Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Some things not kosher.

I was just at an att store and they didn't even have a g2 on display. It was all about note 3. I asked about it and they pointed me at the o pro. They never even heard of the phone. None at Verizon either. Nobody is pushing this at all and its clearly the best phone out now.

Btw note 3 was not so bad. Just too big

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If you have poor signal connectivity, it may be Carrier IQ trying to keep reporting that you are dropping the connection. The carrier IQ information is not logged so you would not see it. It can even turn on your GPS for locational purposes.

I am just guessing here but try this. And if you do not know about Carrier IQ, there is a thread in this forum that covers it somewhat.

On the phone, go to - All Settings:General:Apps:Running:Android System: and select STOP to stop the IQ Agent Service. You will be upped one menu level to the running apps window. Select Android System and STOP the Android System. See if that changes your battery usage life. I have mine forced stopped and I can tell you that I have an average of 10 hours of daily screen time most of which is WiFi time of watching videos and internet forum use with texting and calls, including some downloading of rather large files that have taken 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete the download. And after all that, I still have 40% to 50% of battery life left.

BTW, I have been force stopping the Carrier IQ for several days now and there appears to be no problems with doing this. If you want to restart the process for auto reporting the meta data, just reboot the phone (cycle it off then turn it on) and Carrier IQ will start again.

And then again, it could be something totally different. But my batter life did increase after I did this.

I also want to thank you for this advice. I tried it first thing this morning and, while it's only been about 4 hours so far, I am already noticing a significant improvement in my battery life, and noticeable impairment of any function of the phone. So thanks.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems that stopping the Android System also stops the location services such as GPS. Is that correct?

I'm thinking yes. The attached shot is a detail of my Android System, on a recent day where my idle battery drain spiked. My GPS was off the whole time. Yeah there's a bug somewhere, but I still don't know what triggers it.

3yduru6y.jpg

Sent from my LG G2 via Tapatalk

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems that stopping the Android System also stops the location services such as GPS. Is that correct?

I don't think it does. I'll check today again but Google now work fine by giving me location based cards yesterday and nothing else noticeable in phone. I'll take a screen shot but any body having the drain problem try disabling it as stated in post above

Any body who disabled android systems see if it is stuck on restarting stautus in running apps?

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
"Location Services" was draining a huge portion of my battery and so now I only turn it on when needed. This has help on other smart phones too, except on android you have to turn off both GPS and location services. I know a factory reset helped battery life on the Nokia too, so you are definitely on to something.

Posted via Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you need to disable location service entirely to prevent battery drain. You just need to identify which apps are abusing it and get them under control.
In my case (probably for many others too), it was location setting hiding in google maps/now. There are location report, history settings there and make sure they are off. In older google map app, there was also location sharing setting triggered by latitude and it was horrible battery killer. Fortunately google latitude no longer exists though. Other possible battery hitter could be Google+ and it also has its own location sharing setting.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Check out this screen shot. It was idle all morning with 2 missed calls 3 text 1 voice mail, no screen time. I have all locations on plus history and reporting. GPS, bt, WiFi on. The only thing I changed since last night is Facebook. I only left push notification on. I don't think this is what made the difference. Maybe because I wasn't out and Phone wasn't looking for different signals?
1380565795364.jpg

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE. looks like slow charging via usb or wall charger makes no difference.

i too force stopped 'android system' and my battery life went through the roof! wifi on, almost all other stuff off (bt, gps, push email, etc), lots of texts, played madden 25 for about 30 minutes and tetris for another 20 minutes, 'screen time on' is about 3 hours total. current stat is 22 hours off charger and i have 73% battery left!

there is something DEFINITELY wrong with the firmware. i've done a factory reset and it didn't help.

the battery in this phone is amazing when its properly used.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
there is something DEFINITELY wrong with the firmware. i've done a factory reset and it didn't help.

the battery in this phone is amazing when its properly used.

I agree. The key is not triggering whatever causes Android System to go haywire. Its got to be an issue with the kernel.

Here is my last 2 days off the charger. This is with over 5 hours of screen on time, and what this battery can do when things are working properly.

nybany6y.jpg

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The key is not triggering whatever causes Android System to go haywire. Its got to be an issue with the kernel.

Here is my last 2 days off the charger. This is with over 5 hours of screen on time, and what this battery can do when things are working properly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/01/nybany6y.jpg

I agree to something is triggering it to go haywire. When it's running good it goes forever. Had anyone tried to contact LG?

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree to something is triggering it to go haywire. When it's running good it goes forever. Had anyone tried to contact LG?

Agreed. Android System is always at the top of my battery usage by a large margin. I still get pretty solid battery life, but I feel like something is wrong. Hopefully a software update will fix.

lstrk

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
You need to figure out for sure what"home" is. If that's your launcher, something is haywire. I've never seen a launcher consume that high of a percentage of battery.

