Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Holy crap textra is amazing

For those of you new to this phone and also new to Android. Download TEXTRA.

It's a text messaging app that us just light years amazing. Fast smooth. And tons of good options.

Also you can disable screen on with this app and even configure the led color for Texts. The quick reply function is also better then LGs.

Get it now!!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    hodan 
    KoukiFC3S and neonworm like this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

Default Re: Holy crap textra is amazing

I actually have no issues with the stock SMS client on the G2, but I tried Textra anyway. It's a very nice app, but there are some disadvantages to using it:

1) No badges in the stock launcher
    2) No ability to convert a video to MMS like you can with the stock SMS client
    3) Can't resize the text size of messages on the fly with pinch-to-zoom
    4) No scheduled messaging
    5) Inability to attach location, contact, schedule, note pad

I may be missing something. I really DO like that you can set it not to wake up the screen. That's the one thing that I'd like to be able to turn off, but I can't give up the other features of the stock client for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    I actually have no issues with the stock SMS client on the G2, but I tried Textra anyway. It's a very nice app, but there are some disadvantages to using it:

1) No badges in the stock launcher
    2) No ability to convert a video to MMS like you can with the stock SMS client
    3) Can't resize the text size of messages on the fly with pinch-to-zoom
    4) No scheduled messaging
    5) Inability to attach location, contact, schedule, note pad

I may be missing something. I really DO like that you can set it not to wake up the screen. That's the one thing that I'd like to be able to turn off, but I can't give up the other features of the stock client for that.
    You can set the stock messaging app not to wake up the screen. Go to messaging, settings, notification, and uncheck "new message pop-up"

Thanks for the recommendation, I just downloaded the app, works flawlessly.

Thanked by:
    DoyouFanBoyBro likes this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bochenko View Post
    You can set the stock messaging app not to wake up the screen. Go to messaging, settings, notification, and uncheck "new message pop-up"
    Yeah, but I actually WANT the popup. I just don't want the screen to wake up. If you turn that off, you lose the status bar popup as well.

So I just gave up my N4 for this...and I come to find that there is no group messaging? Am I missing something? All my buddies are in a group msg and I get each one individually....this is 2013...if there is no group text, I will return the phone tomorrow. glad I didn't root it yet.
    bgask1717 likes this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shea-bird View Post
    So I just gave up my N4 for this...and I come to find that there is no group messaging? Am I missing something? All my buddies are in a group msg and I get each one individually....this is 2013...if there is no group text, I will return the phone tomorrow. glad I didn't root it yet.
    There are a number of SMS apps with group messaging. The Optimus G Pro didn't have it either and the Nexus 4 didn't until the most recent version of Android. Taking a great phone back for that one flaw seems hasty.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Yeh I get a response from each of them separate. But firstly my HTC One has the same issue. And secondly, I use whatsapp much more frequently. Like most people my major gripe is with not being able to disable screen wakeup with every single New text. That's ridiculous and a waste of battery. Also, people keep saying to uncheck the pop up option in settings. For the record that does NOT stop the screen from waking up. :-(

Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts

Textra has group messaging and it works great.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    There are a number of SMS apps with group messaging. The Optimus G Pro didn't have it either and the Nexus 4 didn't until the most recent version of Android. Taking a great phone back for that one flaw seems hasty.

It is hasty I'm not really going to do that, but its rather annoying, as it's a feature I use on a daily basis.
    bgask1717 likes this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

It is hasty I'm not really going to do that, but its rather annoying, as it's a feature I use on a daily basis.
    I agree. I hate when really basic features are missing, but this phone is awesome.

bgask1717 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrus113 View Post
    Yeh I get a response from each of them separate. But firstly my HTC One has the same issue. And secondly, I use whatsapp much more frequently. Like most people my major gripe is with not being able to disable screen wakeup with every single New text. That's ridiculous and a waste of battery. Also, people keep saying to uncheck the pop up option in settings. For the record that does NOT stop the screen from waking up. :-(

Hmm, mine doesn't wake up the screen everytime i get a text... Maybe you have some strange setting on? Or maybe you dont have any lock screen set? I have the default lock screen and I use knock on/off to turn off the screen after I text.

You need to enable it in settings. It works with any phone that supports it..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

I like textra so far...except for the fact you cant do special unique notifications for certain people. (aka gf, best friend, mom, etc). Thats what I miss about Handcent. But textra just much more smoother imo.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,209 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Been using Textra on my Note 2 for the last 4 months with no issues and yes it has group messaging. Just add more names of all you want to send the message to.
    3348b76f
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kkel19 View Post
    I like textra so far...except for the fact you cant do special unique notifications for certain people. (aka gf, best friend, mom, etc). Thats what I miss about Handcent. But textra just much more smoother imo.
    Have you tried long pressing a conversation? You can set unique notifications there.

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nytrus113 View Post

The htc one has group messaging. I use it all the time. Its in the message setting at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bochenko View Post
    Yes but i WANT a message pop-up, and textra has the best implementation of this so far, because with Textra you can make it so the POP up never happens over what you are doing, so it's not annoying and just use the DROP DOWN bar, and when you tap on texts inside of that you get a quick reply pop up. then it goes away. It's brilliant and easy
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Yeah the G2 has group messasing, also Textra does group messaging.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

the group messaging for the stock messaging app doesn't seem to work right unless the people you are talking to probably need to have it as well, which now that I think of it is probably the case.

What carrier are you on? I have the Verizon S4 and group messaging works fine, never had a problem with it using the stock Messaging app.

EDIT: I'm an *****, just realized I was posting in wrong forum...carry on.
    robstunner likes this.

I loved GO SMS Pro back in the day, but the excessive customization got in the way of the functionality. I LOVED the options at first but ultimately I just need it to send and receive messages. Textra I have been using for a few months and love it. It's smooth, still has options, but gets the job done in a more consistent manner than Go did.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I'm on Verizon, stock group messaging works fine on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by zack370z View Post
    I'm on Verizon, stock group messaging works fine on my phone

I created a thread about this today. Looks like the Verizon version has the ability to properly do group messaging in the stock app. The AT&T version does not have that setting. Which honestly I find ridiculous that all Android phones don't handle group messaging correctly in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by koukifc3s View Post
    have you tried long pressing a conversation? You can set unique notifications there.

Posted via android central app

omg thank you!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast