Wireless Charging VS Wired

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are there any advantages for wireless charging? I'm considering purchasing one but can't see the necessity. With my device plugged in with a wired charger I have the convenience of using the phone while it charges, i.e making calls. With a charging pad the device obviously can only charge while lying on the base.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Convenience as in coming home or leaving and just putting down or picking up the phone without having to deal with a cable. Not trying to sell you on it or anything. If you don't want it don't buy it lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Convenience as in coming home or leaving and just putting down or picking up the phone without having to deal with a cable. Not trying to sell you on it or anything. If you don't want it don't buy it lol

I'm well aware of my purchasing freedoms.
This wireless charging is new to me so I'm interested in the advantages and disadvantages of base charging VS wired charging as seen by others who might have used wireless charging.
Just wanted to get some thoughts.
Thank you for yours.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly outside of the ease of just throwing your phone on something vs having to pick up the wire and plug out in I think the only benefit is that it's "cool."

fryguy1

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I use wireless on my TouchPad mostly because the USB port on these break easily. I can say it is more convenient and my wife never plugged the USB all the way in or sometime upside down. Charging for the TouchPad is slower using wireless especially through a case. Not sure how it will be for this phone though. I also remember for the TouchPad that you had to make sure there was no metal between the charger and the TouchPad so make sure no metal in your case. I would guess it would apply here too.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I was concerned that a case would slow it down. I guess it depends on the thickness and material of the case.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly outside of the ease of just throwing your phone on something vs having to pick up the wire and plug out in I think the only benefit is that it's "cool."

That makes a lot of sense. I think if you use a bluetooth unit, you could talk while the phone charges on the pad. If you don't have a bluetooth then picking up the phone from the base shuts off the charging whereas having a wired connection provides the convenience of talking on the phone while it charges, if you don't use bluetooth devices.
My Verizon store has a charging pad on sale so I'm curious. I've never used one.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was concerned that a case would slow it down. I guess it depends on the thickness and material of the case.
The rep at my Verizon store demoed a G2 with a silicone case on while charging on a pad. I'm concerned about the charging speed as well with the case.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the wireless capability on my droid DNA.... It's great for overnight charging, I still carry a cord for work, it saves at least50% of wear on your port. The Nokia dt900 is what I'm using. I would be on the HTC one if it had wireless but it doesn't so no deal, mine charges thru my cruzerlite case with no issues. Hth....josh

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the wireless capability on my droid DNA.... It's great for overnight charging, I still carry a cord for work, it saves at least50% of wear on your port. The Nokia dt900 is what I'm using. I would be on the HTC one if it had wireless but it doesn't so no deal, mine charges thru my cruzerlite case with no issues. Hth....josh

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
So you actually require wireless charging on your devices.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second phone with wireless charging. I don't consider it a necessity, but it is convenient. I like setting it on the charger and not fooling with a cable. Minor I know, but I like it.

drhill

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
After buying 4 LG pads (2 for the car) I require wireless charging which is why I don't have a Moto X. Charging rate depends on your phone. My wife's S3 has fast charge enabled via lean kernel and when I had the Palm Pre hack on my GNex I would get charging rates about (or equal) to usb. You just have to make sure you have a the proper plug, cable, and pad as well as software.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I'd just as well have the thinner ATT style profile housing and let the wireless charging go, especially since reports are that it takes longer to charge. At least I could get a decent case by now.

Caiel Dela Cruz

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

I have sony z2 broken usb port but im using the dock feature to charge it.... (I consider it under wired) last week I bought a wireless charger and reciever to try it.
I being concerned on the sudden heat on both charging pad and phone it feels like im playing pokemon go or injustice on my phone...
Though its chrging Im not satisfied on the outcome.. Still Waiting for further improvement
(Note I also tried it on other phone still the outcome is the same)
Its not on the choice on buying it or not, i really loved the evolution of technology, but also I want it to be safe. A wired s7 explode on Asia. And I do belive the brain at the back of that device really is a proffesional considering the name of its brand....How much more this new item??