For anyone still reluctant to buy

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm a former Nexus 4 owner who recently upgraded to the LG G2. My phone history includes the Razr Maxx, GS3/4/Note2, and as aforementioned the N4.

So as everyone who's coming from or is used to using pure stock android, I was somewhat reluctant to buy this phone because of the reviews regarding the user interface being ugly, bloated, or cartoony (aka TouchWiz like). Well I'm here to say that as a former user and lover of the minimalist stock android experience on the Nexus 4, this is in no way hard to stomach, or even tolerate. In fact, the experience on the LG UI is somewhat pleasant. Let me explain why:

1. Although some of the features of the user experience seems somewhat dated and "heavy," these are more often than not avoidable or hidden for the most part. For example, there are some skeuomorphistic elements to the UI, but mostly just in the menus and stock LG apps. You don't have to view the menu except for the first initial setup (at least for me), and then only occasionally after that.

2. As with any android phone, you can download an alternative launcher (In my case Nova), and try to imitate a vanilla experience from the homescreens. I have this set up and use Jellybean stock icons as a theme set. it's like using a bigger-screened N4.

3. On screen buttons are very reminiscent of stock vanilla experience, albeit the controversial addition of the menu button in place of a tasks option. To be completely honest I was dumbfounded at first but after using the phone (glued to the phone!) for a day i was used to it. In comparison to something like the GS4, or any phone with a physical home button, where you have to long press it in order to launch the recent apps list in which the process is extremely cumbersome, on the G2 we have on screen buttons so it is a more pleasurable experience to hold down for a mere second on the screen for recent apps. In other words, it just feels better than holding down a physical button, and it's not such a bad alternative to having a dedicated recent apps button (although the latter is superior).

4. THE SCREEN. Ok, I want to elaborate on this point a bit. So I'm coming from a generation and then some of Galaxy products, all of which I have tried to imitate a stock android experience by installing Nova launcher, using Google apps, and in the case of a GS4 i owned previous to this actually flashed a 4.2.2 Jellybean AOSP ROM. All the while, it just didn't feel right, and then I came to the realization that it's because it's an amoled screen. I know the Galaxy Nexus was using one as well, but after a year of using the N4, I feel like it really embodies stock vanilla experience better than amoled. Well, what I'm saying is that even though the G2 doesn't run stock android, it's TOLERABLE experience using the stock G2 ROM. Using the ghosting blacks, yellowish whites, and extremely cartoonish colors (exacerbated by TouchWiz!) on Galaxy products, this screen is a breath of fresh air and is basically an upgrage to the N4 screen, which also had a very respectable screen.

Basically, coming from pure vanilla android, there isn't much difference or disparity between this and the G2. At least, I find that it's a pleasant experience.

Also, the battery life on this phone is simply incredible. That is enough to say, but to elaborate a bit: on the first day I owned the G2, right out of the box I got 6 hours of screen on time with 8 hours of use. Today, I'm at 13 hours of usage with 4 hours of screen on time. Coming from a N4, this is exponentially better. I feel like this in itself is worth a compromise, if you consider it a compromise, to buy the G2 instead of the N5, which is all but confirmed to have an inferior 2300 mAh battery.

The camera is exceptionally amazing. On par with every high end smartphone camera, and then some.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I highly recommend the G2 to anyone interested in upgrading to a new phone and not interested in the next Nexus.

(As a side note, I don't see what exactly is so similar between this phone and the N5, other than the 1080 P screen [which every phone basically has nowadays], and the processor [which I assume many future phones may adopt]). :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great insight. I'm a big fan of the number 2 suggestion, which is to replace the stock launcher with one from the Play Store (Nova or ADW Ex). It's a quick fix for anyone not liking the stock UI and the Play Store is filled with widget or app replacements that are not available outside the stock launcher.

