Battery drain issues: need help/other opinions, should I return it

jeno27

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My battery in g2 is awesome. ..I'll explain. What. I use to do..I don't use Google play movie,books music. .I disable this ..all coz these are idiotic. Apps run in background. Allways eats. Battery. ..then this Facebook...facebook eats. More battery. . Then if you have avg. ...it will drain your battery. ..and other social apps.then Google sync. Turn off Google sync.. then before going to bed restart the phone. It will be good to.keep your phone battery level. ..uninstall unwanted apps..disable apps that you never use...

Posted via Android Central App

preddyp

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Bought this phone as the specs on paper were too good.
All good with phone, except the battery drain - could be the OS build issue -Android system was the top battery drainer.
Reset did not help, same issue with no additional apps installed.
Battery was draining at 5% an hour with phone idle(wifi, gps, Bluetooth and no background tasks)
If in use actively about 12% an hour drain.

Returned in the store and bought another model.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt throw the device under the bus just yet with the battery drain.
Even nexus devices had issues at one point with the OS draining the battery. Sometimes a dev needs to fix it and sometimes the manufactuer and carriers are on top of it. I believe alot of the drain has to do with the carrierIQ. Im running a canadian bell based rom right now with out carrierIQ and will advise on how my battery drains over the next day or so.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
what kind of drain are you guys seeing overnight while the phone is idle? i usually charge to 100% before i go to bed, and then leave the phone on my desk. by the morning it's down by 11-12% (no screen on, just pulling email/facebook etc.). Is this normal?

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
That seems like pretty rapid drain. Mine loses about 1% every three hours when sitting on the table overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have found out why mine drains sometimes. Is it normal for calendar storage to have this many wakelocks?

Screenshot_2013-10-12-06-24-14.jpg

Gsam is saying that it's not using any the power by the screenshots below, so i'm not sure what's going on

Screenshot_2013-10-12-06-47-42.jpg

Screenshot_2013-10-12-06-48-07.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-12-06-47-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-12-06-47-42.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 22

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, my phone drained 40% overnight and my phone was nearly dead in the morning (its back up to 14% because i plugged in the charger)... i rebooted the phone and disabled the carrier iq again and my battery life is back to "normal"...

Screenshot_2013-10-13-06-56-53.jpg

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Strangely, my phone drained 40% overnight and my phone was nearly dead in the morning (its back up to 14% because i plugged in the charger)... i rebooted the phone and disabled the carrier iq again and my battery life is back to "normal"...

It was likely the reboot rather than disabling Carrier IQ that fixed the idle drain issue. This hit my phone again on Saturday so I let it run overnight and through the next day with minimal use so BBS and GSam could gather as much data as possible. Unfortunately nothing stood out in the reports. There was and still is no smoking gun that I can identify yet. But there IS something that can cause excess deep sleep drain. I'm still working on it, but it's slow going because I have to wait for the bug to trigger without knowing what the actual trigger is. A suggestion over on XDA was to clear data on a few Google system Apps which I've done and now I'm in monitor mode again.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
After having a great week of battery life my phone took a turn for the worse again. Now when I say worse it's still good but not that stellar life I want this phone to be consistent with. I am kinda giving up. I think I may just do one final factory reset and just let it be.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
After having a great week of battery life my phone took a turn for the worse again. Now when I say worse it's still good but not that stellar life I want this phone to be consistent with. I am kinda giving up. I think I may just do one final factory reset and just let it be.

Does it get better after a reboot or no change?

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
It was likely the reboot rather than disabling Carrier IQ that fixed the idle drain issue. This hit my phone again on Saturday so I let it run overnight and through the next day with minimal use so BBS and GSam could gather as much data as possible. Unfortunately nothing stood out in the reports. There was and still is no smoking gun that I can identify yet. But there IS something that can cause excess deep sleep drain. I'm still working on it, but it's slow going because I have to wait for the bug to trigger without knowing what the actual trigger is. A suggestion over on XDA was to clear data on a few Google system Apps which I've done and now I'm in monitor mode again.
in all seriousness, 20+ hours of usage is pretty dang good. however, since i've been averaging 50+ hours with my usage pattern, anything below that is unacceptable now. especially so since something funky in the firmware is causing the drain and not my usage. those that do have this mystery battery drain really need a way to bring it to att/lg's attention so it gets addressed.

don't even bother to go into the store or getting a replacement unit or even doing a factory reset; it is a problem that is baked into the att version of the firmware it seems.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
In the past not always. I think it may just be coincidental when it does improve. I just restarted now. Let's see.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
in all seriousness, 20+ hours of usage is pretty dang good. however, since i've been averaging 50+ hours with my usage pattern, anything below that is unacceptable now. especially so since something funky in the firmware is causing the drain and not my usage. those that do have this mystery battery drain really need a way to bring it to att/lg's attention so it gets addressed..

I agree. When you've experienced what it CAN do, anything less is unacceptable assuming the same variables. Now, I could solve this problem simply by shutting it down every time I charge it up, but that's certainly less than ideal and something we shouldn't have to do, especially when it's not obvious that the bug was triggered and you go to sleep thinking things are fine and wake up to a dead phone. Tracking down the culprit has been difficult though, and you can't really go to AT&T or LG and say "my idle battery drain is inconsistent!". They'll just start talking about Apps and signal strength and the like. You need a smoking gun, and I have yet to find one.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree. When you've experienced what it CAN do, anything less is unacceptable assuming the same variables. Now, I could solve this problem simply by shutting it down every time I charge it up, but that's certainly less than ideal and something we shouldn't have to do, especially when it's not obvious that the bug was triggered and you go to sleep thinking things are fine and wake up to a dead phone. Tracking down the culprit has been difficult though, and you can't really go to AT&T or LG and say "my idle battery drain is inconsistent!". They'll just start talking about Apps and signal strength and the like. You need a smoking gun, and I have yet to find one.

Maybe this forum could be that smoking gun. Is it really only att version? Never crossed my mind. Also on a side note, has anyone had GPS problems?

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
That seems like pretty rapid drain. Mine loses about 1% every three hours when sitting on the table overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

i think it was the wifi draining it that much on my G2. i was used to leaving wifi on overnight, since my old phone's battery drained more slowly with wifi on.

i turned the wifi off overnight on my G2, and now i am only getting 1% drain every 2 hrs or so. phew

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
well, here's something interesting. you see that big dip in battery life? this occurred shortly after i made a couple of phone calls and a few text messages. then the battery started draining really quickly. i rebooted the phone and you see how the battery stabilized again. i currently have carrier iq ON. my usage pattern has not changed. with almost 5 hours of screen time, i'm stable at 37% battery and as you can see, my battery has been going for 46+ hours.

for now... i can't say definitively that carrier iq was the problem... :(

Screenshot_2013-10-15-08-13-01.jpg

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
well, here's something interesting. you see that big dip in battery life? this occurred shortly after i made a couple of phone calls and a few text messages. then the battery started draining really quickly. i rebooted the phone and you see how the battery stabilized again. i currently have carrier iq ON. my usage pattern has not changed. with almost 5 hours of screen time, i'm stable at 37% battery and as you can see, my battery has been going for 46+ hours.

]

Does your GPS turn on when you receive a phone call? And are you on AT&T?

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 86826

Wtf 162 hours?!?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12