It's stock launcher, I only have beautiful widgets..

but the weird thing is the home % goes down after i reset my phone

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
So I got ATT to send me a new device in the hopes that I had a defective one. I received said device the other day and after 3 days of typical use it's arguably WORSE on battery life than my original device that prompted me to start this thread. I have posted some battery life screen shots.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Some of you in this thread are experiencing the same thing, others appear to be getting the same awesome battery life that all the reviewers and many others are overjoyed about. Sooo, what's my next move? Rooting and flashing a custom ROM? Trying to root and get rid of carrier ID? If that is the problem, why isn't everyone with an att device getting hit? Ugh

battery1.jpgbattery2.jpg

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
So I got ATT to send me a new device in the hopes that I had a defective one. I received said device the other day and after 3 days of typical use it's arguably WORSE on battery life than my original device that prompted me to start this thread. I have posted some battery life screen shots.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Some of you in this thread are experiencing the same thing, others appear to be getting the same awesome battery life that all the reviewers and many others are overjoyed about. Sooo, what's my next move? Rooting and flashing a custom ROM? Trying to root and get rid of carrier ID? If that is the problem, why isn't everyone with an att device getting hit? Ugh

Have you forced stop the carrier IQ? There are 2 steps. Go into Manage Apps, Running. Go to whatever it says, carrier intelligent agent (or something along those lines), but you also need to go into Android System and stop the IQ in there. That initially helped my battery life.

I do think there is a core software issue somewhere that needs to be fixed by LG.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you forced stop the carrier IQ? There are 2 steps. Go into Manage Apps, Running. Go to whatever it says, carrier intelligent agent (or something along those lines), but you also need to go into Android System and stop the IQ in there. That initially helped my battery life.

I do think there is a core software issue somewhere that needs to be fixed by LG.

Thanks, I'll try that for sure and post with results. Does that change revert back at some point though seeing as it is core software?

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 85096View attachment 85095

I'm not really sure what's up with your phone. The only thing I can possibly blame it on is maybe having bad receotion??I had unusually large drain. I'm not rooted but since I've stopped obsessing over the battery it's been great. The only thing I did was change my Facebook to no sync and once I force stopped Google services but I have since restarted my phone. It was good for 2 days then was bad for 2 (idle time drain) then really good for a while. I notice you have" home" sucking a good percent. I can say I never seen that on my phone just Google play and service. This is a screen. From a bad day with hardly any screen time.

Attachments

• 1381249104784.jpg
    1381249104784.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 34

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really sure what's up with your phone. The only thing I can possibly blame it on is maybe having bad receotion??I had unusually large drain. I'm not rooted but since I've stopped obsessing over the battery it's been great. The only thing I did was change my Facebook to no sync and once I force stopped Google services but I have since restarted my phone. It was good for 2 days then was bad for 2 (idle time drain) then really good for a while. I notice you have" home" sucking a good percent. I can say I never seen that on my phone just Google play and service. This is a screen. From a bad day with hardly any screen time.

Yeah, and as I mentioned, this is my second G2 because I was having the same issue with my first one. Stranger still, it doesn't/hasn't appeared to be a google services issue. And anecdotally, i haven't been stuck anywhere with heinously bad service that would have this kind of drainage effect.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's a couple of things that I've come to believe is happening ...

Google Services: I believe the large use % here is associated with Google Now, and its related location reporting and history services. The best way to test is to turn it off along with any location reporting and history. However, I recently enabled Google Now to observe the difference of not running it, and while it certainly increases battery drain a bit, it is not what I would consider adverse battery drain. I let my phone sit overnight last night and I lost about 6% over 8 hours of idle.

Android System: I'm beginning to believe that the wakelock that can trigger in this category and cause severe idle drain involves a bug with the implementation of Carrier IQ. Since I've rooted and used System Tuner to disable the SEVEN (yes 7) Carrier IQ services that run, I have not been able to trigger the heavy idle drain scenario that I had been able to trigger three times previously. This isn't smoking gun proof, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction right now.

Regarding root, you do not need to install a custom ROM or custom recovery to disable Carrier IQ. Right now my phone is simply rooted, with System Tuner installed to auto disable the Carrier IQ services. Rooting has the additional side benefit of being able to use the App Greenify to auto hibernate Apps that love to run in the background such as Pandora and Facebook. Now in your case justlaxin13, before you consider rooting, I would first be sure that you really want to own the G2, as rooting could cause complications if you can't resolve your battery issues and ultimately decide to return it. It is possible to revert your phone to pure stock, but it's a bit more complicated than the rooting process.