Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Knock Feature not responding ...

After my phone has been inactive for a while it takes at least 3 times knocking to get my screen to come on. After that it just works, and works well. This just me? Am I missing a setting that may correct this? Thanks.

Default Re: The Knock Feature not responding ...

Sometimes it will take me 2 cycles of 'tap tap' when it's been inactive. As you said, after that it's fine. I'd say this happens 20% of the time when inactive.

Also try rebooting to restore normalcy.

Same thing happens to me. So now if my phone has been sitting for awhile I will use the power button first.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine behaves the same way. Just a thought but maybe after an extended period of inactivity the software puts the phone in a deep sleep mode shutting off sensors and such to conserve power.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    Mine behaves the same way. Just a thought but maybe after an extended period of inactivity the software puts the phone in a deep sleep mode shutting off sensors and such to conserve power.
    Yeah pretty much what I was thinking. But it's always nice to know if it's the norm or not.

Mine rarely activates on the first 2 knocks. Can't seem to find the sweetspot, if there is one. Earlier I tapped the screen a few times to no avail and my girlfriend starting giggling at my frustration and said "Why don't you punch it once?"

I have this issue sometimes, too. I found if you do short but precise taps it will work most of the time. But, if it doesn't work i just use the power button. Sometimes it does take a few taps.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Honestly, this is my only issue/ pet peeve with the phone right now. Sucks that one of the best features works sporadically. Hopefully this is addressed with the first update. Not a deal breaker as much as a pain in the **** sometimes. I have been wondering why more people were not complaining of this.....

For me it seems like if you do the knocks with too quick of a cadence, the more likely it is to not work.

So less like a double click, and more like a literal knock.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I ran into this issue last night. Tapped the screen like I usually do and nothing, pressed the power button, the screen woke up, I slide my finger to unlock and the screen goes dark. Same issue 3 times. Restarted and the same issue. Powered off and on and it seemed to be back to normal. My only issue so far.

I figured out the problem, for some reason its can change the knock on tapping speed and pressure.
    I have a large finger, before I can knock on and off with a quick 2 taps. Now I can only knock off but not on, for some reason my 9 months old son can knock on all the time when he play with the phone, so I tried to copy him, imagine you are trying to pet an ANTS but very slow 2 tap and very lightly, anywhere on the screen it work, look like he play with my phone and got the phone to register the way he tap to turn it on, its frustrating, I couldn't figure out how to set it back to normal.

When knocking on after a period of sleep, It's possible that when the gap between the first and second knock is too short then the software interprets it as one knock(because it needs a certain amount of miliseconds to wake up), so when there is a longer time between knocks the phone is able to register the second knock.
    If that makes sense

I don't think it matters how fast or slow (within reason) you knock off when it's awake
    scheumanrj likes this.

The issue here is, I have to press/tap it very gently, imagine you are not killing an ant with your finger, as if the touchscreen become super sensitive, like I said, 9 month old boy can easily knock on all the time, if hit too hard, or press too hard, don't work, just super light.

Happens to mine when I dont use it for awhile.. No number of taps would wake it up and i have to press the power button.. but it doesnt happen often.. not even from my 8 hour sleep..sometimes it could be 1 hour on my desk and then it just doesnt respond.. not a hassle doe

Thumbs up Re: The Knock Feature not responding ...

you can actually calibrate your sensor.
    -go to settings
    -then general setting
    -gestures
    -then scroll all the way down, you will see sensor
    -click the motion sensor calibration to start calibrating
    that's it. problem solved!

Just tap 3 times when its idle for long

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marky128 View Post
    you can actually calibrate your sensor.
    -go to settings
    -then general setting
    -gestures
    -then scroll all the way down, you will see sensor
    -click the motion sensor calibration to start calibrating
    that's it. problem solved!
    Mine was in device, display, advanced settings, motion sensor calibration.

While it's still not responding the way it used to, it looks like doing two sets of the double taps wakes it up, though there's a big lag after entering the second set before it comes on.