Thank you for the post.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I essentially agree with everything the opening poster said and I came from a Galaxy Nexus. I will add though that I absolutely love some of the features of the LG UI and the fact that the G2 can use themes out of the box. Instead of using a different launcher I simply downloaded all of the themes that are posted over on XDA that are supposed to work with the G Pro as they work with the G2 as well and there is a vanilla JB theme in there. I can honestly say that the LG UI does not get in my way or hinder me in the least. This may seem sacrilegious to some, but I think Google could take some features from the G2 and implement them in AOSP. I think LG took the most advantage of their Nexus experiences and is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Samsung better watch their back.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight I'm actually debating between these two phones, waiting for the LG G2 vs Nexus 5 thread, but like you said 3000 mAh battery vs 2300 mAh! Why couldn't they just use the 3000 in the Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a link for the themes? I've searched can't find anything.
I essentially agree with everything the opening poster said and I came from a Galaxy Nexus. I will add though that I absolutely love some of the features of the LG UI and the fact that the G2 can use themes out of the box. Instead of using a different launcher I simply downloaded all of the themes that are posted over on XDA that are supposed to work with the G Pro as they work with the G2 as well and there is a vanilla JB theme in there. I can honestly say that the LG UI does not get in my way or hinder me in the least. This may seem sacrilegious to some, but I think Google could take some features from the G2 and implement them in AOSP. I think LG took the most advantage of their Nexus experiences and is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Samsung better watch their back.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm a former Nexus 4 owner who recently upgraded to the LG G2. My phone history includes the Razr Maxx, GS3/4/Note2, and as aforementioned the N4.

So as everyone who's coming from or is used to using pure stock android, I was somewhat reluctant to buy this phone because of the reviews regarding the user interface being ugly, bloated, or cartoony (aka TouchWiz like). Well I'm here to say that as a former user and lover of the minimalist stock android experience on the Nexus 4, this is in no way hard to stomach, or even tolerate. In fact, the experience on the LG UI is somewhat pleasant. Let me explain why:

1. Although some of the features of the user experience seems somewhat dated and "heavy," these are more often than not avoidable or hidden for the most part. For example, there are some skeuomorphistic elements to the UI, but mostly just in the menus and stock LG apps. You don't have to view the menu except for the first initial setup (at least for me), and then only occasionally after that.

2. As with any android phone, you can download an alternative launcher (In my case Nova), and try to imitate a vanilla experience from the homescreens. I have this set up and use Jellybean stock icons as a theme set. it's like using a bigger-screened N4.

3. On screen buttons are very reminiscent of stock vanilla experience, albeit the controversial addition of the menu button in place of a tasks option. To be completely honest I was dumbfounded at first but after using the phone (glued to the phone!) for a day i was used to it. In comparison to something like the GS4, or any phone with a physical home button, where you have to long press it in order to launch the recent apps list in which the process is extremely cumbersome, on the G2 we have on screen buttons so it is a more pleasurable experience to hold down for a mere second on the screen for recent apps. In other words, it just feels better than holding down a physical button, and it's not such a bad alternative to having a dedicated recent apps button (although the latter is superior).

4. THE SCREEN. Ok, I want to elaborate on this point a bit. So I'm coming from a generation and then some of Galaxy products, all of which I have tried to imitate a stock android experience by installing Nova launcher, using Google apps, and in the case of a GS4 i owned previous to this actually flashed a 4.2.2 Jellybean AOSP ROM. All the while, it just didn't feel right, and then I came to the realization that it's because it's an amoled screen. I know the Galaxy Nexus was using one as well, but after a year of using the N4, I feel like it really embodies stock vanilla experience better than amoled. Well, what I'm saying is that even though the G2 doesn't run stock android, it's TOLERABLE experience using the stock G2 ROM. Using the ghosting blacks, yellowish whites, and extremely cartoonish colors (exacerbated by TouchWiz!) on Galaxy products, this screen is a breath of fresh air and is basically an upgrage to the N4 screen, which also had a very respectable screen.

Basically, coming from pure vanilla android, there isn't much difference or disparity between this and the G2. At least, I find that it's a pleasant experience.

Also, the battery life on this phone is simply incredible. That is enough to say, but to elaborate a bit: on the first day I owned the G2, right out of the box I got 6 hours of screen on time with 8 hours of use. Today, I'm at 13 hours of usage with 4 hours of screen on time. Coming from a N4, this is exponentially better. I feel like this in itself is worth a compromise, if you consider it a compromise, to buy the G2 instead of the N5, which is all but confirmed to have an inferior 2300 mAh battery.

The camera is exceptionally amazing. On par with every high end smartphone camera, and then some.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I highly recommend the G2 to anyone interested in upgrading to a new phone and not interested in the next Nexus.

(As a side note, I don't see what exactly is so similar between this phone and the N5, other than the 1080 P screen [which every phone basically has nowadays], and the processor [which I assume many future phones may adopt]). :)

You had me at SKEUOMOROHISTIC. any phone with that is worth a look

Posted via Android Central App

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, knock on and off will work with other launchers, but you can only knock off on the status bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, knock on and off will work with other launchers, but you can only knock off on the status bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Not 100% true. With Nova, you can just download the Screen Off app and tell Nova use that app when you knock anywhere on the screen. Works great for my set up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol