Best way to charge battery to maximixe life

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Since the battery is not removable, I was wondering what is the best plan in order to maximize the life of the battery?

Does how much the battery drain before charging matter? (Should I let the battery drain as much as I can before recharging, or should I recharge or have it on a charger as much as possible, or does it not matter?) FYI, I could keep it on a charger much of the day during the week - it that good for the battery or not?

Is fast charging (with the stock charger) or slow charging (with an older less-amperage charger) better, or does it not matter?

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Newer batteries are very well protected against all these scenarios, so things like charge memory and overheating are no longer an issue. However, newer batteries LIKE to be used. That means that if you don't 'cycle' them on a regular basis, they will start to wear out a bit faster. The percentage where you re-charge your battery doesn't affect the cycling that much, but it's generally a better idea to do it when it's gone down to 30 or 20%. The only thing that I would advise against is to keep it on a charger all the time; they are protected against overheating and overcharging, but why tempt fate?

The charger output doesn't matter as long as your battery can take it (the input rating should not be smaller than the output of your charger or it may damage the internal circuitry of the battery).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not anymore Kris... that was with older battery tech. Now, it doesn't really matter. Actually, the worst of it might come from your phone if you let it die out because of processes that might be cut mid-way if it runs out of juice.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
We're not talking about "memory" here as that no longer applies but running your battery to within inches of its life on a regular basis is still not a good idea.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Not anymore Kris... that was with older battery tech. Now, it doesn't really matter. Actually, the worst of it might come from your phone if you let it die out because of processes that might be cut mid-way if it runs out of juice.

Fabulous news!! Thank you for the info... 😄

Posted via Android Central App