Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default How is sound quality for music

How is the sound quality of music on this device, with it having double the standard bit rate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

Default Re: How is sound quality for music

I personally have not tried it, but someone who is an audiophile i have a hard time discerning v0 mp3 vs flac with highend dac/amp and headphones. I'll say it now, you will not hear much of a diference with normal headphones. You'll need to upgrade through the chain to hear any possible differences.

Good Headphones sound nice on this and the speaker has a warm sound (think more of a v shaped eq curve).

Quote Originally Posted by cordoni View Post
    How is the sound quality of music on this device, with it having double the standard bit rate?

Well, if it helps you appreciate the audio quality a bit more, it's the first phone to offer 24/192 audio playback. So, it could potentially provided higher quality music than most phones on the market today. Whether or not you'll hear the difference, is subjective at best.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    Well, if it helps you appreciate the audio quality a bit more, it's the first phone to offer 24/192 audio playback. So, it could potentially provided higher quality music than most phones on the market today. Whether or not you'll hear the difference, is subjective at best.
    Yes, that is why I ask. As far as hearing the difference, for me it is likely since I can hear detail down to the operating of a piano's pedals in some music.

Just looking for some first hand experience reviews.

"Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

That would depend on the type of music. But again if you're using $5 headphones you won't hear anything from the g2 vs normal audio. It will sound the same. As you go to more resolving headphones and or dac/amp combo's that's where the differences in people's hearing comes in.

How is it via bluetooth to say a Bose or a car stereo?

I have it hardwired to Bose in my car. Compared to the Note 2 it is much much better. Noticeable difference.
    Thanked by:

The only way to experience the 24bit audio is with the proper files such a 24 Bit FLAC. You can down load a sample compilation from https://www.hdtracks.com/ after creating an account. A decent set of cans is a must, but you don't have to spend a ton of $$ to get some. The Creative Aurvana Live! are excellent for the price and JVC harx700 come in even lower, both have good reputations on Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles.

Non of the streaming services are going to take advantage of the 24bit hardware in the phone. It's a bit disappointing that there is no card slot in the phone as 24bit files are quite a bit bigger then the standard MP3 so at this point beyond acquiring the 24bit versions of a few of your favorite albums it's more of a novelty at this point. BTW ripping a CD is still limited to 16bit.

With that all said it's really hard to place your finger on the 24bit sound experience. I'm past 40 so have lost some of my high frequency hearing, but there is something about 24bit quality that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. But it's really hard to point at some specific quality factor that makes it "better". Some folks simply may not be wired to get that out of a higher quality. so YMMV

As far as just playing Google Music streaming or mp3s I would say it's no better or worse then any other phone I've had. Beats Audio is a scam, but the Rezound still had a decent op-amp in it and I would say that this is just as good.

I use Bluetooth bluebuds from jaybird and it's significantly better than my iPhone 5

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Comparing it to my razr, gnex, and iPod I have to say the sound quality was my biggest surprise-feature of the phone. It's noticeably a step above those other devices (with the razr being the worst).

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:

What kind of audio files are you listening to? 16 bit WAV? 24 bit WAV? Mp3? FLAC?