Notification light?

modern

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How's the notification light on the g2? Is it bright and can you see it from a distance? I'm currently using the Razr maxx hd and love the notification light. I can quickly glance at the color and can tell who is messaging me. Snap Chat default to yellow, yahoo mail purple, fb will flash blue etc..

Having a bright led is very important. I don't really care for the active notification on the moto x or the droids and rather have a nice led.

Thanks!

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I KNOW. thats why i loved blocking mode on the GS4..it turned off that damn light. the G2 light is WAY too bright..and it sucsk cuz i can't flip it over bc i use wireless charging. g rr

dhughes

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Does it do different colors for apps? Like on my gs3, blue is for texts/emails, green for Facebook messages, yellow for snapchat etc... I read a review that said the only colors are green and orange.

Posted via Android Central App

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it do different colors for apps? Like on my gs3, blue is for texts/emails, green for Facebook messages, yellow for snapchat etc... I read a review that said the only colors are green and orange.

It can display all colors. Built in it does green for most notifications, blue for a calendar event and red for charging. Alarm does a multi color cycle. It's white when you turn on the display.

With an app like Lightflow you might be able to customize the colors more, as with the built in UI you can only toggle certain events on and off but not choose the color.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 2

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
It can display all colors. Built in it does green for most notifications, blue for a calendar event and red for charging. Alarm does a multi color cycle. It's white when you turn on the display.

With an app like Lightflow you might be able to customize the colors more, as with the built in UI you can only toggle certain events on and off but not choose the color.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 2

Actually I wonder if it can do any color other than red, green, blue (and white). I tried an app where you can select any RGB level and the light blinks only one of the three colors (I think whichever of the RGB numbers is highest). I haven't tried white yet. As for alarm it only seems to use two colors with fading on/off to make it look like it's multicolor.

As was said, the built in UI doesn't let you change the colors which in itself is annoying but what takes the cake is the manual says you can!! They make the LED look like it's a button you can press to change it but it doesn't do anything. I think it is silly to have missed calls, emails, texts, voicemails, all green.

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The only place you can change the notification led is in contacts...weird.
Also G2 has a 'quiet more's in sounds that will turn off rings....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually I wonder if it can do any color other than red, green, blue (and white). I tried an app where you can select any RGB level and the light blinks only one of the three colors (I think whichever of the RGB numbers is highest). I haven't tried white yet. As for alarm it only seems to use two colors with fading on/off to make it look like it's multicolor.

As was said, the built in UI doesn't let you change the colors which in itself is annoying but what takes the cake is the manual says you can!! They make the LED look like it's a button you can press to change it but it doesn't do anything. I think it is silly to have missed calls, emails, texts, voicemails, all green.

I swear I can see yellow on the Alarm when I toggle it. It's pretty fast though so I could be mistaken. I agree though that its disappointing that you can't change the colors.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I discovered today that you can set the notification light color by contact. If you open a contact and edit it, you will have the option to select the light color for notifications from that particular contact, and it includes the array of colors.

Pretty cool!

So the light can indeed display more colors than straight RBG. Here is a shot of the options.

nuba7apu.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I discovered today that you can set the notification light color by contact. If you open a contact and edit it, you will have the option to select the light color for notifications from that particular contact, and it includes the array of colors.

Pretty cool!

So the light can indeed display more colors than straight RBG. Here is a shot of the options.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/nuba7apu.jpg

If they have that setting, why don't they have that option for different alerts from apps? Makes no sense. You shouldn't have to use something like LightFlow if the phone can do it natively.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If they have that setting, why don't they have that option for different alerts from apps? Makes no sense. You shouldn't have to use something like LightFlow if the phone can do it natively.

I can't disagree with you there. It's definitely odd that you can change it at the contact level but not globally.

acastillo922

May 28, 2011
Visit site
In reply to Ken7

In settings, display, tap on the words notification light, it will take you the screen where u can change colors.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
In settings, display, tap on the words notification light, it will take you the screen where u can change colors.

You cannot actually change the colors in that settings menu, only turn the light on and off, for certain notification types. Where you can change the color as mentioned above, is by editing a contact and selecting a different color for notifications from that particular contact by scrolling down and clicking the Notification LED option.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't disagree with you there. It's definitely odd that you can change it at the contact level but not globally.

I agree; I noticed this as well.

I don't see this ability (to change colors) on the Verizon variant. Am I missing it?

This option does appear in the Verizon variant when you enter edit mode for a contact.

The "Lightflow" app should override these settings and allow any customization you desrie.

I installed LightFlow Lite tonight but it doesn't seem to be overriding the native LED notifications (including a few custom contact notifications I've set.) I've done a reboot and still nothing. Not sure what's up. Haven't really had time to play with it much, so will report back if I figure it out.

Hmmmm ..., now that I think of it, I seem to remember on my Blackberry that you had to disable the native notifications in order for BerryBuzz to work properly. May have to look into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol