Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Reception and Call Quality?

Everyone loves to talk about the other great features, which I do understand. I want a device with a great camera, battery life, etc.

But, can I please get some input on how this phones reception and call quality?

When I started looking at a phone 4 months or so ago, I was looking at the GS4 but what steered me away was the constant complains about reception. I need a phone that has great reception and call quality in addition to the other goodies. How is this phone when it comes to reception and call quality?

Default Re: Reception and Call Quality?

No problems with mine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Noticeably better than the GNex I just came from.

Much better than gnex, call quality and reception has been great so far. I'm in NYC

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Gnex? What is the actual name of that phone?

- - - Updated - - -

Gnex? What is the actual name of that phone?

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Mine are both very good on the G2. Better reception than the GS4 or One. Better call quality than GS4. The One could get better call quality, but was inconsistent. AT&T.

ROM
    I don't root.

Gnex = Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It was released in 2011. It kinda turned out to be a turd of a phone for many of its owners.
    Droid Razr MAXX HD since Dec 2012.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deron Baker View Post
    Gnex = Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It was released in 2011. It kinda turned out to be a turd of a phone for many of its owners.
    It was a POS. The only thing it had going for it was the beautiful design and nice curved glass. I don't get why people even bother mentioning it in these posts. It is a given that every single aspect of the G2 is better than the gnex. Good comparisons are with the gs3 or gs4 or htc one not some outdated phone that was released with weak hardware.

People are talking about the Galaxy Nexus a lot of people are upgrading from to a G2.

upgraded from the POS of the century Gnex as well. G2's reception is excellent. I couldn't get any signal in my laundry room with my Gnex. With G2 I get 4 bars with great speed.

Quote Originally Posted by rsantos97 View Post
    It was a POS. The only thing it had going for it was the beautiful design and nice curved glass. I don't get why people even bother mentioning it in these posts. It is a given that every single aspect of the G2 is better than the gnex. Good comparisons are with the gs3 or gs4 or htc one not some outdated phone that was released with weak hardware.
    People are mentioning it because that is what they are coming from. How can somebody compare it to the GS III, GS4, or the One when they didn't own one?

Quote Originally Posted by stew930 View Post
    People are talking about the Galaxy Nexus a lot of people are upgrading from to a G2.

This

My calls have all been good. No issues. Very happy about that. S3 - not so much.

I am not sure what to make of this... When I leave voice messages to work, home, and verizon voicemail, and play it back from a landline or my friend's droid maxx, we hear a high pitch buzz during the silent periods that I'm not talking. If I listen to the messages from the LG, the phone seems to filter it out. If I call my landline from the LG and just listen on the landline side, I hear a bit of hiss but not the same buzz I hear on the recordings. I find that part of it even more bizarre. I was expecting to hear the buzz.

So is this some artifact of the noise cancellation? By the way in case it doesn't occur to everyone, on verizon I can call voicemail from the cell phone, press 2 to compose, and put my own phone number, record it, then it goes into my voice mailbox. I then play it back on both the cell and the landline and compare what I hear.

Anyone else try this? Wondering if it's just my phone. I'm in that should I keep or trade or return 14-day phase. I'm wondering if the Moto X would have better call quality if only the microphone actually worked and didn't get from the bad batch.

Call quality on mine has been very good in all cases. The only thing that was better was my GS3 when talking to someone else who had a GS3. It's a very little known feature of the Samsungs, but they have something called HD voice (not sure of the exact name). It apparently produces a higher fidelity under certain circumstances (such as calling another GS3 owner) and my experience was when it kicked in, it was the best call quality I've ever heard. Unfortunately when I'd call anyone else, the call quality would revert to standard cellphone quality.

I don't know if the LG has that feature.

I am now finding occasions where on a call the speaker screeches and chirps over the person talking to me making them incoherent. It happens often at my place. I'm on verizon. I have good signal and my old 3G fascinate did not have problems like this. I think for the brief period I had the Moto X it also had the problem but I can't remember how bad it was, I was focused on the crappy microphone. So I am not sure if it's the G2 or somehow going to a 4G phone is causing it. Wouldn't I be using the same frequencies for voice service on a 3G or 4G verizon phone? I was wondering if it was interference but my old 3G phone was fine.

Oh, and the last time this happened I hung up and called the person back and for the most part all noise was gone. Was I put on a different channel?

I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD and I get the really loud screech that makes me jump every time as it's loud enough to actually hurt my ear. It does it maybe once every 6 months at most and its not something I want happening any more frequently than that if I get this phone, so I'll be watching this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by tomatosouplabs View Post
    I am now finding occasions where on a call the speaker screeches and chirps over the person talking to me making them incoherent. It happens often at my place. I'm on verizon. I have good signal and my old 3G fascinate did not have problems like this. I think for the brief period I had the Moto X it also had the problem but I can't remember how bad it was, I was focused on the crappy microphone. So I am not sure if it's the G2 or somehow going to a 4G phone is causing it. Wouldn't I be using the same frequencies for voice service on a 3G or 4G verizon phone? I was wondering if it was interference but my old 3G phone was fine.

