Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By adrialk
  • 5 Post By willypguy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default LG G 2 or Droid Maxx?

I have a very tuff choice to make either the droid maxx or G2. I played with both at Verizon store and the g2 screen was amazing and was very fast but I'm drawn to the maxx and battery life. Which to chose and had anyone had both?

Default Re: LG G 2 or Droid Maxx?

I think the Maxx has a 3300Mah battery vs the 3000 in the G2 so the battery life will be better although maybe bit as much as you think. I looked at both and went with the G2 but to each his own.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

If battery life is your priority then definitely get the maxx. Otherwise i think the G2 is a far superior phone

G2 battery will make you proud.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberr8der View Post
    I think the Maxx has a 3300Mah battery vs the 3000 in the G2 so the battery life will be better although maybe bit as much as you think.

Sent from my VS980 4G4G using Tapatalk 4
    New MAXX is 3500 mAh

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Deron Baker likes this.

Global Posts
    2,660 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

The G2 has some nice software features, and so does the Maxx. I have the Moto X as well and love Active Notifications, but really don't like the screen and prefer something bigger. Take advantage of your 14 day return too. If you don't like the phone return it for the other. It will cost you a $35 restocking fee, but worth it to get the phone you like.

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

They are both good phones. My brother had the maxx and he likes it a lot. I would go to the store and try them both. One might jump out at you.

Sent from my A500 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tpdtopcop View Post
    I have a very tuff choice to make either the droid maxx or G2. I played with both at Verizon store and the g2 screen was amazing and was very fast but I'm drawn to the maxx and battery life. Which to chose and had anyone had both?
    If you know what features you need in a device then your choice is easy. These two devices couldn't be more different from each other, which should make choosing very easy. Do you know what is important to you in a device? The device that meets more of those needs/desires is your choice. Noone can make that determination for you.

My last two phones had the Amoled screen and both had burn in. Beautiful screens until then. So the choice was easy for me, tying the IPS screen, higher resolution, and still a large battery. G2

I have both the Maxx and the g2. I am selling the Maxx. Before the Maxx, I had the S4. Once you go to a 1080 screen, it is difficult to adjust back to a 720, like the Maxx has. I did not like the battery on the S4, so I went to the Maxx. The Maxx has a good battery, Active Notifications, Touchless control, and that's really it. It is also very close to stock Android. It is far from a future proof phone as it only has a dual core processor with a couple of low power processors and a GPU that compares to the HTC One and the S4.

The g2 has the newest quad core processor, a camera that is the best I have ever used on a phone, and a screen that is the best I have ever used on a phone, ten times better than the S4's pentile garbage.

Reception is better on the Maxx because of Motorola radios, but the g2 also has good reception. Both are definitely better than the S4.

But ultimately it is up to you. Full retail and promotional, the g2 is cheaper. If you need a big battery, get the Maxx. Both screens are non-pentile, but the Maxx is only 720p AMOLED, as opposed to 1080p IPS on the g2. AMOLED is subject to burn in, over time. And both have wireless charging.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

The G2 has great battery life and is much more future proof spec wise. Of course, only time will tell how quickly software updates are applied to either phone. The G2 also seems to have a much better camera and screen than the latest Motorola devices. I haven't owned the Maxx but I did have the Moto X.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I have this same quandry. I am coming from the RMHD and was sold on its battery life. I even get anxious when the battery goes below 50% since it hardly ever did on that phone. I've had the G2 since launch day and its a great phone. I love everything about it except that it doesn't have the 3500 mah battery that the Maxx has and maybe active notifications which I hear are great. I love knock on, love the screen, love how light it is, but I just keep thinking "what if I'd gotten that Maxx with the huge battery for piece of mind?" Would I be happier? Hard to say. The battery life on my G2 isn't quite as good as my RMHD and the Droid Maxx should be far better than both. I have a week and a half to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    I have this same quandry. I am coming from the RMHD and was sold on its battery life. I even get anxious when the battery goes below 50% since it hardly ever did on that phone. I've had the G2 since launch day and its a great phone. I love everything about it except that it doesn't have the 3500 mah battery that the Maxx has and maybe active notifications which I hear are great. I love knock on, love the screen, love how light it is, but I just keep thinking "what if I'd gotten that Maxx with the huge battery for piece of mind?" Would I be happier? Hard to say. The battery life on my G2 isn't quite as good as my RMHD and the Droid Maxx should be far better than both. I have a week and a half to decide.
    About how long is the G2 lasting for you? And how does it compare to your current RMHD?

(Yes, I'm trying to decide between the G2 and the new Maxx as well)
    Banned

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpdtopcop View Post
    g2. A mile ahead technically.

Posted via Android Central App

I have the Droid Maxx, and love it. It's a solid, quality phone, and the battery is awesome. No lag whatsoever, the speakers are loud and crisp, the screen is nice, and I love the active notification. The camera leaves allot to be desired. It's a little heavier then the other phones, but with its rubbery textured coating it has a quality feel to it, not to mention no finger prints. I'm not a Maxx fan boy by any means, this is my first Droid phone (long time iphone user). With all that being said, you can't dispute the specs of the G2, so yesterday I went to the Verizon store to physically compare my Maxx with the G2. Thinking I may trade in my Maxx. The G2 has a beautiful, bright display. It is better then the Maxx, but only noticeable if you had them side by side like I did. I thought my Maxx was fast, but it didn't compare to the G2. The G2 also has 3mg of memory, 1mg dedicated to video. I didn't like the feel of the G2. The G2 is lighter then the Maxx, and had a plastic feel to it. I'm not saying it's not a quality phone, but it didn't have that quality feel to it. Better then the S4 though. Im anal so the finger prints would drive me nuts, but a case would solve that problem. I'm not sure, but the G2 seemed more customizable then the Maxx. Bottom line, I think the G2 is a "overall" better phone, but I kept my Maxx. Main reason, it felt better in my hand, and I'm not a big camera, or video guy, and at this point your not going to beat the Maxx battery life. Just my 2 cents. OOPS, I left something out. A downside for purchasing the Maxx is the price, $300. WTF.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Well I am glad I'm not the only one who has this type of decision to make. Thanks for all the replys. What I love about the Motorola maxx is the build quality, heft, active notifications, and is very fluid, along with great reception but screen has vs little to be desired. LG G2 amazing screen,at least according to reports a good battery life, knock knock and camera. Phone does feel kind of cheap on the other hand compared to maxx . Tough decision for me.

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ANewPlay256 View Post
    About how long is the G2 lasting for you? And how does it compare to your current RMHD?

(Yes, I'm trying to decide between the G2 and the new Maxx as well)
    I can't say exactly as I haven't had it much below 50%. My casual comparison is that in a 10h shift in the ER my GNex would be at 30% or sometimes lower by the end. My RMHD was generally around 75-low 80's% by the end. In the last 3 days my G2 is ending the shift around 65-70%. So its not a huge difference, but the battery does seem to drain faster. Is it "good enough"? Probably, but I keep longing for that 3500mah battery of the Maxx just for piece of mind. I like almost every other feature of the G2 better, except for the smaller battery. And I hear active notifications is cool too.

When it comes to battery life on the G2 versus the Maxx, keep in mind that the G2 has the newer Snapdragon 800 chip set, which contributes to better battery life. The Maxx is using a modified Snapdragon S4 pro as part of its X8 computing system.

Overall the G2 is better in terms of specs all around and the battery isn't that much smaller than what the Maxx has.

They are both good phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I have the same decision to make. I have a RMHD and I'm looking to upgrade. I love the battery life on this phone with its 3300mah as I can usually get well into day 2 if I stay off of candy crush. I know the G2 has a bigger and I assume more power hungry screen, but a better performing processor, and from what I've read, it really doesn't seem like too far of a difference in battery. I dont expect the G2 to last me until a second day, but I do want my phone to last from the time I unplug it in the morning till the time I go to sleep at night and still not be blinking red at me. I also worry about build quality differences. I've dropped my RMHD a few times and it just shrugs it off. I even accidentally left it in my pants when I threw them in the washer. Yes, a full wash cycle, let it dry out for 2 days and the only thing that doesn't work is the camera. Its built like a tank! When I held the G2, I didn't get that same well-built feeling. Sadly I haven't held the Maxx yet.

My qualm about the Droid Maxx is sure it has a huge battery and sure its a little bigger screen (5" but with no onscreen keys taking up realestate), but I worry about having a future-proof phone. my RMHD is laggy and slow and its only been a year. Sure it only has 1gb of RAM and all, and with Apps getting bigger and more cumbersome, I worry how the frankensteined dual core will handle things over time versus a top of the line S800. Any thoughts?

I have both the Maxx and LG G2. The Maxx would get about 40 minutes more battery life than my G2 under the same conditions. Both phones will make it through a full day. Mine is usually 6am to 10pm. I charge my phone every night so really not an issue for me. I just don't think the Maxx is worth $100 more for about 40 extra minutes of battery life. The LG G2 beats the Maxx in every way except the Kevlar back and maybe signal strength. I am finding them to be almost identical. The G2 actually has better call quality from my experience, better camera, display, processor and more features. The other nice feature for me is that it uses a micro SIM instead of the nano SIM in the Maxx. Much easier to switch between my phones. With the nano SIM I have to call Verizon every time I want to do an ESN swap. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32#WN View Post
    The LG G2 beats the Maxx in every way except the Kevlar back and maybe signal strength. I am finding them to be almost identical.
    Whats the difference in signal strength that you're seeing?

Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32#WN View Post
    I have both the Maxx and LG G2. The Maxx would get about 40 minutes more battery life than my G2 under the same conditions. Both phones will make it through a full day. Mine is usually 6am to 10pm. I charge my phone every night so really not an issue for me. I just don't think the Maxx is worth $100 more for about 40 extra minutes of battery life. The LG G2 beats the Maxx in every way except the Kevlar back and maybe signal strength. I am finding them to be almost identical. The G2 actually has better call quality from my experience, better camera, display, processor and more features. The other nice feature for me is that it uses a micro SIM instead of the nano SIM in the Maxx. Much easier to switch between my phones. With the nano SIM I have to call Verizon every time I want to do an ESN swap. Good luck.
    That much difference in the battery and there is really only 40 minutes of difference battery time? I'd be curious to test that for myself. Not saying you are incorrect. Just surprises me that it would be that small.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

They are both great devices and you really can't go wrong with either. On paper the g2 is better but the user experience is second to none on the new moto devices especially if you like stock android. Due to software optimization the max will be future proof. It doesn't need a quad core or 3 gigs of ram to run like a dream.

Sent from my Moto X

Camera, screen and speed are better, IMO, on the G2. Features like knock knock are also great.