Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Photo quality degraded after edit

I tried to straighten a sunset photo I took and noticed that the post edit picture was degraded a great deal to the extent it was unusable as a wallpaper. Only edit I did was a slight straightening of image.

Am I missing a setting? Can someone try this?

I'm pretty sure this was not the case when I had the S4.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Photo quality degraded after edit

It will degrade the quality to some degree, but how much depends on how radical the crop and the resolution of your sensor.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar72 View Post
    It will degrade the quality to some degree, but how much depends on how radical the crop and the resolution of your sensor.
    I understand this but this was hardly a crop, just a very minor tilt. Its as if it took the full resolution and converted it to mms.

Please try and tilt an image ever so slightly and save.

What editor did you use ? Try cropping/editing the original picture again with Photobucket. I've never had a problem with them.

Using the built in editor it definitely compresses and resizes. My image went from 3mb to 237kb.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyview View Post
    Using the built in editor it definitely compresses and resizes. My image went from 3mb to 237kb.
    Yes I used stock editor as it is convenient to use right from gallery. It seems silly to have to use a 3rd party app for some tweaks. Anybody have any clue why it is compressing file or if I may be missing a setting somewhere.

I noticed that too with stock editor, looked for options in the settings but couldn't find any. I reported this in the picture thread last week. I wish it didn't do that but it does.

Sounds like a fail stock image editor. That's too bad. I used to use a pretty cool free Gallery App called QuickPic. I never used its photo editing features, but it may have what you need, and you may like the gallery better than the stock LG gallery. It would be a win win!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill View Post
    Sounds like a fail stock image editor. That's too bad. I used to use a pretty cool free Gallery App called QuickPic. I never used its photo editing features, but it may have what you need, and you may like the gallery better than the stock LG gallery. It would be a win win!
    It doesn't make sense that you can not edit photos at full resolution with the stock Photo editor on a phone with such a great camera.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle999 View Post
    It doesn't make sense that you can not edit photos at full resolution with the stock Photo editor on a phone with such a great camera.

I have the same issue with my galaxy note 3 afrer using the photo editor to draw a line in a photo. Very irritating with the quality degradation.

The reason why your photo degrades after edit is because you're using jpeg files. If you don't want that to happen, convert them to png files before you make any edits. The file size of the png will be significantly larger because they are a lossless format. After you've made the edits, convert back to jpeg if you want smaller file sizes
    This may help
    http://digital-photography-school.co...-gif%C2%A0-png
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by RobotHeaven View Post
    The reason why your photo degrades after edit is because you're using jpeg files. If you don't want that to happen, convert them to png files before you make any edits. The file size of the png will be significantly larger because they are a lossless format. After you've made the edits, convert back to jpeg if you want smaller file sizes
    This may help
    http://digital-photography-school.co...-gif%C2%A0-png
    Your missing the point. A jpeg should not be compressed from 3gb to 245kb with one minor edit. I'm well aware of lossless files and jpegs.

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts

I'm thinking that compressing the pic on edit in preparation to send as MMS might be intentional. I do realize that this isn't what you want (so apologies to everyone in advance), but maybe the developers thought this was a feature...?! (i.e. take pic, crop and send kinda thing).

Does it overwrite your original when you edit, or at least rename it or increment the filename so that you can at least fall back on the original?
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G3 D-852 | Android 5.0.1 | Rogers Wireless
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
    I'm thinking that compressing the pic on edit in preparation to send as MMS might be intentional. I do realize that this isn't what you want (so apologies to everyone in advance), but maybe the developers thought this was a feature...?! (i.e. take pic, crop and send kinda thing).

Does it overwrite your original when you edit, or at least rename it or increment the filename so that you can at least fall back on the original?
    Fortunately it does not overwrite the original. Converting for mms does make some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle999 View Post
    Your missing the point. A jpeg should not be compressed from 3gb to 245kb with one minor edit
    My crystal ball ain't working very well at the moment because that's the first time you've mentioned that tiny detail.
    My apologies for trying to help

I'm also looking for a better image editor. Keep coming back!

I think this viewer's pretty. I can use it to edit/process pics with just a few steps. You guys can have a try.

I have the same freakin' problem. I just did a simple vertical flip but that changed the resolution from 1920 to 800. So annoying to be forced to use 3rd party app for this.