Wonky video autofocus

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I have with the G2 is that when shooting video, the autofocus is a bit wonky. I've had this with most other cellphone cameras I've used, but given how generally good the video is, it's a shame that this issue exists. I'm sure it's not just mine since virtually every review I've seen on the phone either shows this issue in their samples or discusses it.

Anybody find a solution to this? It would have been great if there was the ability to use manual focus as this would eliminate the problem.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
yep its awful. on the gs4 there's an option to have focus set in video and not be auto.. but not on this phone... so it's constantly "pulsing" even if nothing is moving in the video. it makes the videos look awful.

low light quality pretty much blows too. nothing will stay in focus and it all looks blurry. to be honest, my gs4 makes better videos that looks like a much higher definition than the g2 sadly.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had this on other phones too.

This is begging for an app to lock focus, when desired.

Of maybe an update from LG if enough people complain to them. I'm sure it can be done.

How do every the word directly to LG?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had this on other phones too.

This is begging for an app to lock focus, when desired.

Of maybe an update from LG if enough people complain to them. I'm sure it can be done.

How do every the word directly to LG?

Yeah, I thought exactly the same thing. You would think there's an app somewhere that could lock the focus...and yes, I'd also think an update from LG would certainly be possible.

Jayochs, the only area I'd disagree with you is the overall quality of the video when it's not focus shifting. I've put the videos on my plasma and the sharpness is the best I've seen from any cellphone. That's what makes it such a pity that the autofocus detracts from this.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Just confirming I observed the continual auto-focusing. It would be one thing if it needed it, but I'm just holding it or very slowly panning and it all looks in focus to me fine but then there's the "pulsing" anyway. I think if it senses anything move, like a car going by or something, it does it. Who knows why. It's annoying to watch it do it.

I'm debating over low light. I think I discovered a "trick" which maybe isn't a trick if you know what you're doing... if you tap to focus the subject in a darker scene, it all gets brighter. Maybe it has to do with metering.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think if enough people complain, LG might either fix it or offer manual 'touch to focus' in video mode.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah we need the manual focus, much like the camera app has. now, on sense with htc phones, our developers were able to create custom high quality cameras with more options.. one of which was the ability to turn auto focus off, since in sense it was always on. I'm wondering once we get some devs here if they will be able to do that

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4

vaxick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I think if enough people complain, LG might either fix it or offer manual 'touch to focus' in video mode.

This has been a issue with a lot of LG phones to the point it even has a term coined after it. It's called the breathing autofocus. Previous LG owners begged for a fix and it was never solved. This issue was discovered on the G2 as well when it came out in Korea. I'd like to say LG has learned their lesson, but thus far, it's having the same issue that was famous on the Optimus line.

nytrus113

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Also, maybe it's just me. But I find the still camera painfully slow and not terribly spot on with auto focus either. Anyone else notice very delayed times after hitting shutter before actually getting a shot to happen?

Posted via Android Central App

maxLG

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Use other camera apps like: the beta Focal.apk ( from Play store ). No more breathing focus.
Try also Super camera or Snap camera!

maxLG

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Focal: still a beta.
Google play version: only video works
Internet version: only Pictures.
I like Snap camera:
Indoors: ISO 1600 + sports mode
Try it!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I've also noticed that the audio is messed up on the G2. The mic picks up voices very well, but when things get quiet, the sound actually cuts in and out. Try taking a video with just ambient noises, like in a park or you back yard. The noise cancellation is over active and suppresses ambeint sounds. Background noises always sounds muffled or like the video was taken under water. Really disappointed in the G2 video camera. Really hurts an otherwise great phone.

swagner

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
The stock app seems to be better at adjusting for light as a scene changes, but Focal takes care of the breathing. Focal locked when switching from video back to camera and was a bit low after hitting the button to actually snap the shot.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there a video recording app where you can just tap and focus and it won't refocus until next time you tap and refocus again? Disable autofocus completely.
Since we have optical stabilization that doesn't help because it keeps trying to focus all the time, very annoying. .

guyladouche

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I know it's a bit of an old thread, but you can try the app from the Play Store (appropriately) called "LGCamera." It's not made by LG, and it works with non-LG phones. The app lets you control almost every setting manually, including focus. It helped the GODAWFUL focus-breathing on my LG Optimus G. I haven't yet tried it with my G2 because the stock still camera app isn't susceptible to focus-breathing. But video, it is still, and I might use lgcamera for video shooting. It's a paid app, I think $2. It was worth it for my O G. I'm not sure about the G2 since the stock still camera is so good. So disappointing that LG keeps doing the really dumb software things that totally ruin a great piece of hardware. Still love my G2, wouldn't get a different phone, but come on...this is nothing new, and continually re-focusing while capturing video is a very dumb feature to include and not have a way to disable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781