Oh, and the last time this happened I hung up and called the person back and for the most part all noise was gone. Was I put on a different channel?
    I am also having this problem a lot. It almost acts like it on a fringe area of service but im in good service areas when this happens. This get really annoying when you cant hear what the other person is saying and it seems to be happening on a high percentage of calls.

Is their a way to update the Radios on the G2? seems like on my EVO's they had updates like the PRI or something like that. I am not sure if any of it is for updating the radios but thought it may help with this type of problem. My G2 only seems to have the ability to update firmware that I could see. this may also only be a verizon thing as this option was on my sprint Evo's.

Quote Originally Posted by mviars View Post
    I am also having this problem a lot. It almost acts like it on a fringe area of service but im in good service areas when this happens. This get really annoying when you cant hear what the other person is saying and it seems to be happening on a high percentage of calls.

Is their a way to update the Radios on the G2? seems like on my EVO's they had updates like the PRI or something like that. I am not sure if any of it is for updating the radios but thought it may help with this type of problem. My G2 only seems to have the ability to update firmware that I could see. this may also only be a verizon thing as this option was on my sprint Evo's.
    Thank you for confirming I am not the only one! I managed to reproduce this in a verizon store and a salesperson and manager heard it. They both said they never heard that sound before on any other phone on their network and were confused. They called an LG rep who is going to come look at my returned phone next week. I am on my third LG G2 with this problem and it's still happening. I am in contact with tech support and tomorrow the Verizon network team is going to analyze some calls I made with the problem, somehow. I'm not sure what they're going to discover, if anything.

I may end up switching to the Moto X and hoping that's better. I wasn't sure if I have some weird issue with being on 4G network where I use the phone but it doesn't make sense to me that my 3G fascinate works fine for voice in same areas.

By the way, my second G2 phone which I only had for a few hours, started overheating (see LG gets hot threads). Oh, and this third phone also has the other odd issue of doing high pitch buzz in-between my spoken words which is only heard by some phones or answering machines. The display unit in the verizon store does this too.

@tomatosouplabs
    Please update us on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by mviars View Post
    @tomatosouplabs
    Please update us on your progress.
    mviars: What phone did you have before this G2? I assume it didn't do this. I'm trying to rule out strictly a verizon network problem with 4G phones or anything like that under certain conditions.

First two calls were much crisper than my iPhone 5

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you for confirming I am not the only one! I managed to reproduce this in a verizon store and a salesperson and manager heard it. They both said they never heard that sound before on any other phone on their network and were confused. They called an LG rep who is going to come look at my returned phone next week. I am on my third LG G2 with this problem and it's still happening. I am in contact with tech support and tomorrow the Verizon network team is going to analyze some calls I made with the problem, somehow. I'm not sure what they're going to discover, if anything.

I may end up switching to the Moto X and hoping that's better. I wasn't sure if I have some weird issue with being on 4G network where I use the phone but it doesn't make sense to me that my 3G fascinate works fine for voice in same areas.

By the way, my second G2 phone which I only had for a few hours, started overheating (see LG gets hot threads). Oh, and this third phone also has the other odd issue of doing high pitch buzz in-between my spoken words which is only heard by some phones or answering machines. The display unit in the verizon store does this too.
    It's fascinating that all three of the devices you got had this problem. Just from the information you provided, the issue has got to be between the G2 radio and the towers you use. 3 on a row? That's a bit much to label chance occurrences.
    Man, I hope Verizon figures this out for you because I can only imagine how aggravating this is.
    The best revenge against haters is massive success!

mviars: What phone did you have before this G2? I assume it didn't do this. I'm trying to rule out strictly a verizon network problem with 4G phones or anything like that under certain conditions.

I was using a used thunderbolt until the G2 came out. no problems. Also other friends have verizon with no problems. seems to be an issue with a few G2 if you ask me. It is happening quite frequently and is REALLY annoying.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

It is not Verizon specific. I had an iPhone 4S on ATT, exchanged it 2 times, and tried others. They all did the same, at random. The original Moto Razor on ATT had this problem. Every cell phone has the potential to have this problem, if not designed correctly. You have a bunch of electronics packed into a small area that are sending and receiving data. Ever hear crazy noises coming out of nearby speakers when your cell phone rings or data is transmitted? Well, the same thing can happen in the internal speaker(s) on your phone, if the noise suppression, shielding, etc. are not just right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast