Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kkel19
  • 1 Post By KayIslandDrunk
  • 1 Post By DestinedtoGame
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it fair to call G2 a 5.2 in screen when home key buttons take up room?

Just got device and wondering...

May go back to Samsung S4, Galaxy Mega...
    Or wait for Note 3...

Each one has its own perks, but none are perfect...

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Is it fair to call G2 a 5.2 in screen when home key buttons take up room?

Exactly what I was thinking, not sure how much the software buttons take up. I'd say there's about 5 of usable screen but for watching videos and looking at pictures the buttons go away
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is it fair to call G2 a 5.2 in screen when home key buttons take up room?

They don't go away while on the net, though

rooted mine and use autohide keys..neverlooked back. its a 5.2 to me now!
    tondagossa likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

I just kinda think of it as a 5" usable display. Its still nice and big.

from my Sony XTZ
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I just kinda think of it as a 5" usable display. Its still nice and big.

from my Sony XTZ
    Compared to an S4 which has a full 5 inch screen, the G2's is smaller when accounting for the softkeys

Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Really? It can't be by much. Besides, I've heard that the G2's screen is just as good, if not better, than the HTC One's which means it leaves my S4's in the dust.

from my Sony XTZ

Yes because its still 5.2 inches of digitizer? Lol just saying.

Sent from where the wild things are.

Yes. Otherwise you'd need to discount the notification bar as well (for all phones)

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.
    moosc likes this.

Well there are options for those willing to root and make some changes to their device, such as the Autohide Softkeys App mentioned above, or this nifty little mod someone recently whipped up ... [MOD] Smaller navigation bar [AT&T-only] - xda-developers

If not, to each their own. I'm perfectly happy with the screen size and soft keys and don't feel cheated at all.

Global Posts
    13,381 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Manufacturers will always market what they believe to be the true screen size. It's subjective and that's their take on how they feel the device should be marketed as. It's a good think options are available to make the on screen keys go away.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Manufacturers will always market what they believe to be the true screen size. It's subjective and that's their take on how they feel the device should be marketed as. It's a good think options are available to make the on screen keys go away.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes indeed so you can actually have ALL of the gorgeous screen.

The keys go away with full size screen YouTube and Games... not sure when else this would be an issue.
    KayIslandDrunk likes this.

I use ADW launcher and just choose no app dock. I have to double tap the notification bar to turn the screen off but it becomes second nature pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinedtoGame View Post
    The keys go away with full size screen YouTube and Games... not sure when else this would be an issue.
    What games are you talking about? All the videos online with G2 gaming = keys taking up space on the screen.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

root your device then you can have small home keys, that's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyEvoAce View Post
    What games are you talking about? All the videos online with G2 gaming = keys taking up space on the screen.
    I Need a Hero, Rainbow Unicorn Attack 2, Reaper, etc