Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it

All in all something is triggering a drain. I've had this phone from Friday the 13th the day it was released and it is the best I've had. My wife has gs4 still and I could never go back to it. I now really understand what others are saying about touch and the oled, it really does suck and that phones battery is totally dead in 2 hours. I smile at this beautiful screen every time I wake up. (Don't tell my wife)

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill View Post
    Welp, looks like I experienced it again today, post disabling Carrier IQ. A reboot cleared up the issue as before.

I attached a screenshot that I think illustrates this nicely. During the first hour off the charger you see a pretty flat line, with a loss of about 1-2%. Then something hits just past the 1 hour mark that causes a loss of about 20% over 3 hours. Then after the reboot it flat lines again for the next 1.5 hours. During that 3 hour drain I barely used the phone, as the level line should show.

Back to the drawing board.

Attachment 85183
    I don't understand what up with this.yesterday I restarted after some average battery life. Plugged in overnight, and now I have this amazing battery life (20 min screen, mostly Wi-Fi some 4g:

imgur: the simple image sharer

The problem for me is that I did the exact same thing yesterday, and was down to about 89%.

Quote Originally Posted by kollarism View Post
    I don't understand what up with this.yesterday I restarted after some average battery life. Plugged in overnight, and more I have this amazing battery life (20 min screen, mostly Wi-Fi some 4g:

imgur: the simple image sharer

The problem for me is that I did the exact same thing yesterday, and was down to about 89%.
    Yup. I don't get it. Last week for me all the same settings. And this was all idle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-1381322762669.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle999 View Post
    Yup. I don't get it. Last week for me all the same settings. And this was all idle.

Yeah, I don't know which is worse, while you and some others lack reliable consistency with battery life, I have had my G2 for a few weeks and never gotten more than 14 hours of battery life under any circumstances.

How's the service in your area? I have been switching off my Wi-Fi. I'm sorry I'm glooming in my recent success in battery but man when this phone is good it really cooks. I'm afraid it will crap out in the near future but I gave up trying to figure it our...for now

Quote Originally Posted by justlaxin13 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know which is worse, while you and some others lack reliable consistency with battery life, I have had my G2 for a few weeks and never gotten more than 14 hours of battery life under any circumstances.
    I've never had that low. Can you post battery stats?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

I've never had that low. Can you post battery stats?
    I posted a battery stat screenshot yesterday, somewhere in the middle of page two of this thread. I don't have newer ones at the moment, but i'll re-post those two below. To note: while only for one day's usage, these are incredibly typical and this is on the my second G2. I had my first one replaced for identical battery issues.

Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-battery2.jpgBattery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-battery1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by justlaxin13 View Post
    I posted a battery stat screenshot yesterday, somewhere in the middle of page two of this thread. I don't have newer ones at the moment, but i'll re-post those two below. To note: while only for one day's usage, these are incredibly typical and this is on the my second G2. I had my first one replaced for identical battery issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	85237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	85238
    Go into your phone radio, what numbers are you getting? Also, streaming music will obviously cause some battery drain. What is pocket casts? Also, do you have Google location services off?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Go into your phone radio, what numbers are you getting? Also, streaming music will obviously cause some battery drain. What is pocket casts? Also, do you have Google location services off?
    That was a screen shot from the other day, so when my battery gets low today ill look into the phone radio section and let you know. I had a few other screen shots i just glanced at and google music was used for 23 minutes. Pocket Casts is a podcast streaming app, I used that for about an hour that day.

While obviously i know that streaming is going to take a chunk out of battery, im pretty sure that isn't the primary issue here. Given essentially identical usage patterns this is phone is getting noticeably worse battery life than my S4 and it's on par with what my stock Nexus 4 was giving me before that.

Try just doing a standard restart (turn your phone off for a few minutes) Today i'm at 17hrs, 2.5 screen time, and still at 62%.

My battery in g2 is awesome. ..I'll explain. What. I use to do..I don't use Google play movie,books music. .I disable this ..all coz these are idiotic. Apps run in background. Allways eats. Battery. ..then this Facebook...facebook eats. More battery. . Then if you have avg. ...it will drain your battery. ..and other social apps.then Google sync. Turn off Google sync.. then before going to bed restart the phone. It will be good to.keep your phone battery level. ..uninstall unwanted apps..disable apps that you never use...

Posted via Android Central App

Bought this phone as the specs on paper were too good.
    All good with phone, except the battery drain - could be the OS build issue -Android system was the top battery drainer.
    Reset did not help, same issue with no additional apps installed.
    Battery was draining at 5% an hour with phone idle(wifi, gps, Bluetooth and no background tasks)
    If in use actively about 12% an hour drain.

Returned in the store and bought another model.

Then you can ask your operators to change the mobile

Posted via Android Central App

I wouldnt throw the device under the bus just yet with the battery drain.
    Even nexus devices had issues at one point with the OS draining the battery. Sometimes a dev needs to fix it and sometimes the manufactuer and carriers are on top of it. I believe alot of the drain has to do with the carrierIQ. Im running a canadian bell based rom right now with out carrierIQ and will advise on how my battery drains over the next day or so.
    ReaLife1st
    Just a couple of guys that theme in their spare time.
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO
    All of our work is now tagged with [RLF]
    Like my work, or something I helped you do you can help get my kids some diapers by searching ZIGGSVO in the market.
    (Never Required but always appreciated!)

what kind of drain are you guys seeing overnight while the phone is idle? i usually charge to 100% before i go to bed, and then leave the phone on my desk. by the morning it's down by 11-12% (no screen on, just pulling email/facebook etc.). Is this normal?

That seems like pretty rapid drain. Mine loses about 1% every three hours when sitting on the table overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts

I think I may have found out why mine drains sometimes. Is it normal for calendar storage to have this many wakelocks?

Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-screenshot_2013-10-12-06-24-14.jpg

Gsam is saying that it's not using any the power by the screenshots below, so i'm not sure what's going on

Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-screenshot_2013-10-12-06-47-42.jpg

Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-screenshot_2013-10-12-06-48-07.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-screenshot_2013-10-12-06-47-42.jpg  

Strangely, my phone drained 40% overnight and my phone was nearly dead in the morning (its back up to 14% because i plugged in the charger)... i rebooted the phone and disabled the carrier iq again and my battery life is back to "normal"...

Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it-screenshot_2013-10-13-06-56-53.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by g2_havok View Post
    Strangely, my phone drained 40% overnight and my phone was nearly dead in the morning (its back up to 14% because i plugged in the charger)... i rebooted the phone and disabled the carrier iq again and my battery life is back to "normal"...
    It was likely the reboot rather than disabling Carrier IQ that fixed the idle drain issue. This hit my phone again on Saturday so I let it run overnight and through the next day with minimal use so BBS and GSam could gather as much data as possible. Unfortunately nothing stood out in the reports. There was and still is no smoking gun that I can identify yet. But there IS something that can cause excess deep sleep drain. I'm still working on it, but it's slow going because I have to wait for the bug to trigger without knowing what the actual trigger is. A suggestion over on XDA was to clear data on a few Google system Apps which I've done and now I'm in monitor mode again.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

After having a great week of battery life my phone took a turn for the worse again. Now when I say worse it's still good but not that stellar life I want this phone to be consistent with. I am kinda giving up. I think I may just do one final factory reset and just let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle999 View Post
    After having a great week of battery life my phone took a turn for the worse again. Now when I say worse it's still good but not that stellar life I want this phone to be consistent with. I am kinda giving up. I think I may just do one final factory reset and just let it be.

Does it get better after a reboot or no change?

It was likely the reboot rather than disabling Carrier IQ that fixed the idle drain issue. This hit my phone again on Saturday so I let it run overnight and through the next day with minimal use so BBS and GSam could gather as much data as possible. Unfortunately nothing stood out in the reports. There was and still is no smoking gun that I can identify yet. But there IS something that can cause excess deep sleep drain. I'm still working on it, but it's slow going because I have to wait for the bug to trigger without knowing what the actual trigger is. A suggestion over on XDA was to clear data on a few Google system Apps which I've done and now I'm in monitor mode again.
    in all seriousness, 20+ hours of usage is pretty dang good. however, since i've been averaging 50+ hours with my usage pattern, anything below that is unacceptable now. especially so since something funky in the firmware is causing the drain and not my usage. those that do have this mystery battery drain really need a way to bring it to att/lg's attention so it gets addressed.

don't even bother to go into the store or getting a replacement unit or even doing a factory reset; it is a problem that is baked into the att version of the firmware it seems.

In the past not always. I think it may just be coincidental when it does improve. I just restarted now. Let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by g2_havok View Post
    in all seriousness, 20+ hours of usage is pretty dang good. however, since i've been averaging 50+ hours with my usage pattern, anything below that is unacceptable now. especially so since something funky in the firmware is causing the drain and not my usage. those that do have this mystery battery drain really need a way to bring it to att/lg's attention so it gets addressed..
    I agree. When you've experienced what it CAN do, anything less is unacceptable assuming the same variables. Now, I could solve this problem simply by shutting it down every time I charge it up, but that's certainly less than ideal and something we shouldn't have to do, especially when it's not obvious that the bug was triggered and you go to sleep thinking things are fine and wake up to a dead phone. Tracking down the culprit has been difficult though, and you can't really go to AT&T or LG and say "my idle battery drain is inconsistent!". They'll just start talking about Apps and signal strength and the like. You need a smoking gun, and I have yet to find one.

I agree. When you've experienced what it CAN do, anything less is unacceptable assuming the same variables. Now, I could solve this problem simply by shutting it down every time I charge it up, but that's certainly less than ideal and something we shouldn't have to do, especially when it's not obvious that the bug was triggered and you go to sleep thinking things are fine and wake up to a dead phone. Tracking down the culprit has been difficult though, and you can't really go to AT&T or LG and say "my idle battery drain is inconsistent!". They'll just start talking about Apps and signal strength and the like. You need a smoking gun, and I have yet to find one.
    Maybe this forum could be that smoking gun. Is it really only att version? Never crossed my mind. Also on a side note, has anyone had GPS problems?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast