video recording quality is poor

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I recorded a concert tonight and it was very distorted. .. the HTC one did a much better job of this. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Posted via Android Central App

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes... HTC one, iPhone, and Nokia do well at concerts. I was hoping to record good sounding video

Posted via Android Central App

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried turning off the audio zoom.
It was mentioned in review (pocketnow I think) that the audio zoom led to a hissing sound in the audio.

Note: I do not have this phone.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Some phones have a specialized mic that is less prone to distortion at concerts. I remember something about a patent dispute with some company using them or something...Not many different models have it.

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Ya so far only downside is the recording of concerts, but I read the audio zoom takes out a lot of distortion, I turned my big Jambox up pretty loud and had the phone next to it and it sounded good! Not as good as say the ONE or Nokia 1020, but it was still very good. Only time will tell

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
pretty much I think the gain is set too high on the recording end so it distorts and tries to cancel out noise and you get a washy underwater sound. the htc rezound did the exact same thing. it was horrible. the dna, the s3, the s4, the nexus did it fine.. and now the g2 sounds like crap. it sucks and is annoying bah

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had no audio issues in video, but then again I haven't recorded any concerts. To be honest, I wouldn't expect sound quality to match a properly set up mike system.

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I've had no audio issues in video, but then again I haven't recorded any concerts. To be honest, I wouldn't expect sound quality to match a properly set up mike system.

I guess my point is that I've confirmed that mic cannot handle concerts... and I wasn't even close to the stage (lawn seats). There's got to be an app or settings somewhere that can turn the sensitivity way down so that it sounds good. It blows my mind that this is an issue when manufacturers put so much time and money into other parts of the phone. Most average Joe consumers record video & take pictures and when they get uploaded to YouTube or Facebook, they look & sound like garbage.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well keep in mind that most people probably don't record concerts and thus won't run into this issue. Yes, I know I've seen plenty of clips of these concerts and frankly, almost all sound like ****. I think the only one I can recall that sounded decent was one recorded with the HTC One. All the videos I've shot had very good audio. However the peaks at an ear-splitting concert are an entirely different animal.

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Well keep in mind that most people probably don't record concerts and thus won't run into this issue. Yes, I know I've seen plenty of clips of these concerts and frankly, almost all sound like ****. I think the only one I can recall that sounded decent was one recorded with the HTC One. All the videos I've shot had very good audio. However the peaks at an ear-splitting concert are an entirely different animal.

The HTC One and Nokia 1020 are great for shows!! I was actually more impressed with the HTC One! The quality was clear as day, but the files are very large, especially on the 1020!

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess my point is that I've confirmed that mic cannot handle concerts... and I wasn't even close to the stage (lawn seats). There's got to be an app or settings somewhere that can turn the sensitivity way down so that it sounds good. It blows my mind that this is an issue when manufacturers put so much time and money into other parts of the phone. Most average Joe consumers record video & take pictures and when they get uploaded to YouTube or Facebook, they look & sound like garbage.
You have to realize that this "weakness" of the G2 blows your mind because it's obviously a feature that you rely on. Not everyone records concerts. Take the HTC One for example. Some folk had big issues with the placement of the power button. For some that was a huge issue, for others not so much. It just depends on what is necessary for you. Other people's opinions vary. The S4's plastic build. Some were blown away that it was made of "cheap" plastic.
My point is, no device is going to be everything to everybody. Device manufacturers have to decide what features to concentrate on to the detriment of others.
My big issue is with the G2 is the feel of the plastic rear cover. I absolutely despise the feel of it and the unsightliness of the smudges. But I enjoy this G2 so much that I did what I have never done in the 12 years that I've had mobile devices: I bought a case. Others might have decided to return the G2.
You have to decide what you need in a device and what is a deal breaker. You mentioned two devices on your post that perform better for recording concerts. You might have already found the cure to what ails you.

FrankA1

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to clean up the audio post recording?

If your source audio (your recording) is noisy / distorted, you aren't easily going to improve that without audio specific software and knowledge of how to use it (I work with this stuff), as well audio joined at the hip with video (frame rate lock) is a bit more involved than even usual straight audio clean-up work.

If you had a pretty robust video editing program like Camtasia you could load the video (with audio) file onto a PC and try and enhance the audio, but it's going to take a tool like that (and knowledge or willingness to go through some learning curve) to fix it. How much will it be improved, based on your description I'd say "just somewhat". With a better source file you could do more, obviously. Good Luck.

Frank in Florida

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lots of the sample videos I have seen on youtube have that "underwater" audio effect in them. i find it a bit disconcerting. Anyone know if this is due to the audio zooming? And can therefore be corrected by disabling the audio zooming. Are the people taking the video covering one of the mics thereby introducing the echo-y underwater sound?.

Here's an example:
LG G2 1080p - YouTube

Now compare that to exactly the same scenario with the Z1:
Sony Xperia Z1 1080p - YouTube

Please note: I am not trolling or hating on the G2. I really like this phone and want to buy it.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's possible it's the zoom mike, but recorded correctly you shouldn't hear that effect at all. In fact the audio is actually pretty good.

But it's funny how we see different things and it may be because I do a lot of video work, but in your comparison it's clear that the colors on the G2 are superior as the result of being more neutral. The Sony has a decided reddish (overly warm) hue to it. It makes me think that the auto white balance of the Sony isn't as good.

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i think it might be the 2nd/3rd noise cancelling mic that is making that "underwater" effect. one (of many) thing i loved about my one was its audio. it was pretty good in all situations.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
^ If that's the case, it might indicate the Verizon model would have better audio using the camcorder function. I haven't heard that kind of sound in my recordings with my Verizon G2. It's an interesting point.

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got done recording some 1080p 60 fps videos of my kids @ the playground... I'm shocked at the video quality I got from this phone.. Really really nice. The audio was OK, but I haven't played the vids through my ht system on my plasma yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress