Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Default Trying out stock launcher again

So I changed my G2 pretty much the day I got it to run Nova Prime launcher. As has been mentioned with the G2 running a 3rd party launcher means you not only gain some functionality but you also lose some.

So the things you lose are not that big of a deal, you lose the transparent notification and onscreen button bars, and knock-off has to be done in the notification bar vs anywhere on the screen. You also can't hide app labels or change the folders to any different styles.

You can however install themes. Why the G2 only comes with 2 pre-installed is beyond me but there is some pretty good themes available. Another thing I can't understand LG doing is using your own wallpaper leads to a light blue transparent notification bar (why LG why).

So anyway I was happily using my G2 with Nova Prime, wallpapers I want, icons I want etc.... I like to tinker though and wanted to see the G2 out of the box experience a little more closely.

So I settled on a Miui theme & one of the stock LG wallpapers. After taking some time to setup a few folders, add the flashlight widget, Google now widget, and gallery widget (I have kids and I enjoy the quick access to their photo album) I'm actually really happy with the stock launcher and have removed Nova and icon packs from my phone. I switched my quick memo button to the drop down button (Nova allows a Swype down anywhere on screen to pull it down vs LG you have to reach all the way to the bar).

I never thought I'd be happy with a non Nexus phone again but I've been proven wrong.

Here are a few pictures of my home screens.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

Default Re: Trying out stock launcher again

Nice. How did you change the app drawer icon?

Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    Nice. How did you change the app drawer icon?
    It changes with whatever theme you install. Like here is the vanilla Jelly Bean theme with my own wallpaper.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying out stock launcher again-uploadfromtaptalk1381618890306.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

See Videoengineerajs why did LG have to add the notification bar when you use your own picture. One of those design decisions that makes no sense to me.

Tp2386 yes every theme I have tried have their own unique set of icons including the app drawer one.

I am waiting on my lg g2 to get here (Monday hopefully) can I change my icons to the iOS 7? That's how I have it now. I am using nova and I love it. I am going to try the stock launcher first though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying out stock launcher again-uploadfromtaptalk1381636779974.jpg  

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Which MIUI theme (from the Market) works with stock launcher?

Thanks, Randy

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

I have tried downloading themes. But as it turns out they are not compatible with the stock lg g2 launcher. I download themes, go to settings, display, home screen and themes. All I can see is the two themes that it came with. How do u get your theme to work with the stock g2 launcher? And also, is there a way to find themes that specifically with G2 launcher??
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by wnflyer View Post
    Which MIUI theme (from the Market) works with stock launcher?

Thanks, Randy

via Android Central App

I have no idea about themes from the market for the G2. The link above is the Miui theme I used.

Posted via G2 Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by monil11 View Post
    I have tried downloading themes. But as it turns out they are not compatible with the stock lg g2 launcher. I download themes, go to settings, display, home screen and themes. All I can see is the two themes that it came with. How do u get your theme to work with the stock g2 launcher? And also, is there a way to find themes that specifically with G2 launcher??
    View my post above, all the themes in that thread at XDA work with the G2 that I've tried. Download, install the apk and then got to select themes and your done.

Posted via G2 Android Central App

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Thanks for the info.

Posted via my 1997 BlackBerry Pearl

I tried out the the stock launcher after initially reading your original post. I love that stock launcher will get me the transparent dock and knock off from anywhere on the screen. But, I ended up going back to Apex since I'm more into the apex features that allow me to set up gestures, swipe up opens chrome and swipe down opens app drawer. This is basic functionality for me now after having this set up for more than a year now. Also, I really hate having the app names included on the homescreen, seems so dated to have that text in there and looks a little cluttered. Other than these 3 things, the stock launcher is great. I think its credit to LG that this is the first stock launcher I've been tempted to use... and I'm still looking for apps that might help incorporate the swipe features into LG launcher.

Mobius, how did you get rid of the text on the apps of the Miui Theme you have set up????

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

I tried out Apex and Nova and couldn't get the widgets I like to use ie(calendar, stock weather and some other ones) to work.

Yeah, stock widgets don't work on Apex for sure... but I'm not a widget guy really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gonzales View Post
    Mobius, how did you get rid of the text on the apps of the Miui Theme you have set up????
    I just did a test and if you have more than 6 app icons in the bar it automatically removes the text.

how do you get 6 icons in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gonzales View Post
    how do you get 6 icons in there?
    Well if you want the text removed you need to have 7 icons, but you just drag and drop like you would to the home screen. Like if you want the settings shortcut in the bar just drag it down there.
    Thanked by:

Thank you! so simple, could have sworn I tried to add more apps to the dock when I first got the phone... it works. Now I just need to break the habit of swiping to pull up the app drawer and chrome.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

I went with nova and now i'm back to stock and i'm staying. I have the perfect setup now. I rooted and removed the software keys and downloaded lmt pie launcher. I also downloaded an app called appsi that gives my phone this side bar when I swipe. I'm coming from a Blackberry Z10 (I know, I know). I loved swiping through the OS but I couldn't stand much of anything else, so I made my G2 as swipy as possible.

Trying out stock launcher again-screenshot_2013-10-15-08-31-53.jpg

lmt pie launcher comes up when I swipe up from the lg logo as seen below

Trying out stock launcher again-screenshot_2013-10-15-08-32-27.jpg

Pic of appsi side launcher when I swipe from right to left.

Trying out stock launcher again-screenshot_2013-10-15-08-32-52.jpg
    Mobius360 likes this.

I actually like the stock launcher! I love the marshmallow theme. I do miss having more then one dock but no biggeie I only had one more. Wish I could change how my folders look too. I had really went to nova with the galaxy s4 to make it faster. With the LG G2 we don't need a launcher to make it faster. I would go back tho if the home button/back button and menu button would be transparent on nova, since I can change more with nova. I will take a screen shot and post :-)

Very girly this time Lol

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying out stock launcher again-1381929046327.jpg  
    Mobius360 likes this.

" went with nova and now i'm back to stock and i'm staying. I have the perfect setup now. I rooted and removed the software keys and downloaded lmt pie launcher. I also downloaded an app called appsi that gives my phone this side bar when I swipe. I'm coming from a Blackberry Z10 (I know, I know). I loved swiping through the OS but I couldn't stand much of anything else, so I made my G2 as swipy as possible."

that's cool, but not very stock anymore! Question for you TP, with you rooted and on stock launcher... are you able to knock off anywhere on the screen? I said I wouldn't root this phone, but...

Here are all of the third party themes that I have installed at the moment. The only reason I think the notification bar isn't transparent is because I was in the process of uploading screenshots to Drive because normally the notification bar is transparent with these themes because they use the "default" wallpaper for the theme.

Trying out stock launcher again-plate.pngTrying out stock launcher again-cklp.pngTrying out stock launcher again-wp8.pngTrying out stock launcher again-ubuntu.pngTrying out stock launcher again-iphone.pngTrying out stock launcher again-gs4.pngTrying out stock launcher again-xperia.pngTrying out stock launcher again-suave.pngTrying out stock launcher again-flow.pngTrying out stock launcher again-sense.pngTrying out stock launcher again-jb.png
    Thanked by 2:
    Mobius360 likes this.

man I always go with nova launcher, but some of those screenshots look great!

The main reason I dumped the stock launcher was the EVERY single time I tried to move an icon from one page to the next, then screens would start going crazy and wouldn't let me set the icon down on the page I wanted. It was crazy..the screens would just fly by as I had the icon "held" with my finger. No such issues ever like that with the Nova launcher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast