Your thoughts on this review plz

brewkelyn

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...-gets-caught-living-in-the-shadows-of-giants/

This review focuses on some of the software quirks of the G2 and I was hoping those of you who own the phone can verify what it says or just share your thoughts on it. Particularly about the text reformatting bit (G2 vs Nex 4 as they illustrate it) and the menu overflow button being hidden due to their nav bar already having a menu button. I'm not sure how I feel about it myself.

EDIT: The number keypad too :-/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
“This review focuses on some of the software quirks of the G2 and I was hoping those of you who own the phone can verify what it says or just share your thoughts on it.”

2013 | Ars Technica

“Particularly about the text reformatting bit (G2 vs Nex 4 as they illustrate it)”

Yes, the text formatting is different in the LG G2 from stock Android as illustrated in the image of the Nexus 4. With the G2 you can select seven (7) different fonts and six (6) different font sizes. The selection you choose does have an impact on how they are rendered in different areas. I really don’t see this as an issue, either in operability or user experience. Just my opinion though.

“and the menu overflow button being hidden due to their nav bar already having a menu button.”

Personally, I prefer having a dedicated Menu button because it is always in the same place. All too many times I have had to search around apps looking for the settings option. It is far from universally applied across all apps. Just ask anyone who has an Htc One running JB 4.1.2 how they feel about having a Menu button option, yes I have one and I know about this. Those in Htc One circles call it the “dreaded black bar”. Htc has updated software to allow for long pressing the Home button to access Menu options. Samsung’s Galaxy phones also have a dedicated menu button.

“EDIT: The number keypad too :-/
Last edited by brewkelyn; Today at 12:09 AM.”

I could not replicate this issue. I tried several websites that had dedicated fields for numbers and on each occurrence the standard keyboard opened giving full functionality. I never had an occurrence where a number keypad opened as illustrated. Maybe that is unique to Google Wallet where the author of the article used it, I don’t know, as I don’t use Google Wallet. Perhaps someone else can offer a better perspective on this.

Now for my thoughts on the article;

Authors have the liberty of writing anyway they choose. However, when I read reviews, those that take an objective view of an item and report their findings with neutrality based on fact are the ones that I find credible and worth noting. Those that have an agenda expressed though their words so obliviously slanted by their very own likes and dislikes tend to take on a biased subjective point of view that lessens credibility and believability for me.

In this particular article it is clear to me the author prefers vanilla Android and apparently anything else ruins it for him because it’s different. He starts off slamming on LG by saying they lack the negotiating power of Apple and Samsung, is this fact or fiction? At several points he describes the G2 with terms like, low-quality back, crazy button placement, watered down Verizon version, describes the software as being the cheesiest, bedazzled and overwrought, full of junk, slathered in skeuomorphic insanity, wonky font rendering, insane skin additions, Samsung clone, bit of a mess, poor app selector and stuck between the two biggest forces in smartphones (I’m guessing that he is referring to Google Nexus and Samsung here based on the context). Once you take out all these clearly biased and subjective comments and the derogatory adjectives, you can get to his actual findings.

In the end he writes;

The Good
• KnockOn. Double tapping to wake your phone completely changes the way you use it – Objective - Yes, it does
• A beautiful 5.2 inch, 1080p IPS LCD - Objective – Yes it is
• Minimal bezels – Objective – Yes they are
• Big-phone battery life – Objective – Yes it last a long time
• It's really fast – Objective - Yes it is fast

The Bad
• All of LG's software design - Subjective
• A plasticky back that feels cheap and greasy - Subjective
• A Menu button. This hides all the overflow menus you should normally see
Objective – Yes it does Subjective – as to “normally” (not on all phones)
• A huge amount of unremovable notification clutter
Objective – but inaccurate - some can be removed (Qslide apps)
• The broken font rendering, keyboard, and app selection menu
Subjective as to broken - Objective as to different
• You can buy nearly the same thing from Samsung with a removable battery and MicroSD slot - Subjective

The Ugly
The Verizon version looks and feels like a cheap knockoff of the original version
Subjective

Okay my rant is over. Personally, it is the best phone for me and I have owned more than a few here lately trying to find the one single phone that I can be happy with and the G2 is it.

brewkelyn

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the number keypad. I found it hard to believe it was dysfunctional as he showed it to be.

As far as the menu key goes, on my GNex I added a menu key to my nav bar for easy reach so I'm already used to that. But I'm also used to seeing the overflow button.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The number keypad is easy to fix. Just buy Swiftkey and replace the LG keyboard. It's better than the stock Google keyboard, or Samsung's, or pretty much every other keyboard anyway. If you don't want to pay a few bucks for the best keyboard, the Google keyboard is downloadable for free.

brewkelyn

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The number keypad is easy to fix. Just buy Swiftkey and replace the LG keyboard. It's better than the stock Google keyboard, or Samsung's, or pretty much every other keyboard anyway. If you don't want to pay a few bucks for the best keyboard, the Google keyboard is downloadable for free.

Yeah, I use SwiftKey on my phone and tab but I like the idea of a dedicated number row so will give LG's kb a go at first.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
First of all when reading the review you can tell some stuff the guy just doesn't know. For one the back and buttons on the Verizon version. Verizon added wireless charging and that is why the buttons are smaller (have seen it with the back off and they had no choice), 2nd it talked about the Verizon speakers being different than the other versions. This too is wrong, all G2s only have one speaker on the bottom, so on AT&T and international versions the second speaker screen is not for a speaker but just a mic. And lastly about the Verizon version the notification pull down does not include the volume and brightness scale, so minus them and turning off QSlide all you have is the toggle row on top. This clears up a lot of space. So when you add wireless charging and less clutter in the pull down notifaction some people think it is a better version.

As far as software, yes you can tell this guy just likes stock Android. I came from stock when I got the G2 and have had no problem using it at all. I mean the guy complains about the notification sound even though you can change it? Isn't Android all about changing what you want to begin with? Anyway like I said I came from stock Android and using this UI has not bothered me at all! I used the LG keyboard a couple days just to try it and it isn't bad at all, in fact I like the numbers on the top row. But I went back to using Swift Key because I like it so much. The home screen buttons with the menu instead of multitasking I was worried about, but it's not a problem. Got used to the long press home for multitasking and the rest works the same (Google Now). The menu button in apps took just a couple times to get used too also, but it really is no big deal.

I love the phone, everybody calls the UI a Touchwiz knock off which turns people away but the bad thing about Touchwiz is lag and this phone has none. So if it is a copy then they made it much better! And the screen is just awesome, I almost rather watch a show on it than my 60in HDTV because it looks so good!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I love the phone, everybody calls the UI a Touchwiz knock off which turns people away but the bad thing about Touchwiz is lag and this phone has none. So if it is a copy then they made it much better! And the screen is just awesome, I almost rather watch a show on it than my 60in HDTV because it looks so good!

The current version of the S4 software doesn't lag either.....

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I missed someone already pointing out you can remove the dedicated numbers on the LH keyboard on settings.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03