Lag while taking pics and quick drain battery

joeynox

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello I received my G2 last night and tinkered with it for around 10 minutes . I'm new to android coming over from wp8 which I love (nokia920). I've had a horrific experience with Nokia 920's even though I love the OS and phone. Since Nov 2012 I've been through 6 920' due to firmware screwing up the phones and general defects that caused issues. After ******** to att they offered me any android phone I wanted for $50. I chose the g2. I've read great things about the camera and battery but after a measly 10 minutes with the phone I'm not impressed. I turned the phone on it was at 95% all I did was turn off GPS,NFC,something else , took 2 pictures and scrolled through the settings a bit and the phone was at 87%. Is this normal for a new phone? Also when panning back and fourth while taking a picture there is alot of lag in live view of the screen. I'm coming from the Nokia 920 where everything is real time, no lag and this is just horrible. I didn't delve into the settings so its possible its just some thing I have to turn off but is there noticeable lag on the live view screen while taking a pic?

Also since I'm new to android what should I do yo maximize my battery life which is the second reason why I chose this phone? I'm currently on the Nokia because I need to import all my stuff into the LG

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. the battery % is not linear and not really 100% accurate - it's a rough estimate - so don't get too fixated and obsessed on the exact percentages.
2. give your device/battery a few charge cycles to get calibrated and things should get a little better.
3. camera shots with flash and HD consume a lot of battery.
4. can't speak to the lag but the G2 from what i've read has challenging UI bloat.
5. i would seriously consider returning it and get the Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy 2 or 3.
6. below are some battery tips -

i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services - GTalk, G+, Google Now, Messenger, etc. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Google CURRENTS, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

Last edited:

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Lag may be due to a slower shutter speed setting in low light. You should not see any lag when panning in good light. I'd also dismiss battery life at this early a stage. Battery life is certainly not something that should be an issue with a properly functioning G2, even with stock settings. Many people have come from an S4 to a G2 and virtually everyone I've seen likes it better. So I'd disagree with Gekko's advice.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Lag may be due to a slower shutter speed setting in low light. You should not see any lag when panning in good light. I'd also dismiss battery life at this early a stage. Battery life is certainly not something that should be an issue with a properly functioning G2, even with stock settings. Many people have come from an S4 to a G2 and virtually everyone I've seen likes it better. So I'd disagree with Gekko's advice.

I agree with some of his tips though. I had great battery life, then it got bad. I did a factory reset and turned off a bunch of stuff. Battery is great. Yesterday was 14hr 4hr screen time with 50% left.

joeynox

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I still haven't set it up because i just worked 18hrs but I was playing around with it again and in 7 minutes u dropped 9% on my battery and it said I had 3hours remaining?? All I've been doing was looking through settings trying to turn stuff off. Also the back by the buttons seems to be getting warm

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Really? Why pay for a phone that you have to turn all the features off and display down to minimum? No thanks. Just buy a few chargers and enjoy your phone. Sheesh....

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You certainly do not need to turn everything off on this phone to get amazing battery life. I do tend to be a battery hawk, and as such, I don't load my phone up with things or run features that I rarely use. Attached are screenshots of my most recent time off the charger, which definitely falls into the "light usage" category. However, even with light usage, I had a bit over 5 hours of screen on time over the course of 2 days off the charger.

Here is a summary of how I run my phone:

- Screen brightness is set to Auto with a 70% baseline
- GPS off unless I need it for maps
- Wifi on when a network is available (home and work mainly)
- Wifi & mobile network location is on
- Bluetooth is always on (mostly because I'm too lazy to toggle it)
- Weather widget on home screen but deleted location based City and only run a manual city location. Updates every 3 hours.
- One email exchange account set to MANUAL. Nothing is pushing or syncing for this account (which is all I personally need).
- Google sync always on and I let Apps access my location
- I do not allow any websites access to my location in my browser. Further, I cleared location access in my browser settings and unchecked Enable location.
- In Maps I turned off Location Reporting and Location History
- I do not use Google Now. I haven't even activated it. This is a personal thing of course. I don't find it to be particularly valuable to me. Your mileage may vary.
- I'm careful with Apps I install that regularly run in the background, use location services and are known to be battery hogs. For example, I use the Facebook mobile website rather than the App.

Everyone's needs are different, so your mileage may vary. The key to battery drain is understanding the issue. Apps like GSam, Wakelock Detector and Better Battery Stats can help identify problem Apps and processes. Also, be aware of your signal strength. Low signal can cause your phone to run harder, and as a result, hotter (sometimes). Settings can also get hung and cause issues. If you're experiencing weird battery drain, shut the phone down, charge it to 100%, then turn it on and monitor drain. Sometimes a simple reboot can clear issues. When all else fails, consider a factory reset and starting over.

The attached shots include pretty basic usage. A little bit of talk time, roughly 5 hours of web browsing, Tapatalk and texts, and about 4 hours of playing audio to my car via Bluetooth.

Screenshot_2013-09-27-09-06-54.jpgScreenshot_2013-09-27-09-07-05.jpg

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
did you read my post? "I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS"

this means that i personally am giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features. there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc. get it?

you find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not deteriorate my experience.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey