What's up with the mediocre reviews for the G2?

AstroStrat89

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
This is a bit of a generalization, and there are plenty of positive reviews but it seems to be a common theme among the reviews I've been reading. It goes something like this "Awesome Screen!, Awesome Battery Life!,Awesome Camera! but meh, it's an OK phone." It's like they praise all the parts, but the whole is somehow lesser. Most of the negatives I read are UI issues that can be customized. If your notification is overwhelming then turn some off. And I do realize it doesn't mean a hill of beans if I like the phone, but the only reason to go with an S4 at this point is the SD card, if you really don't like the rear button layout, or maybe the removable battery. It's almost a self fulling prophecy that the LG is living in the shadow of Apple and Samsung when you point that out in the review. I want the G2 to be successful just so that it will be well supported later.

I know, this post is useless, but what are forums for other then to rant?

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
At least to me, it felt like a cheaper s4. I loved the button layout, screen was great, battery was great but as a whole I just didn't like it. Went with the HTC one and haven't looked back. There is definitely a lot to like about it though

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

FutureRoscoe

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I've seen lots of positive reviews but man oh maaaaan.... Gizmodo haaaates this phone. Such a bizarre review. He just ragged on it the whole time.

I, for one, didn't agree with his opinions.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Living in Los Angeles I am definitely a little biased when it comes to the whole no expandable storage thing... Because we have really good data speeds literally wherever we are and that's led me to essentially live in the cloud and stream everything. But, to a lot of people, local storage is still very much a thing since they don't have reliable internet everywhere. Like I said, I live in the cloud so expandable storage isn't necessary for me, but it's not like that for everyone which is why the S4 has so much appeal. I don't get it, but it does...

The G2 really seems like a perfect device albeit from admittedly a heavy UI, but I mean... come on it's not THAT bad.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am looking forward to checking out the phone. I have had both the HTC One and the S4 and found things with both that disappoint me. If I could have combined the best features of both phones it would have been a winner. I am hoping the G2 hits the sweet spot.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think people see how similar the UI looks to touchwiz and automatically assume the phone will be a slow, cheap knockoff... Even though that's completely far from the truth. The UI and software is pretty heavy and in your face, but it runs quicker than any phone I've owned recently, or currently own (One, N4, S3, Z10).
Definitely gonna go down as the most underrated device of the year I think.

Posted via Android Central App

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've seen lots of positive reviews but man oh maaaaan.... Gizmodo haaaates this phone. Such a bizarre review. He just ragged on it the whole time.

I, for one, didn't agree with his opinions.

Quite possibly the most bizarre review I've read for any piece of electronics I'm familiar with. The irony? He talks about the phone being out of touch...sorry, the REVIEWER is out of touch! Sorry Mr. Rose, but that's the God's honest truth. The only thing I can think of is that he must have been bullied as a kid by the CEO of LG.

He didn't quite figure the phone out did he?
* He could have changed the alarm tone, but instead he decided he'd dedicate a video and a paragraph to the default alarm 'song'. Thiis is the only phone that comes with a lousy default tone? Really?
* The buttons on the back are a 'bad design'. Me thinks that's a subjective evaluation that would have been better ended with something like 'you decide if it works for you'.
* The 'overall look' is that of a 'early 2000 features phone? Really? Did he say that of the Samsung that he called looking almost the same? Nah. The guy was bullied by someone at LG when he was a kid
* Knock knock worked 1/3 of the time? Really? I don't think anyone has reported results that bad...not even the worst report I've read from owners here.
* The keyboard made auto corrections that made no sense? I've used it and haven't found that at all. Maybe not the best keyboard, but as bad as he says? Really?
* The phone caused his MacBook to crash? Maybe it was your MacBook that was the issue, Mr. Objective Reviewer.
* Battery life was 'reasonable'? Reaching for the charger by 7pm with 'heavier use'? It was at this point that I left the review because frankly, the review had ZERO credibility IMO.

This is why you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt...in this case about 3 lbs of salt will do. I made a note to myself to skip any reviews anywhere by this guy, Brent Rose. He may think the G2 is a joke, but frankly I find his reviews a joke.

The unfortunate thing is that some unsuspecting readers will read his garbage and take it seriously, removing this great phone from consideration. Wouldn't that be a shame?

One last thing Mr. Rose. Check out the reviews on something like Verizonwireless. That G2 is about the highest rated phone by owners I've seen to date. But I guess we're all crazy and in love with an outdated, poorly designed phone with an OK battery. Geesh.

Venting over, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha! The G2 caused his Mac to crash...wow...

This is probably my most anticipated phone of the year - even above the One. I haven't had the opportunity to use it, or even hold it, but I think it looks great. I love that LG went with the onscreen buttons. I think working closely with Google has really opened their eyes as a smartphone maker and has pushed them to step up their game.

There are going to be haters and there will be genuinely negative reviews. LG still has overcome some of the crap they dished out before the OG. But again, I think they have a chance at catching up with Samsung. At least they seem to be trying.

Personally, I will be purchasing the G2 and will be my daily driver...at least until the Nexus 5 comes out. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Quite possibly the most bizarre review I've read for any piece of electronics I'm familiar with. The irony? He talks about the phone being out of touch...sorry, the REVIEWER is out of touch! Sorry Mr. Rose, but that's the God's honest truth. The only thing I can think of is that he must have been bullied as a kid by the CEO of LG.

He didn't quite figure the phone out did he?
* He could have changed the alarm tone, but instead he decided he'd dedicate a video and a paragraph to the default alarm 'song'. Thiis is the only phone that comes with a lousy default tone? Really?
* The buttons on the back are a 'bad design'. Me thinks that's a subjective evaluation that would have been better ended with something like 'you decide if it works for you'.
* The 'overall look' is that of a 'early 2000 features phone? Really? Did he say that of the Samsung that he called looking almost the same? Nah. The guy was bullied by someone at LG when he was a kid
* Knock knock worked 1/3 of the time? Really? I don't think anyone has reported results that bad...not even the worst report I've read from owners here.
* The keyboard made auto corrections that made no sense? I've used it and haven't found that at all. Maybe not the best keyboard, but as bad as he says? Really?
* The phone caused his MacBook to crash? Maybe it was your MacBook that was the issue, Mr. Objective Reviewer.
* Battery life was 'reasonable'? Reaching for the charger by 7pm with 'heavier use'? It was at this point that I left the review because frankly, the review had ZERO credibility IMO.

This is why you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt...in this case about 3 lbs of salt will do. I made a note to myself to skip any reviews anywhere by this guy, Brent Rose. He may think the G2 is a joke, but frankly I find his reviews a joke.

The unfortunate thing is that some unsuspecting readers will read his garbage and take it seriously, removing this great phone from consideration. Wouldn't that be a shame?

One last thing Mr. Rose. Check out the reviews on something like Verizonwireless. That G2 is about the highest rated phone by owners I've seen to date. But I guess we're all crazy and in love with an outdated, poorly designed phone with an OK battery. Geesh.

Venting over, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

you sure you weren't the one bullied by Mr Rose? :)

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
you sure you weren't the one bullied by Mr Rose? :)

Nah, not really. But seriously, reviews like these that are simply factually incorrect in a number of instances, show sloppiness by the reviewer and seem to indicate some predisposition against LG, are a disservice to the reader. Many people that read these reviews have no clue about the product they're reading about and tend to believe the reviewer. When you see how diametrically opposed his review is to the majority of other reviews, it certainly puts his as an extreme outlier. You have to wonder why?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it really. Have device reviewers simply become out of touch with what people want? Maybe they've handled so many devices over the past couple of years that they've become a bit jaded.

Or maybe hardware has been moving so fast that it's been written off since the next big breakthrough is a few short months away. The Android Police review today basically said "nice phone, good hardware, software sucks, yawn".

Well whatever. I'm beyond pleased with my G2 and no review is going to change that.

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but I want more positive reviews so more people buy the phone, and hopefully more support from LG and developers.

Either way, I'm super happy with it.
Positive reviews don't guarantee sales or popularity. Look at HTC One. The reviews don't get better than that across the board. Now take a look at its income statement.
People want to see good reviews in order to help justify their purchase. Good reviews from other people means I made the right choice. My own opinion be damned. This device is popular so I know I'll look cool carrying it even though I hate how it feels in my hand.

brewkelyn

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The Pocket Now video review of this phone drove me nuts for the same reason as OP. I like Phone Dog's though. Aaron is doing a 30 day challenge with the G2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
This phone really gets no love in reviews, only user forums. Once I bought this I was so impressed with it compared to the S4. I truly feel that I am either nuts for thinking this phone is really that good or there is some sort of commercial conspiracy against it. I also felt that all the critical acclaim for the HTC One was a conspiracy of reviewers trying to create an interest in an android war for more traffic to their sites. So I may be a bit crazy.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I for one think this phone is actually very appealing. It's not yet available in my country, but I am definitely keeping and eye on it. The problem for me, though, is that I have seen not much of an effort from LG to keep the original Optimus g up to date with android versions, and I fear it will be the same story with the G2.

If on top of that there is the nexus 5 with similar specs and half the price, then it is actually difficult to push for this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Gizmodo is just trying to win Apple back so they start inviting them back to their announcements. So they'll denounce every phone in their path until that happens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2