not used it as a speaker phone but did watch Netflix using it and it was plenty loud for anything I would ever need. If I want loud music I have a blue tooth speaker for that (but haven't tried blue tooth yet).

Have used it to make a few phones calls and I could hear the the other person just fine, loud and clear. And none of them said anything about not being able to hear me etc..

Screen, I love it! Used it a lot outside today and had no problems with it. Not going to say it's the same as viewing inside because that would be a lie. But much easier to see once again then my GNex. The colors are great and not over done at all.

LG's UI, didn't take me long at all to get use to it, figure out would be harder because my only Android to date was the GNex. So I was worried going from stock Android to this phone. But not the case at all. Verizon doesn't have the slides for the screen brightness and volume on the pull down notification plus you can turn off the Qslide notification as well. So all you have is the top roll of toggles. The settings menu comes as a list pretty much like stock Android so easy to use. You can change it to tabs but no thanks. Apps and Widgets draws also runs pretty much like stock. And everybody calls it a touchwise copy, well of it is they didn't copy the lag because there is none what so ever!

So I took around 60 pictures today on my first go round while testing the battery. It took a little getting use to, I keep using the Knock On and then camera app instead of the volume down button. But after about 40 pictures I remembered to use it and it works pretty good. Most pictures where taken outside so if course they came out good. I can tell this has a much better camera then the GNex, but I have not gotten to play with all the software part of it yet. I will add that the edit features of the software is a lot like stock edit in ICS. Will post some pictures below.

Buttons and Knock On. To be honest I haven't really used the buttons, Knock On is awesome and that's pretty much all I had be used. Is it perfect, no. A few times of had not worked right away to turn the phone on and I noticed it had only done it when the phone had been Idle awhile. Not ever time it has been idle but that seems to be when it has happened. The volume keys I haven't used much either. I finally started using the volume down to turn on the phone and go straight to camera. But while watching videos I normally use the controls on the screen to adjust volume. By the way volume was great with headphones.

Battery life. I have used the phone over two different 7 stretches.

The first time is when I took all the pictures. I did not take screen shots of these details but wrote them down.
Time off charger : 7 hours
Screen time : 3 hours
Screen brightness : used Auto, 80% and 100%
Was on wifi, 4G and even some 3G
Took 60 + pictures
Battery left was 40%
I think that's pretty good, freaking great coming from the phone I did.

Second 7 hours was very heavy use! All on 4G, no wifi. I used several apps and Facebook. Streamed YouTube, IDMB, and Netflix. And watched and shows downloaded to the phone. All at 80% and 100% brightness. I really abused it!
Time of charger : 7hrs 10mins
Screen time: 5hrs 9mins
12% battery left
Screen shots below.

FYI even though I mentioned the edit feathers earlier none of the pictures posted have been edited.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379150638748.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150638748.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 233
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150658543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150658543.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150685088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150685088.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 247
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150707490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150707490.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 243
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150729403.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150729403.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 242
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150758008.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150758008.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 241
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150785463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150785463.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 247
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150812819.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150812819.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 239
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150835738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150835738.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 248
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150858749.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150858749.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 238
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150877689.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150877689.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 254
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379150895750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379150895750.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 254

vaxick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
These real world shots with this camera are just not that great. There is some strange post processing going on because all these pictures look soft and have lost detail in the process.

The metering isn't too great either. I'm surprised to see so much detail blown out and plenty of pictures with completely blown out skies. I know it's a phone, but I do really want a good camera in a phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
These real world shots with this camera are just not that great. There is some strange post processing going on because all these pictures look soft and have lost detail in the process.

The metering isn't too great either. I'm surprised to see so much detail blown out and plenty of pictures with completely blown out skies. I know it's a phone, but I do really want a good camera in a phone.

It may have something to do with using Tapatalk to post the pictures. When I look at them with my phone in this thread the details are not there, but when I look at them in my gallery on my phone you can see a lot more detail.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update/review. Makes me look forward to getting mine today even more. The camera pics look even better than others have described.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update/review. Makes me look forward to getting mine today even more. The camera pics look even better than others have described.

Yup. I had no idea what the poster criticizing the pictures was talking about. I'm looking at them on an 8'' tablet and they look great! I enlarged them and the detail still held up. You need to click on each picture to see the full detail in a separate window. The pix in the thread itself don't have that detail. Additionally, the poster may not be aware that where the sky was blown out, the subjects were in the shade. Not hard to understand why the sky may have blown out. Trying the HDR setting can help in those situations.

But the fact is, most of those pictures were tack sharp and the colors very nice. One thing I like about this camera is that it has lots of detail without the oversharpened look of my GS3. It seems to take nicer shots than the GS4 too. :)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I had no idea what the poster criticizing the pictures was talking about. I'm looking at them on an 8'' tablet and they look great! I enlarged them and the detail still held up. Additionally, the poster may not be aware that where the sky was blown out, the subjects were in the shade. Not hard to understand why the sky may have blown out. Trying the HDR setting can help in those situations.

But the fact is, most of those pictures were tack sharp and the colors very nice. One thing I like about this camera is that it has lots of detail without the oversharpened look of my GS3. It seems to take nicer shots than the GS4 too. :)

I fought to mention all of those pictures where taken in normal mode and everything set to auto. I should have tried done HDR but with two kids I was lucky to get them to be still as long as I did.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
TX, never mind what that poster said, most of those pictures look great. Again, they must be opened in a separate window to see the details. You lose a lot looking at them within the thread. Simply click on each one and they'll open in a separate window.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
TX, never mind what that poster said, most of those pictures look great. Again, they must be opened in a separate window to see the details. You lose a lot looking at them within the thread. Simply click on each one and they'll open in a separate window.

As you can see by the hours I used my phone and hours I posted at I have been on the phone all day and haven't looked at the pictures on anything else. I know they look great to me in my gallery, even when I zoom in.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think some posters have their eye on another phone and like to knock the hot phone they're not considering. All reviews mention how nice the camera is on the G2.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Tne posters on the GS4 forums. Too many posts about how the GS4's camera is vastly better than the G2's camera, especially for the G2 being a hi-end device.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Battery seems good.

How are the soft keys at the bottom? Can you customize them? I think I read that there isn't any multitasking key in there.

Posted via Android Central App

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
My Fridays are always long! So a perfect day to try out the new G2.

So far I have had no problem what so ever with the phone. Spent Thursday night setting it up the way I wanted it (apps, wallpaper, settings, etc...).

The single strength is way better then my GNex, there was only a couple places my GNex wouldn't stay on 4G and they happened to be at home and at work. Go figure right! So last night at home my phone was on 4G I would say 90% of the time. Tonight at work the same thing, stayed on 4G pretty much the whole time. More on that later.

The speaker. I'm sure this is no HTC One, but I wouldn't know because I have never owned one and have only looked at them in the store (didn't like it because of hand feel and small screen on a large phone). I can compare it to my GNex, and one again blows it out of the water. I have not used it as a speaker phone but did watch Netflix using it and it was plenty loud for anything I would ever need. If I want loud music I have a blue tooth speaker for that (but haven't tried blue tooth yet).

Have used it to make a few phones calls and I could hear the the other person just fine, loud and clear. And none of them said anything about not being able to hear me etc..

Screen, I love it! Used it a lot outside today and had no problems with it. Not going to say it's the same as viewing inside because that would be a lie. But much easier to see once again then my GNex. The colors are great and not over done at all.

LG's UI, didn't take me long at all to get use to it, figure out would be harder because my only Android to date was the GNex. So I was worried going from stock Android to this phone. But not the case at all. Verizon doesn't have the slides for the screen brightness and volume on the pull down notification plus you can turn off the Qslide notification as well. So all you have is the top roll of toggles. The settings menu comes as a list pretty much like stock Android so easy to use. You can change it to tabs but no thanks. Apps and Widgets draws also runs pretty much like stock. And everybody calls it a touchwise copy, well of it is they didn't copy the lag because there is none what so ever!

So I took around 60 pictures today on my first go round while testing the battery. It took a little getting use to, I keep using the Knock On and then camera app instead of the volume down button. But after about 40 pictures I remembered to use it and it works pretty good. Most pictures where taken outside so if course they came out good. I can tell this has a much better camera then the GNex, but I have not gotten to play with all the software part of it yet. I will add that the edit features of the software is a lot like stock edit in ICS. Will post some pictures below.

Buttons and Knock On. To be honest I haven't really used the buttons, Knock On is awesome and that's pretty much all I had be used. Is it perfect, no. A few times of had not worked right away to turn the phone on and I noticed it had only done it when the phone had been Idle awhile. Not ever time it has been idle but that seems to be when it has happened. The volume keys I haven't used much either. I finally started using the volume down to turn on the phone and go straight to camera. But while watching videos I normally use the controls on the screen to adjust volume. By the way volume was great with headphones.

Battery life. I have used the phone over two different 7 stretches.

The first time is when I took all the pictures. I did not take screen shots of these details but wrote them down.
Time off charger : 7 hours
Screen time : 3 hours
Screen brightness : used Auto, 80% and 100%
Was on wifi, 4G and even some 3G
Took 60 + pictures
Battery left was 40%
I think that's pretty good, freaking great coming from the phone I did.

Second 7 hours was very heavy use! All on 4G, no wifi. I used several apps and Facebook. Streamed YouTube, IDMB, and Netflix. And watched and shows downloaded to the phone. All at 80% and 100% brightness. I really abused it!
Time of charger : 7hrs 10mins
Screen time: 5hrs 9mins
12% battery left
Screen shots below.

FYI even though I mentioned the edit feathers earlier none of the pictures posted have been edited.

How in the world do you get rid of q slide up top? I really don't like my status bar cluttered haha

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Wow are you kidding? The photos look amazing! I was definitely not expecting anywhere close to this quality. Basically every new Android phone released this year said this camera is amazing, that one's ok.... but still great blah blah blah, but finally. These have to be the best quality Smartphone pics I've seen on any forum anyway.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Battery seems good.

How are the soft keys at the bottom? Can you customize them? I think I read that there isn't any multitasking key in there.

There is no multi-tasking button, however coming from the GNEX I have quickly been able to adapt to it. You just long press on the home button for the traditional muti-tasking view. Also, just because, I love the whole knock on feature and have completely adapted to that as well in just a day of use. This morning my wife handed her GS4 and I tapped the screen right away,then laughed at myself because that conditioning happened so fast! Then I was like,in a somewhat snobbish tone; "Oh yeah, YOU have to push the power button!"

vaxick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think some posters have their eye on another phone and like to knock the hot phone they're not considering. All reviews mention how nice the camera is on the G2.

Lol, no I do not. My current phone is a HTC Trophy. I can't really favorite a Android phone when I do not own one. Those were my opinions viewing said photos on a IPS monitor. I'm also big into photography so when I see things like blown out highlights, it is a disappointment because I've seen other cellphone cameras meter properly to leave details intact.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol, no I do not. My current phone is a HTC Trophy. I can't really favorite a Android phone when I do not own one. Those were my opinions viewing said photos on a IPS monitor. I'm also big into photography so when I see things like blown out highlights, it is a disappointment because I've seen other cellphone cameras meter properly to leave details intact.

Photographers have a critical eye, I saw what you meant, but then again, it's not a Nikon or a Canon DSLR.

Pretty good pictures for a stock phone camera though. :)

Sent via Note II

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Battery seems good.

You can add a notification pull down button and move them around. That's about it. To use multitasking just hold down the home button, didn't take long to get used too. Also I noticed when you swipe in multitasking it closes the app not just removing it from multitasking like stock Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois