Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
09-17-2013 01:09 AM
49 replies
Like Tree4Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Default (AT&T) Carrier IQ active

Look what I found roaming around kernel wake locks on bettery battery stats. Posted on xda, apparently not on the Verizon G2 just att.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

Default Re: (AT&T) Carrier IQ active

please enlighten me. what does that mean
    Jastow likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

http://gizmodo.com/5864220/what-is-carrier-iq

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

just ran carrier iq detector on my att version and it did in fact detect it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
    just ran carrier iq detector on my att version and it did in fact detect it.
    Im back and forth about returning it, wonderful device hampered by BS like this. and from what Im seeing, no group mms on the AT&T version as well.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    Im back and forth about returning it, wonderful device hampered by BS like this. and from what Im seeing, no group mms on the AT&T version as well.
    well I'm not about to return it over that. I like the phone, plus there are other apps that can do group mms and who knows, maybe an update will come out and address that issue.

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

textra for group mms. The carrier iq really puts a damper on my enthusiasm though.

Probably most new phones will have it. Why return an otherwise great phone over that?

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    Probably most new phones will have it. Why return an otherwise great phone over that?
    no way i'll return it. still a little ticked over it though.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    no way i'll return it. still a little ticked over it though.
    Same thoughts here. I'm a bit ticked off at AT&T about it, but not enough to overlook how great this device is. My main beef with the integration of Carrier IQ is not being given the option to opt out. I like choice when it comes to things like this.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk
    aggie likes this.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

disable by going into settings > general > apps > running > android system. then you'll see IQ service. if you stop this it will be stopped, but will start again if you reboot.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
    disable by going into settings > general > apps > running > android system. then you'll see IQ service. if you stop this it will be stopped, but will start again if you reboot.
    Doesn't work for att

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Doesn't work for att

Edit.... check xda if your rooted and want to disable carrier iq completely

Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,624 Global Posts

I just went back and looked — and did AT&T ever say they were going to stop using Carrier IQ?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I just went back and looked — and did AT&T ever say they were going to stop using Carrier IQ?
    I suppose they never have, but CIQ did vanish for a short while.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Not that I recall. In fact if I remember correctly, AT&T was the carrier that defended its use the most out of the carriers that used it. I had a Sprint SGS2 at the time, and I recall Sprint and/or Samsung backing away from the controversy pretty quickly, and even issued an update that removed CIQ from the device.

I personally have no issue with CIQ in and of itself. I just wish I had the option to opt in or out other than "choose another carrier", a carrier who is likely just using their own form of Carrier IQ heh. I thought AT&T might change their stance a bit after all the Al Franken inquiry business and give users the choice. I thought wrong obviously.

Interestingly, take a guess on what my second highest source of partial wakelocks on my phone is today. Yep, one of the Carrier IQ processes. Is it killing my battery? No, certainly not, but it does wreak havoc on my OCD.
    mount.zed likes this.

Using Nova Launcher you can start an activity under Android System called IQ Agent Settings and open it to see some settings. Logging appears to be disabled on my phone on AT&T.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

with my device rooted I used system tuner and disabled any files associated with carrier iq from running. really helped out battery life too.

Dose this spy on pictures and texts?

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

How do you do this ? I use Nova Prime (the paid version) and I don't see any "activity" anywhere in it's settings ?

Thanks,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by mp2ning View Post
    Using Nova Launcher you can start an activity under Android System called IQ Agent Settings and open it to see some settings. Logging appears to be disabled on my phone on AT&T.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...3-22-58-13.png

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...3-22-58-38.png

Had a discussion with both AT&T and LG about this Carrier IQ issue.

Response from AT&T. You need to speak with LG because they are the ones that put the Android system into the phone.

Response from LG:

11:41 AM Victor: Hello **************. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
    11:42 AM **************: How do I get rid of Carrier IQ on my phone?
    11:43 AM Victor: To verify, are you inquiring about an application that came with the phone?
    11:44 AM **************: Yes. The application that is hard coded into the Android software that can not be disabled or opted out of unless the phone is rooted.
    11:45 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed by default.
    11:46 AM **************: So when is LG going to update the option to opt out of participing in the carrier IQ system? It is not my intention to allow you or at&t to monitor all of my activities simply because I chose the LG G2 as the phone that I wanted....
    11:47 AM Victor: As of this concern, the applications and features that the phone comes with are installed and determined by the carrier of the phone. You can try contacting them to see if they are able to remove it from the phone.
    11:49 AM **************: They told me to contact you for resolution to this problem after I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them.
    11:49 AM **************: This is not an application or feature. This is tracking software.
    11:49 AM Victor: Sorry about that, unfortunately pre-installed applications cannot be removed from the phone by default.
    11:49 AM Victor: I really apologize that you are having this problem.
    11:50 AM **************: It is no problem. I will just return the phone and LG has lost me as a customer for life.
    11:50 AM Victor: I understand.
    11:50 AM Victor: I am sorry to hear about this.
    11:53 AM **************: This is unbelieveable that LG in cahoots with AT&T installed this tracking software that tracks every location that I go, every key stroke that I make, and every contact that I have, including my text messaging with no way to opt of this. Have you guys ever heard of the Constitution????
    11:54 AM Victor: I really apologize for the inconvenience. I can transfer you to a supervisor for further information.
    11:55 AM Notice: Victor transferred ************** to John.
    11:55 AM Notice: John has joined the chat session.
    11:55 AM Notice: Victor has exited the chat session.
    11:55 AM **************: The information that I need is "how to disable Carrier IQ" on my phone.....
    11:56 AM John: Sorry but unfortunately that application cannot be removed
    11:57 AM **************: Too bad. Nice phone but now it is a POS and I will be returning it to AT&T for a different phone. I wonder how come Motorola Moto X that my wife just got with the same carrier does not have Carrier IQ but my phone does...

So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.

So now I have to decide whether to root my phone or return it under the 14 days. I have until Thursday. It is too bad, this is a new phone for me and I was really excited about having a smart phone but I did not realize that "smart phone" meant "no privacy phone", "spyware phone", or "trap every key stroke phone". I really really liked the LG G2.....

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Not sure how it's an LG issue when the verizon version doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by NevetsDrassel View Post
    So there you have it, AT&T denies that it is their issue and LG says "too bad sooo sad". It appears to be an LG issue. If it was an AT&T issue, I am guessing that they would have it installed on all of their new phones. So unless you want to root your phone, you are going to be stuck with Carrier IQ either until AT&T or LG are sued for invasion of privacy under the "wire tap" laws.
    It's not an LG issue. LG has no interest in the data CIQ collects. That's all for the carrier, and you can bet your bottom AT&T requested that LG implement it into the software. As for the reason it's on this phone and not others, one can only speculate. It may have something to do with the relationship between the manufacturer and the carrier and the deal that they make.

Sorry Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fred98TJ View Post
    How do you do this ? I use Nova Prime (the paid version) and I don't see any "activity" anywhere in it's settings ?

Thanks,
    Fred
    Long press on an empty space on one of the Homescreens\ Shortcut\ Activities. Long list of activities there, just look for Android System and there will be IQ Agent Settings. This will create a shortcut icon on the launcher for that Activity. Press the icon as if it was any other app on your phone and IQ Agent Settings will launch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast