Wondering how this would work with Vzn network extender

delmbra79

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm still in the 14-day trial period. Loving the phone, but we are in a low signal area in our house so we have some trouble with calls at times. Sometimes I go out on the porch to help the signal but that doesn't work great when winter comes. A Verizon rep yesterday talked about using a network extender. When I researched online, it sounds like this is for 3G because that is what calls/texts are on and 4G is for data. I don't care if I have 4G. I just want a good 3G signal for my calls and I'd be thrilled.

People with the extenders were mentioning they had to toggle phones to 3G when they got home to make them work correctly with extender or it kept trying to use the weaker 4G signal and as is the case with me now, running down the battery excessively while searching for strong signal.

I see there is no easy way to toggle 4G off on the G2. On my Note 2, I used Advanced Signal Status but it doesn't look like the same options on the G2. When I opened the app, one screen said it didn't work on my phone. I'd have to search for another toggle solution. I need to put more time in searching for that.

Just wondering if this all seems worth it...would I have a good experience with an extender and get great calls? I love it when I'm in an area with strong signal. The phone is great! I need to decide if I'm keeping it before my 14 days are up. The iPhone has been the only phone that truly works really well in our house for calls. I don't want to have to go back to that, but I will survive if I do. Nothing against them, but I enjoy Android more. I'm the only one in the house without an iPhone and I'd like to keep it that way. :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
3G and 4G are both for data (4G is just faster). Calls and texts go over the regular cell network.

I don't have any experience with an extender. Honestly not that familiar with it at all.

delmbra79

May 4, 2013
Visit site
What I am hoping is that if I got the extender, my phone would be picking up that stronger 3G signal and switch to that automatically when I'm in that range instead of trying to get the struggling 4G. I did the GSAM battery monitor and yesterday when I checked, my phone spent over 70% of the day in the low zone, number 1. I just feel like I need a boost of some sort to get my full potential.

electriclarryland

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The way the Network Extender works is that it routes your incoming and outgoing calls over your existing broadband network. To do it's job, you need to have an internet connection through an existing provider, in my case AT&T U-verse, but it can be through a cable, DSL, or T1 source. It is connected through an ethernet cable to your modem, and also needs to be in the vicinity of a window to receive a GPS signal.

It has worked great for me for over five years, since I live in a pocket with a low signal area. And though I actually have a decent 4G signal where I live, when I am home I use my WiFi connection, which overrides the phone seeking a 3G or 4G signal. It has been a great solution for me, with the added benefit that any phone calls placed or received through the Network Extender do not count towards my monthly minutes. There is no setup for the phone either, as any Verizon cell phone will automatically connect through the unit (including any neighbors with Verizon service). But if you don't have another internet source to connect to, it won't work for you.