LG G2 - GPS Issues

Ap_Kap

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I managed to find the reason of the GPS issue in my LG G2. I have found a work arround to my problem!

the problem was solved when i pressed with my fingers the top right corner of the phone where the GPS antenna is located as the antenna is attached to the back cover of the phone and its connected with the board with 2 pin connectors. The GPS is now working fine with instant permanent locks! :)) Probably the connection between antenna and the actual board is loosy and the GPS antenna loses its sensitivity to catch the signal.

I had that idea when I saw a video about GPS fix on nexus 5 phone. Please check it

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBpNtWvY454

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I managed to find the reason of the GPS issue in my LG G2. I have found a work arround to my problem!

the problem was solved when i pressed with my fingers the top right corner of the phone where the GPS antenna is located as the antenna is attached to the back cover of the phone and its connected with the board with 2 pin connectors. The GPS is now working fine with instant permanent locks! :)) Probably the connection between antenna and the actual board is loosy and the GPS antenna loses its sensitivity to catch the signal.

I had that idea when I saw a video about GPS fix on nexus 5 phone. Please check it

So, a dang hardware/manufacturing issue after all? Glad it's working for you now, but that stinks.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

Has anyone been able to duplicate these results with the Verizon version of the LG G2?

yahfargo

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to duplicate these results with the Verizon version of the LG G2?

I used to have locking troubles with my Verizon G2. The shortest time to lock was probably 30 seconds, it was usually closer to a minute. It also used to have an error of 33-60 feet. As per the hint here I pinched fairly hard on the top right of the device, troubles are gone or at least much better. It locks in under 10 seconds, sometimes a few more, and the GPS error is now only 8-15 feet! I've only pinched it that one time and it still seems to be locking fast a month or 2 later, its not something you need to do every time you use your GPS. I'd give it a try on your VZ g2, I feel like it will improve it at least somewhat. Let us know if it helps

LordDraco

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
For your information guys.

I finally found the solution for my GPS problem. It seem that my LG Flip Case somehow blocking the GPS signal. I took it off and try to lock in GPS again. It work well and lock on almost immediately.

I may need new case for my LG G2.

Sent from my LG-D802 using AC Forums mobile app

Sanderm

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
my problem is solved using the nexus 5 fix... there was a very good visible difference... from 5 sattelites all the time and totally not stable to 18/19 sattelites and very stable.

open the case... put some paper behind the antenna so it will make better contact and its fixed. i needed to open the case 2 times because i had not enough paper behind the antenna

UberSlacker

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I used to have locking troubles with my Verizon G2. The shortest time to lock was probably 30 seconds, it was usually closer to a minute. It also used to have an error of 33-60 feet. As per the hint here I pinched fairly hard on the top right of the device, troubles are gone or at least much better. It locks in under 10 seconds, sometimes a few more, and the GPS error is now only 8-15 feet! I've only pinched it that one time and it still seems to be locking fast a month or 2 later, its not something you need to do every time you use your GPS. I'd give it a try on your VZ g2, I feel like it will improve it at least somewhat. Let us know if it helps

"Month or 2" ?? Can't be more than a month since you stated you followed the tip post only 1 month before you posted.

----------------

Seriously ticked off that Verizon's only solution is to replace the craptastic device. Spent over an hour with the morons that call themselves "tech coaches" and "tech support".. They had me try different GPS Apps, disable this and that, reboot the phone over and over, factory reset (even though I tried all that myself before calling in.) One rep said he would research the issue and call me back in a couple hours... 4 days later I called back myself, argued with the next rep because he wanted me to do the same "troubleshooting" again, he hung up.. Called back 3 days later finally got a replacement shipped ... Activated it a few days ago and STILL have issues with the GPS. I live about 15 min from the nearest lake and yet if I stand in my front porch according to the GPS I'm standing in the middle of a lake, once I was standing on the runway of the airport 1 hr away. Original device even had me standing in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, 7 hrs away from me!

I've had a new Android device since the T-Mobile G1 and have never had a GPS issue until switching to Verizon's LG G2.

Maybe its all this dam crapware(malware) Verizon preloads on the device. Don't k ow what else it could be, but they need to fix it cause I use GPS for work to find clients home. Much easier to tap there address in the contact list than it is to type the address in the car GPS.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
"Month or 2" ?? Can't be more than a month since you stated you followed the tip post only 1 month before you posted.

----------------

Seriously ticked off that Verizon's only solution is to replace the craptastic device. Spent over an hour with the morons that call themselves "tech coaches" and "tech support".. They had me try different GPS Apps, disable this and that, reboot the phone over and over, factory reset (even though I tried all that myself before calling in.) One rep said he would research the issue and call me back in a couple hours... 4 days later I called back myself, argued with the next rep because he wanted me to do the same "troubleshooting" again, he hung up.. Called back 3 days later finally got a replacement shipped ... Activated it a few days ago and STILL have issues with the GPS. I live about 15 min from the nearest lake and yet if I stand in my front porch according to the GPS I'm standing in the middle of a lake, once I was standing on the runway of the airport 1 hr away. Original device even had me standing in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, 7 hrs away from me!

I've had a new Android device since the T-Mobile G1 and have never had a GPS issue until switching to Verizon's LG G2.

Maybe its all this dam crapware(malware) Verizon preloads on the device. Don't k ow what else it could be, but they need to fix it cause I use GPS for work to find clients home. Much easier to tap there address in the contact list than it is to type the address in the car GPS.

Seriously, I think it's Verizon. Look around all the forums here and 90% percent of the time someone says their gps isn't working they're on Verizon.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
My GPS prior to kit Kat was good, very useable and now is garbage. On Google maps, it gives initially location, but fails to update the position or does so a minute later; same goes for other app which require GPS input. On a side note, my data/internet hangs all of the time and fails to load pages or can't use apps. While kit Kat gave me much better battery life, it messed up a good phone. I'd go back to widows phone if it had my financial app 😤

posted from LG G2

yahfargo

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

----------------

I'm going to keep pushing the "pinch the top right corner trick". It's possible the Verizon versions are the ones affected because they're the only ones with built in wireless charging, and have different set of buttons meaning they're different in production from the rest of the standard builds. My roommate has a VZ g2 and was having trouble getting a lock 2 nights ago, I told him to pinch the corner, he did and he had a lock within a second. Coincidence? Would be a darn good one. I leave my gps off for days at a time when not using it, last night I turned gps on, immediately went into Maps and had a lock in 5 to 8 seconds, I will repeat, this NEVER happened before I pinched the top right corner.

So instead of being snarky with my estimate of a "month or 2" being a couple days short of a month, the least you could do is try it rather than blowing it off.

Edit** I will say your experience of GPS showing you thousands of miles away is different than most of typical VZ g2 GPS problems and the pinch method may do nothing, but I do believe in it for those with bad gps conneciton and only hitting a couple sattelites rather than multiple

Royboxer

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the LG quad and when the G2 arrived I couldn't wait to get one. The quad was fantastic and first impressions of the G2 are equally as impressive. today i tried using navigation on EE and it just wouldn't connect. I downloaded M8 from play store and it connected within seconds. Phoned EE and they said can you take it back to the shop, not so easy.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Since getting updated to Kitkat the GPS compass is all messed up. . LG get your Sh*t together, this is basic functionality that needs to work.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I tried the figure 8 calibration technique and I think that fixed the issue. The compass seems to be working properly now. I will need to keep an eye on this, if there are any changes I will report back

coop3422

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: gps app miss

I'm having the same issue. Since I've bought it it hasn't been able to connect to a GPS. My settings are set to high, everything it tells me to. If I'm using Google Maps and start a route and drive, the curser just stays in the same spot. Very annoying when my Nexus 4/5 S4 all worked flawlessly. A shame because I absolutely love the phone.

Going to try a few of the apps listed here to see if it tells me anything. This and forgetting my wifi passwords have been my only issues so far.

Jasaa

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This is a known issue with the G2 & LG is well aware of it. My husband, our roommate, my daughter & I will be driving in the car & my GPS is the only one not working. This model has over a dozen known issues that LG refuses to fix. I'm on my second one & this one has every one of these problems. It's a raving piece of crap. I am completely fed up!

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I was having periodic difficulty with the GPS getting a signal despite it being in a mount on my windshield. When I downloaded the GPS Status app one thing I noticed is that the compass feature of that app showed the compass was not aligned with true north but rather it was almost opposite of what it should be. GPS Status has a feature to recalibrate the compass. I did that and though it was only a couple of days ago, I have not had an issue with the GPS signal since. It could be coincidence or it could be real but my wife's g2 also had a compass that was off according to the GPS Status.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12