kit kat upgrade

jeno27

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Do we get kit kat....upgrade. for G2.....after the launch of nexus 5....both are lg devices? ????

Posted via Android Central App

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Even though the nexus 5 is an lg device, Google updates it, and lg updates the g2. And with lg's history I doubt they will

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
yep, only reason I toyed with getting the Note 3, as much as I hate Samsung phones, they are just old to me and the same, but they are decent at up dating their software. LG seems to lag pretty bad in this area, but who knows, they are doing well it seems with this phone and even there last couple of phone were solid, just didn't sell. Either way, I don't know if we would notice a huge difference in kitkat due to the os on the g2. I mean what more can they do? Keep in mind its just a phone, I think it will be slight changes, such as secretly issues and pretty software, but nothing crazy like ginger bread or key lime, I watched some of that 7 minute video and wasn't that impressed. Thats just me, I could waaaay wrong!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
There is also a carrier involved as well, which will always delay OS updates. I believe this phone will definitely see Kit Kat, but not until around Spring next year at the soonest unless LG decides to really push for it on their flagship to try to get a leg up on Samsung.

jamesish

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
One reason why I left g2. LG had no intentions of updating to 4.4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah right keep dreaming. You will get next year if you are lucky.

One reason why I left g2. LG had no intentions of updating to 4.4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

lool poor dissension. unless u have verizion.
att, tmobile, sprint are sloooww on updates for any device

specially att i had a gs3 it was running out the box update that didnt have the multitasking feature ands all that jazz.
it litterly took att 4 almost 5 months after every one else got that update.

tbh i dont care about the updates unless its a major revamp and can literately tell the differences..

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
This is my first LG and I don't really care for Kit Kat but if it's not released or I have to wait 2+ months I will never buy another LG.

Dramatic, yes but also a company needs to stand behind their product, really show some love.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This is my first LG and I don't really care for Kit Kat but if it's not released or I have to wait 2+ months I will never buy another LG.

Dramatic, yes but also a company needs to stand behind their product, really show some love.

What device did you own before the G2?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
What device did you own before the G2?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 "back up"

Had...

hTc one. I had two of them, 32GB.
64GB Apple iPhone 5S
Samsung Galaxy S4
32GB nexus 4

I had 17 more but won't bother listing them.

SHIFT_tapatalk Note 3

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 "back up"

Had...

hTc one. I had two of them, 32GB.
64GB Apple iPhone 5S
Samsung Galaxy S4
32GB nexus 4

I had 17 more but won't bother listing them.

SHIFT_tapatalk Note 3

I asked because I wonder what past experience set your expectation of LG that an Android OS update should be out within 2 months of Google releasing it.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I honestly can't get over all of the entitlement mentality in this thread. Samsung used to be the worst of the worst in regards to updates and now they are one of the better ones in that regard. As I said in multiple threads, LG appears to literally be following in Samsung's footsteps (minus having to deal with bloated legacy code in their UI) which is a good thing. Also, as stated in other threads, there appears to be official LG documents that state that Google and LG are working closely together to get updates to their non-Nexus phones out quicker than any other manufacturer in history.

So you cannot just flippantly say that "LG had no intentions of upgrading to 4.4". What is with the word had? Kit Kat isn't even out. The Nexus 5 isn't even out so how can people be so flippant and judgemental when there isn't even anything to upgrade to yet? Also, delays cannot always be blamed on the manufacturer. For all we know LG may already have 4.4 ready for the G2 and they may just have to wait a month or so to give the Nexus 5 time to sell and then on top of that you have the carriers that need to test the update.

That being said, unless you are on the LG mobile development or management team you have absolutely no insight whatsoever as to what the plans are. And if you think you "know" LG, just remember that the so called best Android manufacturer was in the exact same boat just 2 short iterations ago.

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't get over all of the entitlement mentality in this thread. Samsung used to be the worst of the worst in regards to updates and now they are one of the better ones in that regard. As I said in multiple threads, LG appears to literally be following in Samsung's footsteps (minus having to deal with bloated legacy code in their UI) which is a good thing. Also, as stated in other threads, there appears to be official LG documents that state that Google and LG are working closely together to get updates to their non-Nexus phones out quicker than any other manufacturer in history.

So you cannot just flippantly say that "LG had no intentions of upgrading to 4.4". What is with the word had? Kit Kat isn't even out. The Nexus 5 isn't even out so how can people be so flippant and judgemental when there isn't even anything to upgrade to yet? Also, delays cannot always be blamed on the manufacturer. For all we know LG may already have 4.4 ready for the G2 and they may just have to wait a month or so to give the Nexus 5 time to sell and then on top of that you have the carriers that need to test the update.

That being said, unless you are on the LG mobile development or management team you have absolutely no insight whatsoever as to what the plans are. And if you think you "know" LG, just remember that the so called best Android manufacturer was in the exact same boat just 2 short iterations ago.

+1000

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

It's great when people actually use their brain and not their emotions.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Honestly with lgs latest devices lg optimous g and lg g2 and now g glex. They all seem to be competing against samsung devices

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will G2 get KitKat? Will people learn to use the search function within these forums? Stayed tuned...

Also, do people even know why they are asking for 4.4? If you havent noticed, most of the big changes are happening within the Google Apps themselves. Google has also added things like Google Setting and Play Services to make a lot of changes. They are doing this to get around the carrier and phone makers BS. Any small aesthetic changes (ie status bar) that will come with 4.4 wont change anything on the G2 anyway because of the skin overlay from LG.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Will G2 get KitKat? Will people learn to use the search function within these forums? Stayed tuned...

Also, do people even know why they are asking for 4.4? If you havent noticed, most of the big changes are happening within the Google Apps themselves. Google has also added things like Google Setting and Play Services to make a lot of changes. They are doing this to get around the carrier and phone makers BS. Any small aesthetic changes (ie status bar) that will come with 4.4 wont change anything on the G2 anyway because of the skin overlay from LG.

Well there may still be some significant changes like always on voice commands and active notifications, but generally yeah, unless LG allows you to make folders look like stock, you won't notice a huge difference. I mean you can already make it look like Kit Kat just by using themes. That's what is so cool about this phone. I remember creating themes for my Storm and I loved it. I may end up making themes for this phone now.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well there may still be some significant changes like always on voice commands and active notifications, but generally yeah, unless LG allows you to make folders look like stock, you won't notice a huge difference. I mean you can already make it look like Kit Kat just by using themes. That's what is so cool about this phone. I remember creating themes for my Storm and I loved it. I may end up making themes for this phone now.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

I agree, the options to customize this phone are awesome. Took me a while to theme it like I wanted, but I finally got it. Gonna start working on more soon.

Via Jonesey's G2 from hell, er, Verizon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon